ADVERTISEMENT

Gameday article for the Purdue series...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
We need to keep an eye out for schedule changes for this series since it will be a rainy weekend in Bloomington.

Purdue is battling it out for a playoff spot in the B1G tournament and are tied with three other teams at 10-8 so beyond it being a rivalry series, it is an important series in getting one of the playoff spots for them.

Purdue, for the second year in a row, played such as weak non-conference schedule which is ranked at 273 out of 305 D-1 schedules that IMO they were pretty much relegated to winning the B1G tournament to get into the NCAAs before the season even began.

Purdue is a better team than their current RPI of 210, but again they have been dragged down by their schedule and some bad losses to bad teams. Right now, they are 3-3 against Q3 teams and 16-8 against Q4 teams. They do have one win over Maryland on the road and have won 2 of 3 at home against Rutgers, so this won't be an easy series for IU which is currently at a RPI of 31.

We will see our old friend Paul Toetz who is one of Purdue's better hitters at .326 with 9 homers and 13 doubles. He will probably be drafted high enough that this will be his last season with them, but I really don't know where the draft gurus have him at in that respect.

IU is 6th in the B1G in team batting at .293, while Purdue is 8th at .278.
IU is 5th in pitching with a team ERA of 5.12, while Purdue is 4th at 5.03.
IU is 8th in fielding, while Purdue is 11th.

On Friday, it will be RHP Luke Sinnard on the mound with an ERA of 4.05 in 66.2 IP.
Purdue will have RHP Khal Stephen on the mound with an ERA of 3.93 in 66.1 IP.

Right now, the starting pitchers for both teams in Games 2 and 3 are listed as TBA.

Here's the current weather forecast for Bloomington over the weekend, and with it expected to be a rainy weekend this could change quickly.

Friday with game time at 6 p.m. ET: 75 degrees with scattered thunderstorms and rain chance at 48 Pct. Wind SSW 7 mph.

Saturday with game time at 1 p.m. ET: 77 degrees with cloudy skies and rain chance at 15 pct. Wind NNE at 5 mph.

Sunday with game time at noon ET: 76 degrees with scattered thunderstorms and rain chance at 56 pct. Wind E at 8 mph.

I had trouble accessing the Indiana Game Notes (PDF) and still couldn't access it as I post this.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I learned my lesson last year about weather related schedule changes. Twitter alert set for @Indianabase

Reactions: ptrich
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT