ADVERTISEMENT

From the Horses Mouth // Good Read //

An article where Watson, and later, Debord discuss the QB position:

http://indiana.247sports.com/Articl...hawn-Watson-details-philosophy-talks-50432810
This is such a timely and informative article. Thanks so much for posting this, 10yrProject. We could not be set up better, philosophically as a staff, to succeed offensively this fall. Watson knows so much already about his quarterback candidates, and he and DeBord have a track record of adapting their planning according to the skills of the guys available. For sure, our QBs better be serious in their preparations if they expect to play. This will be a fun off-season to follow.

Reactions: 10yrProject
I read this article as IU does not have a quarterback on the roster that fits into the type of offense that the coaching staff would like to develop over the long run.

Well, I'm fairly sure they'd prefer to have someone on the roster at QB that is 6'7", runs a 4.35 forty and connects on 80% of his throws but who doesn't.

I read it as: we will work with who we have and make them all better. I also read it as a message to those on hand as to what the expectations are. Aside from those two generalities, I'm sure they have, or will, let all the QBs know exactly what they need to work on and how to go about doing so.

Now if one of them could get the fact thru to Hunter Johnson that he has at least one guy already ahead of him on the roster at Clemson and another coming right behind (class of 18, he's "already" been recruited over) and that it's a no brainer to stay in state and have a real shot at starting 3 or more years vs sitting on the bench at Clemson for 4 years then I would be even more impressed than I already am with our new staff additions...

Well, I'm fairly sure they'd prefer to have someone on the roster at QB that is 6'7", runs a 4.35 forty and connects on 80% of his throws but who doesn't.

I read it as: we will work with who we have and make them all better. I also read it as a message to those on hand as to what the expectations are. Aside from those two generalities, I'm sure they have, or will, let all the QBs know exactly what they need to work on and how to go about doing so.

Now if one of them could get the fact thru to Hunter Johnson that he has at least one guy already ahead of him on the roster at Clemson and another coming right behind (class of 18, he's "already" been recruited over) and that it's a no brainer to stay in state and have a real shot at starting 3 or more years vs sitting on the bench at Clemson for 4 years then I would be even more impressed than I already am with our new staff additions...
I think Johnson has already enrolled at Clemson

I don't expect the coaches to say anything else but I stopped getting excited about backup quarterback hype about 5 years ago. The reality is that Richard Lagow was the starter the moment he committed to IU. Teammates say the Danny Cameron is working hard and looking good getting ready for his senior year - glad to hear it. I think they all know they have to be bigger, faster and stronger athletes.

Well 24/7 needs to up their game and..., ;)our new coaches are off the hook for letting him slip away. They never had a shot at him.

For the record, I think the young guy made a mistake. They just recruited over him in the 2018 class.

Well 24/7 needs to up their game and..., ;)our new coaches are off the hook for letting him slip away. They never had a shot at him.

For the record, I think the young guy made a mistake. They just recruited over him in the 2018 class.
Didn't he originally commit to DeBord and Butch Jones at UT, only to renege in favor of Clemson?

Good catch. Another 5-star 6.1 quarterback. Hopefully he will do better than the unnamed guy that ended up riding the bench in Cincinnati.

Don't have any idea (about TN)... Lost track of him after he lost interest in us. Only started checking on QB offers again a couple of weeks ago when became clear that we were once again planning to pick up a QB did I check on him.

Good catch. Another 5-star 6.1 quarterback. Hopefully he will do better than the unnamed guy that ended up riding the bench in Cincinnati.
Yeah, if Johnson were to be rated as an All-World, then the 2018 guy would be considered an All Galaxy or better...

Don't have any idea (about TN)... Lost track of him after he lost interest in us. Only started checking on QB offers again a couple of weeks ago when became clear that we were once again planning to pick up a QB did I check on him.
He never was interested in IU.

Seek help Bobs
He committed to Tennessee in August of 2015 and then withdrew that and pledged to Clemson in December of 2015. So, he committed prior to the start of his junior year of high school and then reneged in favor of Clemson, where he's enrolling for the Spring semester. He's been committed there for over a year. He was never interested in IU. Wrongly assumed you knew the facts of his recruitment.

Last edited:
Never meant to imply that I had,or ever have had, any inside knowledge of anyone's recruitment by IU.

I rely solely on what I read on multiple sites when it comes to recruiting, and I sure thought I recalled reading that we were recruiting both Johnson and the guy now at MI (Peters?) and that they had both been to IU on "unofficial" visits (hence my extrapolating that both were expressing some, however slight degree of interest).

All that said, I have trouble recalling what I read 2 days ago much less 2 years ago so I would readily suggest that there is plenty of room for error in my recollections.

Never meant to imply that I had,or ever have had, any inside knowledge of anyone's recruitment by IU.

I rely solely on what I read on multiple sites when it comes to recruiting, and I sure thought I recalled reading that we were recruiting both Johnson and the guy now at MI (Peters?) and that they had both been to IU on "unofficial" visits (hence my extrapolating that both were expressing some, however slight degree of interest).

All that said, I have trouble recalling what I read 2 days ago much less 2 years ago so I would readily suggest that there is plenty of room for error in my recollections.
No problem, and I'm sure both of those guys made unofficial visits to IU. Of the two, Peters was more realistic, but I don't think IU was a serious contender for him, and they never were for Johnson. Lots of fish in the sea,

I know Hunter's dad and family pretty well. He comes from an excellent family. His dad is a dentist in Plainfield, IN and he graduated from the IU School of Dentistry. I was hoping that the kid would reconsider and give IU a shot but it is hard to turn down the offer he has now. Hunter's dad was a pretty darn good QB in HS for Bedford North Lawrence back in the day. It was too bad that he had to face Blair Kiel and Columbus East in the post season his Senior year or BNL would have made some noise that year.

I'm sure the roof is going to come down on my head for this post, but when I look at the photo of Lagow with the linked article, his helmet seems mighty low -- I can't even see his eyebrows in the picture. I wonder if that could have something to do with his accuracy?
They don't come any more accurate than Tom Brady and here is a photo of him throwing a pass -- and I can see his eyebrows:
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2016/1204/r159503_576x324_16-9.jpg

I read this article as IU does not have a quarterback on the roster that fits into the type of offense that the coaching staff would like to develop over the long run.
I wouldn't say that. I think the future QB is Ramsey and I think you'll see IU recruiting and trying to sign kids just like him from now on under CTA. But I don't see Ramsey beating out Lagow next season. I think he will play, but unless RL goes down, I think Ramsey will see time in a hybrid sets but not full time.

Tonti seems like a Ramsey clone just shorter. I hope in 2018 we land another dual threat type with an arm. That should be the yearly goal from now on.

I wouldn't say that. I think the future QB is Ramsey and I think you'll see IU recruiting and trying to sign kids just like him from now on under CTA. But I don't see Ramsey beating out Lagow next season. I think he will play, but unless RL goes down, I think Ramsey will see time in a hybrid sets but not full time.

Tonti seems like a Ramsey clone just shorter. I hope in 2018 we land another dual threat type with an arm. That should be the yearly goal from now on.
If we truly go in that direction with recruiting QBs, I'd be thrilled. Watson sure appreciates what Ramsey has shown thus far. He at least will be nipping at Lagow's heels going forward. But RL has the huge experience advantage. Competition will be intense.

I'm sure the roof is going to come down on my head for this post, but when I look at the photo of Lagow with the linked article, his helmet seems mighty low -- I can't even see his eyebrows in the picture. I wonder if that could have something to do with his accuracy?
They don't come any more accurate than Tom Brady and here is a photo of him throwing a pass -- and I can see his eyebrows:
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2016/1204/r159503_576x324_16-9.jpg

RL has some natural talent that cannot be taught.
If CWatson can help him make better decisions as well as improve his mechanics he "could" be as good as Nate is.

I have to remind myself that in all fairness RL has the experience of a red shirt freshman and will hopefully make some big strides next year.

Going forward I doubt we see QBs like RL in the future as that does not seem to be the CTA plan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT