ADVERTISEMENT

Gameday article for the Maryland series...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
IU enters the series with a RPI of 11 as of today, while Maryland is currently at 62.
IU is 3rd in the B1G in batting with an average of .303, while Maryland is 4th with an average of .301.
IU is 3rd in pitching with a team ERA of 4.64, while Maryland is 12th with a team ERA of 6.14.
IU is 9th in fielding, while Maryland is 4th.

I believe I heard that Maryland has won 19 straight B1G series and it stated in the article that they have not lost a B1G series since April 2021, so it's time for IU to do something about that.

This is a big series for both teams with Maryland needing a sweep to take sole possession of 1st place in the B1G. If the Terps took the series without a sweep, there would be a tie between IU and the Terps, and with three other teams going into the weekend with five losses, who knows what it would look like at the top depending on what they do over the weekend. Needless to say, a sweep by IU or just taking the series without a sweep would put IU in a very good position with a favorable schedule to finish out the regular season.

Neither team has identified who the starters will be but I assume we will see Ey, Sinnard, and Manase in that order again, although it wouldn't be surprising to me if there is another shakeup in the weekend order and also with the starters. That's just me thinking and I saw nothing to suggest that. Ey was great in the Sunday start against Illinois, but not so great in the Friday start against a good hitting Ohio team where he gave up 4 earned runs in 3.1 IP before being pulled.

Maryland has started RHP Jason Savacool with an ERA of 3.75 in 60 IP on the past two Friday starts, and RHP Nick Dean with an ERA of 5.04 in 44.2 IP on the past two Saturday starts. They have had two different starters on the past two Sunday starts.

The weather forecast as of today:

Friday: Early showers past midnight going into the early morning hours and then tapering off to a 10 pct chance at the 6 p.m. (ET) game time. Temp will be around 60 degrees at game time and the wind NW at 9 mph.

Saturday: Around 66 degrees at the 1 p.m. game time and the rain chance at 17 pct. Winds WSW at 11 mph.

Sunday: Around 55 degrees at the noon start time with the rain chance at 41 pct. Wind W at 12 mph.

I thought I would add the Maryland/IU series was among the 10 weekend series that D1Baseball made picks on every week. Of the 11 staffers making the picks, six had IU winning the series with five seeing the Terps as winning it. The only other time that an IU series was among their picks, it was the Iowa series and they favored Iowa to win it 6-5, and we know how that turned out.

Last edited:
IU enters the series with a RPI of 11 as of today, while Maryland is currently at 62.
IU is 3rd in the B1G in batting with an average of .303, while Maryland is 4th with an average of .301.
IU is 3rd in pitching with a team ERA of 4.64, while Maryland is 12th with a team ERA of 6.14.
IU is 9th in fielding, while Maryland is 4th.

I believe I heard that Maryland has won 19 straight B1G series and it stated in the article that they have not lost a B1G series since April 2021, so it's time for IU to do something about that.

This is a big series for both teams with Maryland needing a sweep to take sole possession of 1st place in the B1G. If the Terps took the series without a sweep, there would be a tie between IU and the Terps, and with three other teams going into the weekend with five losses, who knows what it would look like at the top depending on what they do over the weekend. Needless to say, a sweep by IU or just taking the series without a sweep would put IU in a very good position with a favorable schedule to finish out the regular season.

Neither team has identified who the starters will be but I assume we will see Ey, Sinnard, and Manase in that order again, although it wouldn't be surprising to me if there is another shakeup in the weekend order and also with the starters. That's just me thinking and I saw nothing to suggest that. Ey was great in the Sunday start against Illinois, but not so great in the Friday start against a good hitting Ohio team where he gave up 4 earned runs in 3.1 IP before being pulled.

Maryland has started RHP Jason Savacool with an ERA of 3.75 in 60 IP on the past two Friday starts, and RHP Nick Dean with an ERA of 5.04 in 44.2 IP on the past two Saturday starts. They have had two different starters on the past two Sunday starts.

The weather forecast as of today:

Friday: Early showers past midnight going into the early morning hours and then tapering off to a 10 pct chance at the 6 p.m. (ET) game time. Temp will be around 60 degrees at game time and the wind NW at 9 mph.

Saturday: Around 66 degrees at the 1 p.m. game time and the rain chance at 17 pct. Winds WSW at 11 mph.

Sunday: Around 55 degrees at the noon start time with the rain chance at 41 pct. Wind W at 12 mph.

First off pitchers have been announced and if you clicked on the notes previewing the game you would know. It's Dean, McCoy, Savacool in that order for Maryland. IU is doing Manase, Sinnard, and TBA in that order.

Also I am genuinely curious about Mercer's fantasy about the Terps excellent starting pitching. To talk about how great Maryland's pitching has been is the biggest bald face lie in the world:

I am not surprised an idiot like him would say this but there is only three possible things going on here:

1. He is lying to not give Maryland bulletin board material. I would get this but there are ways you can say this without sounding like a fool as he did. He could say something like 'yes the pitching has talent but they have struggled and we really hope they don't find it all against us". To talk about how great two of their pitchers are when they have been hit hard by almost every team they have faced is so disingenuous. I am surprised he can say it with a straight face.

2. He is dumb and genuinely believes this. Even I don't think he is that stupid but you never know.

3. He is making excuses if his team gets shut out. Granted the offense has been much better since Iowa but they managed to let two of those pitchers have career days. This is most likely and he is covering his bases if his team fails. The reality is McCoy who is facing Sinnard Saturday may be projected to be great but EVERY Big Ten has killed him. If he shuts down the Hoosiers it shows how removed from reality our manager is when it comes to teaching approach at the plate. I literally laughed and screamed how delusional Mercer is when praising McCoy. The Sunday guy has been up and down so that could go either way. The Friday guy has been better lately. Mercer conceded their bullpen is not great. I will be laughing my head off if IU loses two of three by scores of like 3-5, 2-4, 5-2 as only a Mercer team could do. You shut down their top offense but become the first team to not hit against them and lose the series. Would be so this team under Mercer.

I am fully prepared for the Hoosiers to lose this series by low scores based on Mercer's stupid comments. When his players hear this they will believe it and struggle. A normal manager would tell his players their pitching struggles but is talented and to be careful. We don't have one of those though so he has told his players how wonderful their pitching is (when it is not) and it is going to get in their heads and they will be the first team all year to be shut down by them just like they were against Iowa. PLEASE FIRE THE IDIOT ALREADY BEFORE HE DOES MORE DAMAGE AND RUINS HIS PLAYERS CONFIDENCE.

First off pitchers have been announced and if you clicked on the notes previewing the game you would know. It's Dean, McCoy, Savacool in that order for Maryland. IU is doing Manase, Sinnard, and TBA in that order.

Also I am genuinely curious about Mercer's fantasy about the Terps excellent starting pitching. To talk about how great Maryland's pitching has been is the biggest bald face lie in the world:

I am not surprised an idiot like him would say this but there is only three possible things going on here:

1. He is lying to not give Maryland bulletin board material. I would get this but there are ways you can say this without sounding like a fool as he did. He could say something like 'yes the pitching has talent but they have struggled and we really hope they don't find it all against us". To talk about how great two of their pitchers are when they have been hit hard by almost every team they have faced is so disingenuous. I am surprised he can say it with a straight face.

2. He is dumb and genuinely believes this. Even I don't think he is that stupid but you never know.

3. He is making excuses if his team gets shut out. Granted the offense has been much better since Iowa but they managed to let two of those pitchers have career days. This is most likely and he is covering his bases if his team fails. The reality is McCoy who is facing Sinnard Saturday may be projected to be great but EVERY Big Ten has killed him. If he shuts down the Hoosiers it shows how removed from reality our manager is when it comes to teaching approach at the plate. I literally laughed and screamed how delusional Mercer is when praising McCoy. The Sunday guy has been up and down so that could go either way. The Friday guy has been better lately. Mercer conceded their bullpen is not great. I will be laughing my head off if IU loses two of three by scores of like 3-5, 2-4, 5-2 as only a Mercer team could do. You shut down their top offense but become the first team to not hit against them and lose the series. Would be so this team under Mercer.

I am fully prepared for the Hoosiers to lose this series by low scores based on Mercer's stupid comments. When his players hear this they will believe it and struggle. A normal manager would tell his players their pitching struggles but is talented and to be careful. We don't have one of those though so he has told his players how wonderful their pitching is (when it is not) and it is going to get in their heads and they will be the first team all year to be shut down by them just like they were against Iowa. PLEASE FIRE THE IDIOT ALREADY BEFORE HE DOES MORE DAMAGE AND RUINS HIS PLAYERS CONFIDENCE.

Why do you continually have to show your ass? I get you don't like Mercer, but now you're crying about posters providing info. The gameday page has been updated since the OP. Maybe it didn't have the game day notes until later. The starting rotation for the series is now included in the page's text. The OP and your post are 14 hours apart, after all.

Big thanks to @ptrich for doing all this for every game.

Why do you continually have to show your ass? I get you don't like Mercer, but now you're crying about posters providing info. The gameday page has been updated since the OP. Maybe it didn't have the game day notes until later. The starting rotation for the series is now included in the page's text. The OP and your post are 14 hours apart, after all.

Big thanks to @ptrich for doing all this for every game.
I've ignored that user so I have no idea what he/she said. I suggest everyone does and the posts will just go to oblivion.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Does anyone know anything about Ellis? I've searched all over and the only thing I've seen is something from early April that said he was day to day and expected back that weekend.....which would have been like 3 weeks ago.

Does anyone know anything about Ellis? I've searched all over and the only thing I've seen is something from early April that said he was day to day and expected back that weekend.....which would have been like 3 weeks ago.
I heard a comment that he has a wrist injury and that was the only information that I have heard.

Just to make it clear on here, and I think everyone knows it, but I'm just a poster like everyone else that likes to follow the games and the program. Anything that I post on here is just my personal views, and any information I throw out there is certainly not infallible although I try to be accurate on it. I just want to help keep the interest up for the program on this forum.

Just to make it clear on here, and I think everyone knows it, but I'm just a poster like everyone else that likes to follow the games and the program. Anything that I post on here is just my personal views, and any information I throw out there is certainly not infallible although I try to be accurate on it. I just want to help keep the interest up for the program on this forum.
You are appreciated. Your work on this site is awesome. It's high value for me. Don't let negative energy invade. I posted this before to you: I can't help but think Steve would be so happy to see IU baseball good and this board in good shape too. Go Hoosiers!

If you took two minutes to watch the video I posted it would tell you he is out for a long time as Mercer said in it.

You are appreciated. Your work on this site is awesome. It's high value for me. Don't let negative energy invade. I posted this before to you: I can't help but think Steve would be so happy to see IU baseball good and this board in good shape too. Go Hoosiers!
I agree, and he is very knowledgeable and I get a lot of info from his posts. He might just be 'another' poster, but he obviously follows IU baseball much closer than most and has more info than most.

I heard a comment that he has a wrist injury and that was the only information that I have heard.
Well, I hope he is back in the lineup sooner than later. We need him, especially since Jesse's bat has all but disappeared.

Well, I hope he is back in the lineup sooner than later. We need him, especially since Jesse's bat has all but disappeared.
I heard / saw there’s no time soon for Ellis. Not sure if was iubase on twitter or what. Didn’t sound promising. Not sure what the injury is maybe wrist?

I heard / saw there’s no time soon for Ellis. Not sure if was iubase on twitter or what. Didn’t sound promising. Not sure what the injury is maybe wrist?
Yeah, I saw that too. Yesterday in a presser Mercer said "won't be back anytime soon" and "I don't see him back in the foreseeable future".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT