ADVERTISEMENT

Game 4: IU 8 San Diego 4 final as IU takes the series from a pretty good team..

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
Beauchamp is on the mound for IU. Not hits so far, but Beauchamp gave up a harmless two-out walk in the 1st.

Beauchamp is on the mound for IU. Not hits so far, but Beauchamp gave up a harmless two-out walk in the 1st.
I just turned it on in the top of the 2nd.....i guess Sowers got thrown out at 2B trying to advance on a ball in the dirt? I didn't see but we are not doing well on the base baths this series. Almost cost us last night in the 9th, getting thrown out trying to go 1st to 3rd on a hit to left.

And why are BOTH the SS and 2B playing right up the middle? I saw that last night and thought it wasn't very good defense. And the slow roller between 1st and 2nd should have been easily fielded. It's like they are more concerned with a throw down to 2nd (and 2B backing up the SS on it) than playing D for the batter.

For the third straight game, IU will be playing from behind. After a strikeout to start the 2nd, Beauchamp gave up three straight singles to load the bases, with USD eventually getting one run on a FC. IU threatened in the 2nd also with three hits, but ended up stranding two runners.

Houston and Kaletha got infield singles and Matt Lloyd chased them home with a three run dinger to right. IU up 3-1 with no outs in the third.

Houston and Kaletha got infield singles and Matt Lloyd chased them home with a three run dinger to right. IU up 3-1 with no outs in the third.
Maybe I should mention IU playing from behind more often. That sure was short-lived. They have six hits in the game early-on, so that's a really positive start.

IU had a scoring threat in the 4th, but a DP and a strikeout snuffed that threat out.

Miller got a leadoff double to start the 5th which chased USD's starter.

IU has a big inning in the making in the 5th. They are currently up 5-1 and USD is going to the bullpen for a second time. There's a man on 1st and 3rd with one out.

IU has a big inning in the making in the 5th. They are currently up 5-1 and USD is going to the bullpen for a second time. There's a man on 1st and 3rd with one out.
A double steal with Fineman stealing home and Gorski stealing 2nd. IU up 6-1.

Nick Eaton has replaced Beauchamp in the 5th. Nice outing for Beauchamp.

USD got a couple of singles off Eaton, but ran themselves out of the inning when their player tried to extend a single into a double and was thrown out at 2nd.

Krueger is replacing Eaton in the 6th as USD has scored an unearned run and has a runner on 1st and 3rd with one out. USD started the inning with two singles, but a Houston error, IU's third of the game, allowed both runners to advance to 2nd and 3rd. A SF scored the unearned run, and then a balk put the runner at 2nd on 3rd. Eaton then hit a batter ending his stay on the mound..

Krueger is replacing Eaton in the 6th as USD has scored an unearned run and has a runner on 1st and 3rd with one out. USD started the inning with two singles, but a Houston error, IU's third of the game, allowed both runners to advance to 2nd and 3rd. A SF scored the unearned run, and then a balk put the runner at 2nd on 3rd. Eaton then hit a batter ending his stay on the mound..
Krueger limited the damage to the one unearned run and it's on to the 7th with IU up 6-2.

USD returned the favor with a sloppy inning of their own allowing IU to score a couple of runs, one of which was unearned. An error, a WP, then a FC put Sowers on 3rd and he was brought in on a balk. Then back-to-back doubles by Gorksi and Dunham scored another run.

Last edited:
USD returned the favor with a sloppy inning of their own allowing IU to score a couple of runs, one of which was unearned. An error, a WP, then a FC put Sowers on 3rd and he was brought in on a balk. Then back-to-back doubles by Gorksi and Duncham scored another run.

I'm loving this. A chance to win three from a ranked west coast team.

I'm loving this. A chance to win three from a ranked west coast team.

I don't think USD is is ranked. I didn't see them in D1's, Baseball America's or the NCAA's rankings. I might have missed them, though. I do know by reading comments on those polls people seem to think well of them.

I don't think USD is is ranked. I didn't see them in D1's, Baseball America's or the NCAA's rankings. I might have missed them, though. I do know by reading comments on those polls people seem to think well of them.
They are ranked 13th in one poll, but I can't remember which one.

Reactions: Seyton
I've lost my connection to this game. USD had a threat going in the 7th with two outs, but that's the last I know.

Sloppiest inning of the year in the 8th. Gifted 2 runs but could have been worse. 8-4 heading to top of 9.

Lloyd in bullpen warming up to come in for the save.
technically, we are up 4 so it won't be a save. But as long as he closes it out, I'll be happy. Taking 3 of 4 from the 13th ranked team would be huge!

It's probably an understatement, but taking three of four on the road against a good team is really big. If we take care of business this season, this series will look huge at the end of the regular season. Here's hoping USD has a really big season from this point on, which will certainly help our cause.

We had five errors in this game, so we are fortunate things went our way in other areas. Usually, when you're that sloppy, you are looking at a big "L."

It was fun being able to watch the games on the West Coast Conference stream. Like last year the team needs to tighten up the defense and base running.

Overall a really good start to the season and hope they keep it going during the home stand.

Go Hoosiers!

It was fun being able to watch the games on the West Coast Conference stream. Like last year the team needs to tighten up the defense and base running.

Overall a really good start to the season and hope they keep it going during the home stand.

Go Hoosiers![/QUOTE/
We have our first home game of the season this Weds against Cincinnati, which is the first of ten straight home games. So, we have the opportunity to continue our momentum before we open the conference season at Iowa. Here's hoping for good weather.

Reactions: RBB89
We had five errors in this game, so we are fortunate things went our way in other areas. Usually, when you're that sloppy, you are looking at a big "L."
A coaches dream game. Win and have plenty to go over later

Reactions: ptrich
it was definitely sloppy, especially that 8th inning. Herrin kept inducing ground balls but nobody could field one cleanly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT