ADVERTISEMENT

Galloway Articles

hookyIU1990

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 26, 2007
Some articles that have popped up in the last day or so.

Trey is a legit team player. He is frustrating sometimes, but that's usually because he is playing outside of his ideal role to cover for an injury, etc.

Something that stood out IMO, is he seemed to be the lead player to help recruit our '24 class, including Rice and Carlyle. He was on their visits selling IU and commenting on related social media posts. They will take PT from him, but he appears more interested in assembling the best team we can to win. And yea he is our fifth year senior and that's what seniors should do, but it still stood out.

Hopefully he gets healthy and has a good year.

Last edited:
Trey is a legit team player. He is frustrating sometimes, but that's usually because he is playing outside of his ideal role to cover for an injury, etc.

Something that stood out IMO, is he seemed to be the lead player to help recruit our '24 class, including Rice and Carlyle. He was on their visits selling IU and commenting on related social media posts. They will take PT from him, but he appears more interested in assembling the best team we can to win. And yea he is our fifth year senior and that's what seniors should do, but it still stood out.

At this point I would think he wants to win more than anything. He has heard the full wrath of AH, and I bet his dad told him the team was shit too. Family knows basketball, they know IU has underachieved since he got here.

I think he would gladly come off the bench for 15-20 min(where he belongs on any contender) for a shot at a final four.

I think some of you have already forgotten getting destroyed by Max Klesmit.
Every year, same story. Some of our fans forget the realities of what makes players "good", and start predicting all the newbies are gonna take us to the final four.

• Wow
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Every year, same story. Some of our fans forget the realities of what makes players "good", and start predicting all the newbies are gonna take us to the final four.
You are right ..he sucks...smh...tool

Huh? Klesmit destroyed our newbies?

No1 is saying that. What I am saying is there is no chance we go to a final four with Galloway being the lead guard like last year. We will struggle to make the tourney if that’s the case.

Same is true with Goode. He is a great piece off the bench for any good team. If he is starting and the featured wing, that team is gonna be on the bubble.

Hoping he has a much lesser role this year

I can easily see a team with Trey as a starter making a serious FF run. Just needs to have really tough, talented players and great coaching surrounding him.
I agree 100%, there's nothing wrong with Trey starting at IU. He would have played over 20 min per game last year for U-Conn if he had been on their team.

• Wow
Reactions: birdforbogey
I agree 100%, there's nothing wrong with Trey starting at IU. He would have played over 20 min per game last year for U-Conn if he had been on their team.
There is not a chance in hell he would have played close to 20 mins a game for Uconn last year with his stats. Who would he have played over ?

There's starting for a final four team...and there's playing over 20 minutes for one of the better college teams in NCAA basketball history...two different things.

He could have started for 3 of the Final Four teams...maybe. But not UConn. Newton, Spencer, Castle, Diallo, Karaban...he's not playing over any of those fellas...and I'm sure I'm missing someone.

There's starting for a final four team...and there's playing over 20 minutes for one of the better college teams in NCAA basketball history...two different things.

He could have started for 3 of the Final Four teams...maybe. But not UConn. Newton, Spencer, Castle, Diallo, Karaban...he's not playing over any of those fellas...and I'm sure I'm missing someone.
Didn't watch Uconn much last year until the tourney but they also seemed to have some good backcourt guys off the bench. I don't doubt him getting minutes but certainly don't think he'd have been a starter and not sure he could've beaten out there first bench options. Don't think he'd have gotten more than about 10 minutes a game for Uconn.

I may be wrong on how many minutes he would have gotten last year with UConn. I do stand firm on that Trey is a type of player that Coach's love. I'm happy that he plays for my Favorite Team the Mighty Hoosiers.
I think Trey is under rated by our own fans. His assist rate toward the end of last year will be hard for anyone else to duplicate.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
No1 is saying that. What I am saying is there is no chance we go to a final four with Galloway being the lead guard like last year. We will struggle to make the tourney if that’s the case.

Same is true with Goode. He is a great piece off the bench for any good team. If he is starting and the featured wing, that team is gonna be on the bubble.
Coming from the guy who said x and bates where studs!

X injury hurt us badly.
Bates was not "way better" than Trey.
Trey had better be back to 100% for this season for IU to be highly successful.

Oh ya?

Trey: 26% from three, 58% from two (105-181), 53% from the line, 102 Ortg. To rate 18.6

Bates: 39% from three, 54% from two (119-220), 93% from the line, 113 Ortg. TO rate 15.4

I don’t know a soul that would think Trey was not way worse than bates.

Bates shot 40% better than Trey at the line. Let that sink in. They are both shooting guards. Well, insult to the position calling Trey a shooting guard.

You can't really compare TB's stats from a god awful mizzou squad to TG playing the point here.
How about FT shooting? Can we compare that? 🙃

All I know is gallo had a worse shooting season than Romeo. I never thought I’d see that again.

And to be fair we were awful, just not god awful. Well actually I think we were god awful and mizzu was just the worst lol.

How about FT shooting? Can we compare that? 🙃

All I know is gallo had a worse shooting season than Romeo. I never thought I’d see that again.

And to be fair we were awful, just not god awful. Well actually I think we were god awful and mizzu was just the worst lol.
FT shooting...how can we have had so many dudes over the past seasons who are so horrible at the line? Mind boggling.

By the way, the Tigers sucked green donkey crank last season. That's how bad they were. Oh-fer in the SEC.

FT shooting...how can we have had so many dudes over the past seasons who are so horrible at the line? Mind boggling.

By the way, the Tigers sucked green donkey crank last season. That's how bad they were. Oh-fer in the SEC.
No idea. You know how people say in jest I could do better than that. Well, I would bet everything I have that I would shoot over 60% at the line with 17k in attendance. I was doing that in 6th grade…

His dad’s a coach!!!
That is a big mystery.
And to shoot significantly better two seasons ago only to back slide so significantly last season.
Tamar only shot 30% from 3 in conference. Tough to compare the two given team dynamics. So I disagree on "way better".
And if Trey is 100% and plays modest minutes, those minutes will be valuable to the team. And an indication we are playing well from the others.

His dad’s a coach!!!
It's why I've never bought Trey as a knock-down shooter. I don't think any great 3pt shooter shoots less than 75% on FTs.

If he's got his confidence back, I still want him to take good open shots he's confident in. I think this could actually be a decent 3 pt shooting team if they work on moving the ball, finding the open man and taking good shots.

It's why I've never bought Trey as a knock-down shooter. I don't think any great 3pt shooter shoots less than 75% on FTs.

If he's got his confidence back, I still want him to take good open shots he's confident in. I think this could actually be a decent 3 pt shooting team if they work on moving the ball, finding the open man and taking good shots.
Just pray Rice stays healthy. He is gonna make everyone look good. He can really play. Love his highlights.

Reactions: kkott and stollcpa
Oh ya?

Trey: 26% from three, 58% from two (105-181), 53% from the line, 102 Ortg. To rate 18.6

Bates: 39% from three, 54% from two (119-220), 93% from the line, 113 Ortg. TO rate 15.4

I don’t know a soul that would think Trey was not way worse than bates.

Bates shot 40% better than Trey at the line. Let that sink in. They are both shooting guards. Well, insult to the position calling Trey a shooting guard.
Just look at PER ... no need to do individual stats on this one.

Tamar is almost two tiers above Trey. 18.4/19.2 conference vs 13.3/14.6 conference. 19 is effective starter numbers. 14 is a bench role player. This is a no contest.

Different roles/positions, different team make up, different schedule, etc...

Not saying Gallo killed it, but his role was totally different than Bates. Neither one set the world on fire in conference play.
When you mention different schedule it’s also a different conference, with a different style of play (officiating, etc.).

I understand the desire to see players as more robotic, it’s all about “talent”, “ability” and easily measure with stats. But, players don’t exist in a vacuum.

Just because player x starts for (say) u-conn and puts up fantastic numbers doesn’t mean that he wouldn’t be a role player that looks lost on another team.

While it might be interesting to compare Bates last year to Trey last year, one can’t discount how they compared/contrasted while at IU.

Reactions: bbafficionado
When you mention different schedule it’s also a different conference, with a different style of play (officiating, etc.).

I understand the desire to see players as more robotic, it’s all about “talent”, “ability” and easily measure with stats. But, players don’t exist in a vacuum.

Just because player x starts for (say) u-conn and puts up fantastic numbers doesn’t mean that he wouldn’t be a role player that looks lost on another team.

While it might be interesting to compare Bates last year to Trey last year, one can’t discount how they compared/contrasted while at IU.
but really, what's the point? The only reason anyone brought up Bates was to bust Cav's chops anyway. I think Bates needed a fresh start and seems like he found a team that was willing to give him a higher volume of minutes and shots. He may not be living up to 5 * status (which was not Cav's doing!), but he seemed to realize more of his potential last year and I don't think we missed him a ton and he may not have been that player without the fresh start. Good for him.

Right. PER is a function of the role a player plays. Leaky Black was a starter on a final 4 team with a PER similar to Galloway.

Of course, Leaky wasn't a shooter the way Galloway tried to be last year.

Point being, if you have RJ Davis, Caleb Love, a killer stretch 4, and Armando Bacot alongside him, you can certainly make the final 4 with Galloway starting.

We were deficient at 3 of those other 4 spots. Ware and Bacot were similar. Ware might have been a touch better. But the rest of the team was NOT.

X was hurt, Bates was way better than Gallo last year.
Trey has been hurt every year if were playing that game. My concern is when a player is playing for IU. I could care less what he did for anyone else. Stats for bates last year playing with IU 39.2% shooting, 37.7% from 3, 92.5% ff. Trey same year. 47.4, 46.2, 64 Playing on same team, against the same competition, who was way better? Lets throw x in there also. 40.6, 38.3, 78,2 Who was way better? I agree Gallo was down some last year. How many games did he cost us? How many games would we have lost if he didnt play? Cant answer. We get all keyed up on these unproven guys coming in and how great they will be and forget all the great guys that came in and were a bust. Two of them being x and bates. I will take Gallo over any of this next group of incoming "super stars" until they prove me wrong. But, I hope they ALL have great years which means we will all have great times watching them tear it up. GO IU

Reactions: Willray
Right. PER is a function of the role a player plays. Leaky Black was a starter on a final 4 team with a PER similar to Galloway.

Of course, Leaky wasn't a shooter the way Galloway tried to be last year.

Point being, if you have RJ Davis, Caleb Love, a killer stretch 4, and Armando Bacot alongside him, you can certainly make the final 4 with Galloway starting.

We were deficient at 3 of those other 4 spots. Ware and Bacot were similar. Ware might have been a touch better. But the rest of the team was NOT.
Bates is a better overall basketball player than Galloway. PER isn't necessary to see that, but as good stats often do, it gives some data to back up what everyone should be seeing.

Galloway, when playing the correct role, can be a very good and solid D1 level wing. But he's had 3 teams, I'd say 3 different roles, has had varying levels of injury v healthiness... its all baked in at this point. He's decent, but he's not a big difference maker. If he's surrounded by better players, like he appears to be this year, he'll fill some gaps and play a decent role, hopefully for a very successful team.

Bates has the potential, and is closer to realizing that potential...to be a high major all conference level guard. I think I optimistically said that about Trey a few times after his freshman year?... I now don't think Trey has that ceiling.

Reactions: Cavanagh
Bates is a better overall basketball player than Galloway. PER isn't necessary to see that, but as good stats often do, it gives some data to back up what everyone should be seeing.

Galloway, when playing the correct role, can be a very good and solid D1 level wing. But he's had 3 teams, I'd say 3 different roles, has had varying levels of injury v healthiness... its all baked in at this point. He's decent, but he's not a big difference maker. If he's surrounded by better players, like he appears to be this year, he'll fill some gaps and play a decent role, hopefully for a very successful team.

Bates has the potential, and is closer to realizing that potential...to be a high major all conference level guard. I think I optimistically said that about Trey a few times after his freshman year?... I now don't think Trey has that ceiling.
When Bates and Galloway were on the same team, their coach didn't seem to think so. I don't think Bates' results at Missou can be compared to Galloway at IU. Different roles, different offenses.

Reactions: hookyIU1990

Bates definitely has a higher ceiling. I'd argue that Gallo had a higher floor when they played together. I didn't watch enough of Bates last year to know whether he raised his floor.

When Bates was here, he didn't get playing time because you couldn't count on him to play within himself all the time. Lots of examples where he'd make silly mistakes on both ends of the floor. He got better from one year to the next, but not enough that the staff felt they could trust him on an every-game basis.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT