ADVERTISEMENT

FWIW: Palm now has us going to Fiesta Bowl/Guaranteed Rate Bowl

The Guaranteed Rate Bowl used to be known as the Copper Bowl and the Insight Bowl (and possibly the Cactus Bowl). IU played in both, and shut out Baylor in the early '90s in the Copper Bowl, 24-0. RIP Coach Mal.

City and stadium have changed several times over the years. I was at the Insight in 2007 which was played at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe. I believe the Guaranteed Rate Bowl is played where the D'backs play (yeah, a baseball stadium) in Phoenix.

The Fiesta Bowl, a different bowl entirely, will be part of this year's expanded playoffs.

The Guaranteed Rate Bowl used to be known as the Copper Bowl and the Insight Bowl (and possibly the Cactus Bowl). IU played in both, and shut out Baylor in the early '90s in the Copper Bowl, 24-0. RIP Coach Mal.

City and stadium have changed several times over the years. I was at the Insight in 2007 which was played at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe. I believe the Guaranteed Rate Bowl is played where the D'backs play (yeah, a baseball stadium) in Phoenix.

The Fiesta Bowl, a different bowl entirely, will be part of this year's expanded playoffs.
Yes, just did a quick glance. Both bowls are in Phoenix. Good for them.

While all of these are nice, nobody knows anything at this point. Win or lose in Pasadena, I’m not sure we still know a whole lot. I’d feel better playing UCLA in B-town and Charlotte on the road. UCLA still gets recruits. They aren’t Western Illinois.
Yeah. Let's don't get the cart in front of the horse just yet. UCLA gets a lot of those good southern California athletes and there's a bunch of them. I doubt we see as much talent until we get Oregon and OSU.

If we win this game then we can start talking some real shit.

Personally, I'm waiting until we run the table all the way thru the Nebraska game before I'm gonna start going overboard with effusive praise and Bowl projections...

Now I think we may be capable of doing that (running the table thru NE) but having only seen one and a half quarters of decent football against a team that would finish in the lower third of the MAC (FIU) doesn't seem enough to base any major projections on from my point of view...

Win in Pasadena..., and then start stacking good W's atop that Win and then I'll start looking at Bowl game projections...

The win against Western Illinois carries all the weight of a win against Butler... It was just a scrimmage that we were able to (for the most part) maintain our focus and look good in... In other words, they did what they were supposed to do... Basically..., we were treated to a live practice scrimmage...

While I love the enthusiasm generated by the point production, I sure wouldn't base any future predictions on it at this point in time... Let's wait until we do the same thing to a few Real Football Teams before we get too far ahead of ourselves...

//Edited to reflect that Nebraska is not an Away game...//

Last edited:
Personally, I'm waiting until we run the table all the way thru the away game at Nebraska before I'm gonna start going overboard with effusive praise and Bowl projections...

Now I think we may be capable of doing that (running the table thru NE) but having only seen one and a half quarters of decent football against a team that would finish in the lower third of the MAC (FIU) doesn't seem enough to base any major projections on from my point of view...

Win in Pasadena..., and then start stacking good W's atop that Win and then I'll start looking at Bowl game projections...

The win against Western Illinois carries all the weight of a win against Butler... It was just a scrimmage that we were able to (for the most part) maintain our focus and look good in... In other words, they did what they were supposed to do... Basically..., we were treated to a live practice scrimmage...

While I love the enthusiasm generated by the point production, I sure wouldn't base any future predictions on it at this point in time... Let's wait until we do the same thing to a few Real Football Teams before we get too far ahead of ourselves...
Nebraska is homecoming broseph

Personally, I'm waiting until we run the table all the way thru the away game at Nebraska before I'm gonna start going overboard with effusive praise and Bowl projections...

Did you notice that FIU beat Central Michigan 52-16? Perhaps they are a little better than we give them credit for? That may turn out to be a very nice win by the end of the season.

Nebraska is homecoming broseph

You're right... (Nebraska is at our place and is Homecoming),,,

For some reason this years schedule has baffled me (hopefully it's related to just a lack of quality sleep and not something more), I had in my head that we were playing p$u for a few months there too.... 😖

Homecoming gives us a much better shot at them (theoretically)... It will be interesting to see if our fans show up in enough force (and stick for 4 quarters) to actually give us a "Homefield Advantage"...

Reactions: TMFT and red hornet
Did you notice that FIU beat Central Michigan 52-16? Perhaps they are a little better than we give them credit for? That may turn out to be a very nice win by the end of the season.

I'm hoping that's the case (but I'm not all that impressed with CMU either)... It wouldn't surprise me if they slid into a lesser Bowl game with 6 W's at the end of the season given their schedule... That would reflect well on us so I'm rooting for them...

Their secondary appeared better than expected so it wouldn't surprise me if they ended up being a 6-6 Bowl team... I'm still waiting for us to actually play a few good teams (and Win) before I'm impressed by our results...

Reactions: red hornet
You're right... (Nebraska is at our place and is Homecoming),,,

For some reason this years schedule has baffled me (hopefully it's related to just a lack of quality sleep and not something more), I had in my head that we were playing p$u for a few months there too.... 😖

Homecoming gives us a much better shot at them (theoretically)... It will be interesting to see if our fans show up in enough force (and stick for 4 quarters) to actually give us a "Homefield Advantage"...
The scheduling issue could be with the original release before Washington & Oregon came on board and they had to scrap it and do it again. Took me a minute to find it, but it looks like our original B1G slate had Maryland, Minnesota, PSU, Purdue, & UCLA at home with trips to Michigan State, Nebraska, Northwestern, & Wisconsin.

I'm not sure what to think about Nebraska this year, particularly the Raiola kid. I was initially bullish because, at some point, you expect freshmen to play like freshmen. But he looked okay vs. Colorado. And I was impressed with the little bit of Nebraska I saw last year with how physical they played. Rhule was a good hire for them, they lost 4 games last year by 3 points each and one in OT. Nebraska fans aren't stupid. They know they're a frog's hair from those 5 win seasons being 8/9/10 wins and they are expecting it to come back.

Reactions: 76-1
Thank you for posting but I am not at all interested in Bowl Projections at this point. Hopefully the players don't pay much attention either, they need to focus on the process...the process...the process...
Nobody takes these projections seriously in September, but it’s a diversion and something kind of fun/funny to discuss following a blowout win over a bad team.

College football might be an only a few seasons away from being as irrelevant as minor league baseball.

Personally, I'm waiting until we run the table all the way thru the Nebraska game before I'm gonna start going overboard with effusive praise and Bowl projections...

//Edited to reflect that Nebraska is not an Away game...//
NIU beat W ILL and then turn around and beat ND. FIU lost to IU but beat CMU handily, so they weren't so bad. Beat UCLA with the effort they did with Western Illinois and this team will have more fans soon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT