ADVERTISEMENT

Glass still optimistic about IU-Kentucky series revival

Squonk too

Benchwarmer
May 18, 2019
https://www.woodwardnews.net/cnhi_n...cle_39c0e1f7-fbdd-516c-97fd-0ce5fecd1f8a.html

"BLOOMINGTON — Despite Kentucky basketball coach John Calipari’s proclamation his non-conference schedule is locked in for the next five years, Indiana athletic director Fred Glass remains hopeful the annual Indiana-Kentucky series could be revived sooner."

“I continue to be optimistic,” Glass said. “I read the report, and I think there were some things that were lost in translation as far as what we’re willing to do in terms of venue. I’m optimistic we can continue to have those conversations and look forward to engaging in those conversations.”

It seems simple enough: Yum and Lucas/Bankers Life.

Reactions: kkott
Why does Glass feel a need to keep addressing this? He needs to shut up, build a schedule with teams that are agreeable, and quit trying to hump UK’s leg. He comes across as desperate.
Agreed glass is ass. I would like to see the rivalry start back up again

Why does Glass feel a need to keep addressing this? He needs to shut up, build a schedule with teams that are agreeable, and quit trying to hump UK’s leg. He comes across as desperate.

Fred Glass was asked a question by a reporter, Fred answered it, the reporter wrote a story about his response. He is only addressing it because people keep asking him about it. He did not bring this up on his own out of thin air and it certainly doesn't look like he's humping anyone's leg.

The reporter is doing his job by creating content/getting clicks. Part of Fred's job is attempting to answer such questions when asked.

I would agree that there are times where it is fair to be critical of Fred Glass, but this particular criticism is unfair, IMO.

All he has to do is briefly say “nothing new on that front” and move on. He can’t shut up and it makes him look weak and desperate.

Reactions: BaxterIU
https://www.woodwardnews.net/cnhi_n...cle_39c0e1f7-fbdd-516c-97fd-0ce5fecd1f8a.html

"BLOOMINGTON — Despite Kentucky basketball coach John Calipari’s proclamation his non-conference schedule is locked in for the next five years, Indiana athletic director Fred Glass remains hopeful the annual Indiana-Kentucky series could be revived sooner."

“I continue to be optimistic,” Glass said. “I read the report, and I think there were some things that were lost in translation as far as what we’re willing to do in terms of venue. I’m optimistic we can continue to have those conversations and look forward to engaging in those
Change the Crossroads Classic to IU, Kentucky, Louisville, and one of Notre Dame, Purdue, or Butler. If Purdue isn't in it, that means every team will be able to play the other three. The way it is now, IU can't play Purdue.

Will Chicken John Calipari agree?
I think cal would do it on a neutral court like it used to be in Louisville or Indianapolis. That way both teams could benefit from not just a recruiting standpoint but as a revenue standpoint as well.

He needs to let it go, there are a lot of teams that would love to play IU in the non conference. I know there are some people that loved this game for nostalgia purposes, but I'm sure there are plenty of us out here that would be happy with any elite opponent to fill that slot.

I know I would, he needs to quit talking about it.

Last edited:
Glass ‘read the report’

How about calling one of the top AD’s in the NCAA’s and speaking to them directly...what a goofball statement by Glass...

Even if bball didnt pan out, could learn a lot from Barnhart...has UK rolling in many sports...

Reactions: IUgradman
Kentucky fans are too busy laughing at are underachieving program to want to worry about playing us. Ask Wall2Boogie. He knows how the feel over on RR.

Reactions: cryano
He needs to let it go, there are a lot of teams that would love to play IU in that slot. I know there are some people that loved this game for nostalgia purposes, but I'm sure there plenty of us out there that would be happy with any elite opponent to fill that slot.

Like Arizona...

The point is that Kentucky vs. Indiana matchup is organically a sell-out, regardless of the size of the venue. And a huge TV market.

Reactions: WildcatDJ
Will Chicken John Calipari agree?

Why do you refer to Calipari as "Chicken John"?

It's clear (to the unbiased) that UK plays a challenging schedule every year.

From the article linked above:

Last June, when asked what it would take to revive the Indiana-Kentucky series, Calipari said it would be difficult based on the number of neutral court events the Wildcats are committed to each season, which includes the annual Champions Classic with Duke, Kansas and Michigan State and the recently formed CBS Classic with UCLA, North Carolina and Ohio State. Kentucky plays Louisville annually in a home-and-home series this year and recently announced a two-game series with Georgia Tech, with Georgia Tech coming to Rupp Arena in December and Kentucky playing Georgia Tech at the Phillips Center in Atlanta for the 2020-21 season. The game at the Phillips Center, the home of the NBA’s Atlanta Hawks, would be a neutral site.

Reactions: Wall2Boogie
Why do you refer to Calipari as "Chicken John"?

It's clear (to the unbiased) that UK plays a challenging schedule every year.

From the article linked above:

Last June, when asked what it would take to revive the Indiana-Kentucky series, Calipari said it would be difficult based on the number of neutral court events the Wildcats are committed to each season, which includes the annual Champions Classic with Duke, Kansas and Michigan State and the recently formed CBS Classic with UCLA, North Carolina and Ohio State. Kentucky plays Louisville annually in a home-and-home series this year and recently announced a two-game series with Georgia Tech, with Georgia Tech coming to Rupp Arena in December and Kentucky playing Georgia Tech at the Phillips Center in Atlanta for the 2020-21 season. The game at the Phillips Center, the home of the NBA’s Atlanta Hawks, would be a neutral site.

I think it is because Cal is afraid to play a true road game in a strong opponent's home gym. Your info above seems to substantiate that.

Calipari is a "chicken" for vowing to never return to Assembly Hall. His last memory will be a humiliating loss to IU whose ending was replayed as a commercial on ESPN for over a year. Tough guy Cal is actually very thin skinned. Calipari is over-rated.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimmygoiu
Calipari prefers to play games on neutral courts because post-season games are played on neutral courts -- typically big arenas.

I enjoyed when the Indiana - Kentucky games were played on neutral courts (Indianapolis and Louisville).

I enjoyed seeing the camera pan over the "50-yard line" seats with red on one side, blue on the other.

Calipari prefers to play games on neutral courts because post-season games are played on neutral courts -- typically big arenas.

I enjoyed when the Indiana - Kentucky games were played on neutral courts (Indianapolis and Louisville).

I enjoyed seeing the camera pan over the "50-yard line" seats with red on one side, blue on the other.
Excuse train Calipari refuses to ever play again in Assembly Hall.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
No Home
No Play[/QUOT

Agree 100%. The Lucas Oil game is a chance for UK to play on a big recruiting stage in Indianapolis. There are a lot of good basketball players in Indianapolis....there are very few in Louisville. The situation does not favor IU, plus I hate the smell when all those Kentuckians congregate in one place.

I think it is because Cal is afraid to play a true road game in a strong opponent's home gym. Your info above seems to substantiate that.
I couldn’t agree more. Maybe Kansas and unc on their home courts don’t count. West Virginia with the Knox team wasn’t too shabby either

Agree 100%. The Lucas Oil game is a chance for UK to play on a big recruiting stage in Indianapolis. There are a lot of good basketball players in Indianapolis....there are very few in Louisville. The situation does not favor IU, plus I hate the smell when all those Kentuckians congregate in one place.

I agree with this, risk vs reward for IU with the games alternating between LOS/UL was wholly out of whack in UK's favor. And conversely, though we as IU fans are loathe to admit, the risk vs reward for UK playing a home/home series against IU is wholly out of whack in IU's favor. Considering where we have been from a W/L and program power standpoint, UK had very little to gain by beating an IU team either @ home or away venue, and much more to lose by dropping a game to IU in both recruiting and tourney seeding.

Does that make Cal a chicken? Yeah, he is a bit when considering the tradition and border rivalry between the two schools...but he is a smart one.

Didn't you guys play UL in indy?
The most recent series with Louisville was a 3-game agreement that included 1 game in Indianapolis (2016), 1 game in Louisville (2017), and 1 game in Bloomington (2018).

I believe Indiana has offered a similar arrangement to UK in the past (combination of campus and neutral sites) but it was declined.

He needs to let it go, there are a lot of teams that would love to play IU in the non conference. I know there are some people that loved this game for nostalgia purposes, but I'm sure there are plenty of us out here that would be happy with any elite opponent to fill that slot.

I agree.....why would we want to play them anyway right now? Had we played them every year since '13 we'd have about 5 more losses in the series. If & when we get back to being good it will get worked out.

The most recent series with Louisville was a 3-game agreement that included 1 game in Indianapolis (2016), 1 game in Louisville (2017), and 1 game in Bloomington (2018).

I believe Indiana has offered a similar arrangement to UK in the past (combination of campus and neutral sites) but it was declined.
But I was talking about UL. Not sure how UK got involved with it.

Why not IU then?
Everyone says this. Every time a team has a few good years they say "Uk is afraid to play us." Can't play everyone just because they become good for a short period of time. Also if the schedule is locked up for 5 years from now, what would you like them to do in the next 5 years regarding this?

Everyone says this. Every time a team has a few good years they say "Uk is afraid to play us." Can't play everyone just because they become good for a short period of time. Also if the schedule is locked up for 5 years from now, what would you like them to do in the next 5 years regarding this?

UK can play IU if they want to. NO college team in basketball has a full schedule even 2 years in advance, much less 5 years. Where did you get 5 years from, anyway?

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT