ADVERTISEMENT

Freshman?

mazz

Senior
Gold Member
Oct 2, 2001
Any word on how the freshman are looking? In particular, I wondering how Dunham was doing? Thx!

The bat will play, today was his best day so far. Very raw defensively, and a work in progress on that end. I think he plays first base better than OF, but his bat will certainly crack the lineup this year. Still a lot of development to happen there.

Cam Beauchamp was stellar today. Sat 88-90, but he was really spinning it. Ball looked real heavy, and hitters had trouble squaring him up.

Reactions: jmbennett and mazz
Typically sinkers are heavy because of the spin yes. It is weird how some guys seem to throw a heavy ball. Thanks for the feedback, he's a friends son. He's a really good kid and seems to have a pretty good work ethic.

Reactions: mobilehoosier
Lew: how do you make a ball look heavy? Is that a sinker, lots of spin? Thanks in advance for the lesson.
Spin rates are very interesting things to look at with pitchers and they do track such things these days. The fast the spin the more it's going to sink and drop and that's what you like as a pitcher because it's harder for the batters to square the ball up with the bat.

Reactions: jmbennett
The spin rate for sure is a good indicator, something most teams measure in this day in age of baseball. When I say it looks heavy, it’s in correlation to the spin/movement/ride in the zone of the ball to contact. Guys can make solid contact and the ball just doesn’t jump because of the spin rate and movement. As a hitter it can feel heavy off the bat even with solid contact. Some guys can spin it and it looks like it rises or accelerates the last few feet, and things like that can make it tough on hitters.

There is a great documentary on Netflix called Fastball that I recommend every baseball fan watch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT