ADVERTISEMENT

Golf is in really good shape

mjvcaj

Hall of Famer
Jun 25, 2005
I've been hot and cold on golf over my lifetime, but last year I got back into it.

After searching for the next Tiger, it seems Golf have a sizable group of very good, talented young players that should make the PGA events much more competitive and hopefully even more fun to watch than when Tiger was at the top.

Just look at the top of the World Rankings list:

1) Spieth - 22 yo
2) Day - 28 yo
3) McIlroy, 26 yo
4) Watson, 37 yo
5) Stenson, 39 yo
6) Fowler, 27 yo
7) Rose, 35 yo
8) Johnson, 31 yo

That doesn't include fun players and good guys like Furyk, Zach Johnson, Mickelson, etc, Should be another exciting year.

I've been hot and cold on golf over my lifetime, but last year I got back into it.

After searching for the next Tiger, it seems Golf have a sizable group of very good, talented young players that should make the PGA events much more competitive and hopefully even more fun to watch than when Tiger was at the top.

1) Spieth - 22 yo
2) Day - 28 yo
3) McIlroy, 26 yo
4) Watson, 37 yo
5) Stenson, 39 yo
6) Fowler, 27 yo
7) Rose, 35 yo
8) Johnson, 31 yo

That doesn't include fun players and good guys like Furyk, Zach Johnson, Mickelson, etc, Should be another exciting year.

I agree on the PGA Tour being in great shape. But as far as non-professional golf goes, apparently it's never been worse.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/where-have-all-the-golfers-gone/

Golf is just fine.

play and spending are still high, just not as high as they were.

as for play, imo this is about those working are forced to work more hours and possibly less employer leagues, as cost cutting rules in business as it never has before.

millennials can't play and text at the same time, which is a deal killer for them.

as for spending on equipment, i think that is about tech flattening out.

from persimmon and steel shafts to 460cc titanium with graphite shafts, clubs got noticeably better and better and better.

but once things got capped at 460 cc, and everybody who wants them already have perimeter weighted irons and graphite shafts, improvements now are much more in very small increments, if any.

once you have a 460 cc titanium with maxed out COR, perimeter weighted irons, and lightweight graphite shafts, no huge need to buy new equipment.

and balls pretty much topped out with solid 3 piece urethane cover balls. (the basic pro v 1 type ball).

some manufactures tried upping it to 4 piece balls, but they aren't any better than the 3 piece balls. (whereas the 3 piece urethane balls are far better than the 2 piece balls).

all that said, imo the keepers of the game, The R&A, USGA, PGA, did the game a huge disservice in totally selling out to the manufacturers, and allowing tech to over run legacy courses in exchange for 30 yrs of increased club sales, that has now reached a wall, absent said gatekeepers selling out even further in the future, and allowing a whole new set of ball and driver specs than we have now to be legal.

play and spending are still high, just not as high as they were.

as for play, imo this is about those working are forced to work more hours and possibly less employer leagues, as cost cutting rules in business as it never has before.

millennials can't play and text at the same time, which is a deal killer for them.

as for spending on equipment, i think that is about tech flattening out.

from persimmon and steel shafts to 460cc titanium with graphite shafts, clubs got noticeably better and better and better.

but once things got capped at 460 cc, and everybody who wants them already have perimeter weighted irons and graphite shafts, improvements now are much more in very small increments, if any.

once you have a 460 cc titanium with maxed out COR, perimeter weighted irons, and lightweight graphite shafts, no huge need to buy new equipment.

and balls pretty much topped out with solid 3 piece urethane cover balls. (the basic pro v 1 type ball).

some manufactures tried upping it to 4 piece balls, but they aren't any better than the 3 piece balls. (whereas the 3 piece urethane balls are far better than the 2 piece balls).

all that said, imo the keepers of the game, The R&A, USGA, PGA, did the game a huge disservice in totally selling out to the manufacturers, and allowing tech to over run legacy courses in exchange for 30 yrs of increased club sales, that has now reached a wall, absent said gatekeepers selling out even further in the future, and allowing a whole new set of ball and driver specs than we have now to be legal.
After all that is maxed out, practice, play, get better and enjoy it more. I played over 150 rounds last year and like the game more and more. I have the same equipment as most other folks, buts its improving as a player and as a thinker that makes it more fun.

AND - as you age - MOVE UP!!! You'll like it even more.

I agree on the PGA Tour being in great shape. But as far as non-professional golf goes, apparently it's never been worse.

There have been too many golf courses built (usually around real estate development speculation), so now they are in a cut throat race for revenue.

Golf has just been re-balancing after the Tiger bump, that brought a lot of new people into the game, that didn't stay.

Golf is without a doubt difficult and time consuming.

It can be expensive, but certainly doesn't have to be. A lot of that is geographic....Golf in the Midwest, and Indiana in particular, is very cheap to play (GolfNow). You can procure very nice clubs on the used market (GolfWrx or eBay), for very cheap prices.

2015 saw an increase in rounds played and equipment sold per Golf datatech and the PGA.

It's down from the peak in 2005, but the economic recession hurt golf as much as anything. The biggest problems for golf participation moving forward are:
  • It's costly to play
  • Time is scarce, particularly as people work longer and harder than they were 10 years earlier (not only does it take ~4 hours for a round, but it is harder and more costly to find decent tee times if you are a working professional)
  • It has to compete with more and more alternative activities
That being said, with such fun, young players on tour, I am certain it will begin to pick up again in popularity. The best part is, these guys are all good role models (at least to this point), sans Dustin Johnson. I'm optimistic about the future, but there are certainly challenges.

2015 saw an increase in rounds played and equipment sold per Golf datatech and the PGA.

It's down from the peak in 2005, but the economic recession hurt golf as much as anything. The biggest problems for golf participation moving forward are:
  • It's costly to play
  • Time is scarce, particularly as people work longer and harder than they were 10 years earlier (not only does it take ~4 hours for a round, but it is harder and more costly to find decent tee times if you are a working professional)
  • It has to compete with more and more alternative activities
That being said, with such fun, young players on tour, I am certain it will begin to pick up again in popularity. The best part is, these guys are all good role models (at least to this point), sans Dustin Johnson. I'm optimistic about the future, but there are certainly challenges.

I don't disagree that golf is great - although my scores are trending in the wrong direction. The issue that golf is going to have to face is income inequality. Golf has a very high cost barrier to entry and to play. The more that the middle class shrinks, golf will suffer.

Golf has traditionally been something that upper classers and middle classers could get together and enjoy, but that's becoming more rare, to your point.

I'm not ready to give up on DJ yet, and his marrying skills are quite fearsome. If you want to read a good book about the new breed, read Slaying the Tiger by Shane Ryan. He really shows how psychologically screwed up these guys are, because they have to be, in order to make it in a non-team sport.

I don't disagree that golf is great - although my scores are trending in the wrong direction. The issue that golf is going to have to face is income inequality. Golf has a very high cost barrier to entry and to play. The more that the middle class shrinks, golf will suffer.

Golf has traditionally been something that upper classers and middle classers could get together and enjoy, but that's becoming more rare, to your point.

That is true and something I have thought about. Course competition is fierce. The problem becomes maintenance. Courses that cannot afford to be maintained well just don't seem to last, even if they are at a lower price point.

I believe that the demographic trends are favorable for golf as boomers retire in relatively good health. The bigger challenge is getting and keeping younger generations interested.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa

I'm not ready to give up on DJ yet, and his marrying skills are quite fearsome. If you want to read a good book about the new breed, read Slaying the Tiger by Shane Ryan. He really shows how psychologically screwed up these guys are, because they have to be, in order to make it in a non-team sport.
Great thing about being in the military is that military courses don't cost much for us to play. Some bases even make it free for the junior enlisted personnel. I have to pay but it's not a lot so I took it up a few years ago. I'm not good but I like it. I still rarely break 100 and haven't broken 90 yet but I can feel it getting close. I hit it a long way and that's a lot of fun. More fun when it ends up someplace where I can play it. :) I don't watch it much on TV but now I understand what they're doing when I do.

Reactions: twenty02 and mjvcaj
Great thing about being in the military is that military courses don't cost much for us to play. Some bases even make it free for the junior enlisted personnel. I have to pay but it's not a lot so I took it up a few years ago. I'm not good but I like it. I still rarely break 100 and haven't broken 90 yet but I can feel it getting close. I hit it a long way and that's a lot of fun. More fun when it ends up someplace where I can play it. :) I don't watch it much on TV but now I understand what they're doing when I do.

Two things:
  1. Unsubsidized golf is expensive to play a decent course. You can play a cow path for $30, but you're spending more to play a pleasantly kept course.
  2. My advice is to take lessons early. I never did and it's taken me 20 years to become competent. I shoot in the 80s consistently and after 20 years I should be much better than that.

Two things:
  1. Unsubsidized golf is expensive to play a decent course. You can play a cow path for $30, but you're spending more to play a pleasantly kept course.
  2. My advice is to take lessons early. I never did and it's taken me 20 years to become competent. I shoot in the 80s consistently and after 20 years I should be much better than that.

80s is pretty good IMO. I've debated about lessons but sometimes find it hard to translate mechanics perfected at a class or instruction on to the actual course. Perhaps I just get too distracted by the scenery, environment, etc.

80s is pretty good IMO. I've debated about lessons but sometimes find it hard to translate mechanics perfected at a class or instruction on to the actual course. Perhaps I just get too distracted by the scenery, environment, etc.

You mean beer?

Reactions: mike41703
Two things:
I haven't checked to verify this but the people at our base courses say that they're not subsidized now other than they're allowed to use base owned property without paying rent. Otherwise they have to pay for everything from their greens fees. I'm told that as cheap as it is to play now it used to be way cheaper. Both courses are in good shape. One is a little nicer than the other but not a lot nicer. They compare pretty good with the courses I've played off base for twice as much.

I'm taking lessons this summer.

Two things:
in the midwest, you can play really nice courses for $20 bucks and less. (i suppose "nice" is a subjective term, so i'll add imo).

i've played nice cheap courses around LA as well.

look for afternoon and evening specials. (i love evening golf. cheap, not crowded).

i'd maybe be willing to throw down some money to play Augusta National or Pebble Beach or St. Andrews once each, just for the experience, (i realize that's not happening at Augusta), but other than those 3, i wouldn't spend big bucks on any course, when there are so many great much cheaper courses to be played.

being i'm way too old to be anal like McNutt, i play for fun and exercise, so no aversion to rolling it or the occasional, (or not so occasional), mulligan.

i love the excitement of hitting a great shot, more than i play for score.

once you don't feel the need to play it down all the time, you can save $40 - $100 a round on green fees.

i like cheap courses, because they allow me play much more often. (9 holes is pretty much my max any more, and i love to play in the evening when the course is almost empty on the front, and walk maybe 5 holes playing 3 balls).

with my arthritis, maximum shots for minimum walking is the best strategy, so playing multiple balls for fewer holes works out great.

golf is one of those things where you can spend a fortune, or play cheap and have just as much fun.

i have really nice clubs, so no need to upgrade anymore there. (like i said above, once you have a good 460 cc driver and good quality perimeter weighted irons, you're pretty much set, as rules pretty much limit things from there).

just don't ever try playing with worn grips. no one is good enough to pull that off.

if your grips aren't in great shape, re-grip. (cheapest way to drastically improve your clubs and game)

i am addicted to premium balls though, so usually get a dozen pro v 1s for Christmas every yr, and buy some used premium balls off ebay every spring to fill out my quota. (evening golf plus playing more than one ball does lead to more lost balls).

Last edited:
i am addicted to premium balls though, so usually get a dozen pro v 1s for Christmas every yr, and buy some used premium balls off ebay every spring to fill out my quota. (evening golf plus playing more than one ball does lead to more lost balls).

lostgolfballs.com

Great site. I've had good success with the quality.

Reactions: twenty02
lostgolfballs.com

Great site. I've had good success with the quality.
Agree also try knetgolf.com and there is a new Maxfli ball out - Softfli - that, for my swing speed, I hit further than anything there is ---and straight, too.

1) Spieth - 22 yo
2) Day - 28 yo
3) McIlroy, 26 yo
4) Watson, 37 yo
5) Stenson, 39 yo
6) Fowler, 27 yo
7) Rose, 35 yo
8) Johnson, 31 yo

Professional golf is in great shape, love it! I have heard about the problems public courses are having but I don't play public courses much, so I don't see it. Belonging to a course makes it so much more enjoyable. There are 30 guys I play golf with routinely (3 or 4 different choose-ups with 4 or 5 tee times on various days of the week). All you have to do is call the club and get added to the list. Having to heard cats to get a foursome put together and get a tee time would be a pain.

Public courses need to work more proactively to create mens clubs (and women's) have set tee times so that guys can call in as a single and play with a group. I know there are courses that do that now but there is resistance. In the long run it would pay off.

So, Jordan Spieth hit a spectator in the butt in Abu Dhabi.

The commentator said "Dear, dear.....that was nearly a plugged lie."

Watch:

Reactions: Brockway
Professional golf is in great shape, love it! I have heard about the problems public courses are having but I don't play public courses much, so I don't see it. Belonging to a course makes it so much more enjoyable. There are 30 guys I play golf with routinely (3 or 4 different choose-ups with 4 or 5 tee times on various days of the week). All you have to do is call the club and get added to the list. Having to heard cats to get a foursome put together and get a tee time would be a pain.

Public courses need to work more proactively to create mens clubs (and women's) have set tee times so that guys can call in as a single and play with a group. I know there are courses that do that now but there is resistance. In the long run it would pay off.

Well, Mr. fancy pants, I guess we know who everyone is complaining about with income inequality! ;).

I've thrown around the idea of joining a club the next couple of years, but part of me does enjoy variety. I'm ADD (apparently the term now is ADHD) by nature, so I do worry about getting sick of the same track. However, I also see your point about playing with a good variety of guys and building relationships. The biggest benefit of the clubs is tee time selection. Thus, I am torn on the CC or GC model.

As far as public courses go, I have found that the good public courses are always busy and still in good shape. I'm not exactly certain what breaks that iterative cycle, but clearly it happens along the way.

I played in a Sunday morning gangsome for years. Most of us were members of the club. Some just paid the greens fees. We used to travel somewhere out of town about every five or six weeks to break up the monotony.

Well, Mr. fancy pants, I guess we know who everyone is complaining about with income inequality! ;).

I've thrown around the idea of joining a club the next couple of years, but part of me does enjoy variety. I'm ADD (apparently the term now is ADHD) by nature, so I do worry about getting sick of the same track. However, I also see your point about playing with a good variety of guys and building relationships. The biggest benefit of the clubs is tee time selection. Thus, I am torn on the CC or GC model.

As far as public courses go, I have found that the good public courses are always busy and still in good shape. I'm not exactly certain what breaks that iterative cycle, but clearly it happens along the way.

I think creating a relatively affordable private club, without all the bullshit frills like maxed-out clubhouses and caddies and stuff might have success if the price can be kept low.

Public course men's leagues are the bane of the golf world. They're a bunch of entitled hackers that think they own the course when the league is playing. They pay their low negotiated rate and the barrier of entry is too low so you get a bunch of blue jeans wearing, shirtless a-holes that ruin the game.

I'd be all for joining a club that wasn't all souped up and focused on golf for a moderate membership fee. That club would be trying to attract middle class professionals that want to play with etiquette and keep the hacker riff raff away.

Maybe interactive brokers or a forex platform. Go long a basket if you can, otherwise use the USD.

Interactive brokers doesn't nor any forex platform. I think the only way is through some kind of currency future derivatives contracts? No idea how to access that. I'm also thinking a Yuan short might be a good play.

I think creating a relatively affordable private club, without all the bullshit frills like maxed-out clubhouses and caddies and stuff might have success if the price can be kept low.

Public course men's leagues are the bane of the golf world. They're a bunch of entitled hackers that think they own the course when the league is playing. They pay their low negotiated rate and the barrier of entry is too low so you get a bunch of blue jeans wearing, shirtless a-holes that ruin the game.

I'd be all for joining a club that wasn't all souped up and focused on golf for a moderate membership fee. That club would be trying to attract middle class professionals that want to play with etiquette and keep the hacker riff raff away.

Not sure where you are, but Indy is filled with clubs as you describe. The vast majority of private clubs throughout the Midwest are like that, and are all fighting hard for members. I've been a member at a couple different ones and it's a very good experience.

What one considers a 'low' price is, of course, relative.

Joining the club is one of the best decisions Ive made. All the BS about where to play, who's going to play and when, evaporates. In short, there is always a game. There is some form of a choose-up every day except Monday that has 3 to 6 tee times, all you have to do is call the club and add your name. The issue of it being the same course is easily overcome by the camaraderie and competition. That is just one guys opinion so take it for what it is worth.

Reactions: mjvcaj

I had to quit a club a couple years ago bc of having 3 kids. I have seen you post about having a kid, I think. Good luck. I know a couple guys my age that still make it work but with travel for work and kids' sports and vacations it makes it nearly impossible to get my money's worth at a club anymore. Hopefully, once the kids get older things will swing back in favor of playing more golf.

Oh, and then there's my Charles Barkley mental swing issue thing(ever seen the videos with him and Hank? They are truly hilarious).

I'm not so sure. There is a club up here that I have played at with a friend of mine. Down-stroke was ~$5,000 and the annual dues and food and beverage minimums are very affordable. It's a golf-only club, so there are no other distractions.

However, it is struggling according to my friend. Membership is down quite a bit since he joined 3-4 years ago and it sounds like several are migrating to more traditional clubs.

I realize this is anecdotal, but to me, paying more to get access to a work out facility, tennis courts, pool, etc. seems worth it with a family. My wife doesn't golf, so at least she could accompany me to the club and find other things to do. Just my thought.

I had to quit a club a couple years ago bc of having 3 kids. I have seen you post about having a kid, I think. Good luck. I know a couple guys my age that still make it work but with travel for work and kids' sports and vacations it makes it nearly impossible to get my money's worth at a club anymore. Hopefully, once the kids get older things will swing back in favor of playing more golf.

Oh, and then there's my Charles Barkley mental swing issue thing(ever seen the videos with him and Hank? They are truly hilarious).

The guys with young kids do struggle. They usually have the earliest tee times on the weekend and are long gone by the time I get to the clubhouse. Family responsibilities make it difficult. Upside of an empty nest!

Correct, have a newborn and thank you. I hadn't thought about the vacations and kids' sports conflict. Good point.

Did you kids and wife enjoy hanging around the club when you were around more often? I should be clear that my wife grew up going to a tennis and swimming club (sounds similar to a CC except without the golf element), but she is quite anti-CC. She's not a stuffy person and hates dealing with fake people. So I may be on my own anyway.

Joining the club is one of the best decisions Ive made. All the BS about where to play, who's going to play and when, evaporates. In short, there is always a game. There is some form of a choose-up every day except Monday that has 3 to 6 tee times, all you have to do is call the club and add your name. The issue of it being the same course is easily overcome by the camaraderie and competition. That is just one guys opinion so take it for what it is worth.

I appreciate the opinion and thoughts. It's something I still have some time to mull over.

I'm not so sure. There is a club up here that I have played at with a friend of mine. Down-stroke was ~$5,000 and the annual dues and food and beverage minimums are very affordable. It's a golf-only club, so there are no other distractions.

However, it is struggling according to my friend. Membership is down quite a bit since he joined 3-4 years ago and it sounds like several are migrating to more traditional clubs.

I realize this is anecdotal, but to me, paying more to get access to a work out facility, tennis courts, pool, etc. seems worth it with a family. My wife doesn't golf, so at least she could accompany me to the club and find other things to do. Just my thought.

Golf courses are expensive. Our course has ~360 golf members that have access to everything and 2000 or so social members that have access to everything other then the championship course. But the club is heavily dependent on the dues the social members pay. if you take away the pools, tennis courts, workout facility, and restaurant you have no social members. No social members, no club.

A whole lot of private golf/country clubs have been struggling the past 20 years or so. Mine had mostly been able to avoid the bloodletting. But I'm not sure how much longer that's going to hold out. When I joined, the Init fee was $15K and they had no problem keeping a full roster. Today, that fee has dropped below $5K and they're doing everything they can to entice new members to join.

Victoria National, which is the high-rent golf club in my neck of the woods, began life in the mid-90s with a $50K I-fee. From what I've heard, it's now below $10K.

Part of this is the continued sluggish economy, of course. But I think a lot of it is just a social trend -- one which includes the declining popularity of golf, but isn't limited to that.

Interactive brokers doesn't nor any forex platform. I think the only way is through some kind of currency future derivatives contracts? No idea how to access that. I'm also thinking a Yuan short might be a good play.

Interesting. Only possible option might be a broker at a multinational bank (i.e. Citi), but unless you have a big trade, not sure it would be worth the fees.

How much further do you think it will go? You are definitely late to the Yuan trade.

BDdLnsg.png

Golf courses are expensive. Our course has ~360 golf members that have access to everything and 2000 or so social members that have access to everything other then the championship course. But the club is heavily dependent on the dues the social members pay. if you take away the pools, tennis courts, workout facility, and restaurant you have no social members. No social members, no club.

I agree

Correct, have a newborn and thank you. I hadn't thought about the vacations and kids' sports conflict. Good point.

Did you kids and wife enjoy hanging around the club when you were around more often? I should be clear that my wife grew up going to a tennis and swimming club (sounds similar to a CC except without the golf element), but she is quite anti-CC. She's not a stuffy person and hates dealing with fake people. So I may be on my own anyway.

Yeah we liked it a lot. They had poker events a couple times a year and march madness was a blast there. They had some fun scramble tourneys and a Par 3 tournament that was great. Oh well. Can't burn the candle at both ends all the time.

Reactions: mjvcaj
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT