ADVERTISEMENT

For The Record

I gather that academics aren't important to you, nor health care.

Nor government, nor economics, nor leadership, nor the arts, nor the environment, nor education. Nor civic planning, nor politics. This isn't some knock on other universities. This state is flush with tremendous universities. IU simply has the combination of strengths and competencies that drive the state and that was by design.

Reactions: 76-1
Not to mention that admissions is tilted to out of state students to get more money out of tuition.
That's true of Purdue as well. A direct product of the majority (ruling ?) party in this state's shortsighted viewpoint that higher education is an expense rather than an investment that generates enormous potential returns. Without a change in those policies, I fear that the state may someday become acutely aware of the indifference of those Indiana kids who either couldn't get admitted to, or couldn't afford IU and Purdue. Something tells me that those who spend four years here and then return to the east coast or China or the Middle East are not going to share the same passion for the long-term sustainability of our two great Big Ten institutions as those of us who were born and raised here and remained here to work and raise our own children.

Oh the irony of a guy like Mitch Daniels serving as a university president.

When the state doesn’t fund the universities adequately, they have to get their money elsewhere. And they get it from out-of-state tuition.

That's true of Purdue as well. A direct product of the majority (ruling ?) party in this state's shortsighted viewpoint that higher education is an expense rather than an investment that generates enormous potential returns. Without a change in those policies, I fear that the state may someday become acutely aware of the indifference of those Indiana kids who either couldn't get admitted to, or couldn't afford IU and Purdue. Something tells me that those who spend four years here and then return to the east coast or China or the Middle East are not going to share the same passion for the long-term sustainability of our two great Big Ten institutions as those of us who were born and raised here and remained here to work and raise our own children.

My son had been admitted to Purdue, Bellarmine, Loyal of Chicago, and was waiting on a acceptance letter from Indiana. I told him this was not a football game and Purdue was a great opportunity. I called the admissions office and asked to talk with the director. I went to her High School. She wasn't there but how can I help you. Well my son is waiting on a acceptance letter. What is his name. He is eligible for admission. I explained the situation and told the person on the other end of the line that his Grandfather PHD in 67 and his uncle graduated Indiana Law B-town 87 and my son had been to every home football game his entire life. The response was OH My. We got lucky due to the second oldest profession. He got his letter the next day. He burned his Purdue acceptance on Facebook. How many kids don't have the grease?

Reactions: 76-1 and Rakkasan29
When the state doesn’t fund the universities adequately, they have to get their money elsewhere. And they get it from out-of-state tuition.
I disagree. Indiana graduates should be first in line and the university should find a way to make it work.

I disagree. Indiana graduates should be first in line and the university should find a way to make it work.
I share that sentiment, but there is a lot of truth in what gradman points out. The drop in state tuition support for in-state students has been drastic since I headed to B'town in 1977. I was very fortunate to have a Hoosier Scholarship worth full tuition but almost every in-state kid I knew got some financial aid from a state source. There were several of us from my high school who went to IU and several others who went to Purdue. Several were very average students but almost all of us managed to earn degrees.

I teach seniors in high school and am amazed and frustrated by the number of good students I see who get rejected or waitlisted by IU and Purdue. Many others opt elsewhere when they realize they're going to get almost no financial aid other than loans.

One of my daughters is an IUB grad. She could have gone to Franklin College for slightly less. She was a B student but qualified for zero academic or financial assistance. I was proud she wanted to go where her mother and I went and we had the means to help her. She worked part-time all through school and decided to move home and spend her last year at IUPUI to save money and limit her borrowing ( full disclosure here - she was saving for a wedding and had the opportunity to work more. In addition, her roommates had graduated the year before).

Another daughter didn't bother to apply to IU because she knew she wanted to go to Ball State for the theater program. I'm sure she would have been admitted but we never had any reason to compare financial aid. My youngest is a junior at Valpo.
She did apply to IU and got accepted but really loved the smaller feel of Valpo and what it had to offer. The crazy thing is that even though costs there are right at $50k per year, her financial aid package makes it cheaper than what my oldest was shelling out at IU ten years ago.

One place I do fault IU is that in its desire to attract the very top students it offers those kids the moon -whether they need it or not. A high school classmate of my oldest went to IUPUI on a full ride. Tuition, books, housing, a free laptop, all fees paid, and a stipend. Brilliant kid who majored in biochemistry. Her dad was a partner in a local law firm, mom had inherited a very successful business from her family. Grandpa had a 2000-acre farming operation, much of it handed down from previous generations. I'm sure the household annual income was close to a million (or more). I don't begrudge the kid being rewarded for her efforts, but a portion of that aid could have really been a boon to several kids who really needed assistance.

Reactions: IUgradman
I share that sentiment, but there is a lot of truth in what gradman points out. The drop in state tuition support for in-state students has been drastic since I headed to B'town in 1977. I was very fortunate to have a Hoosier Scholarship worth full tuition but almost every in-state kid I knew got some financial aid from a state source. There were several of us from my high school who went to IU and several others who went to Purdue. Several were very average students but almost all of us managed to earn degrees.

I teach seniors in high school and am amazed and frustrated by the number of good students I see who get rejected or waitlisted by IU and Purdue. Many others opt elsewhere when they realize they're going to get almost no financial aid other than loans.

One of my daughters is an IUB grad. She could have gone to Franklin College for slightly less. She was a B student but qualified for zero academic or financial assistance. I was proud she wanted to go where her mother and I went and we had the means to help her. She worked part-time all through school and decided to move home and spend her last year at IUPUI to save money and limit her borrowing ( full disclosure here - she was saving for a wedding and had the opportunity to work more. In addition, her roommates had graduated the year before).

Another daughter didn't bother to apply to IU because she knew she wanted to go to Ball State for the theater program. I'm sure she would have been admitted but we never had any reason to compare financial aid. My youngest is a junior at Valpo.
She did apply to IU and got accepted but really loved the smaller feel of Valpo and what it had to offer. The crazy thing is that even though costs there are right at $50k per year, her financial aid package makes it cheaper than what my oldest was shelling out at IU ten years ago.

One place I do fault IU is that in its desire to attract the very top students it offers those kids the moon -whether they need it or not. A high school classmate of my oldest went to IUPUI on a full ride. Tuition, books, housing, a free laptop, all fees paid, and a stipend. Brilliant kid who majored in biochemistry. Her dad was a partner in a local law firm, mom had inherited a very successful business from her family. Grandpa had a 2000-acre farming operation, much of it handed down from previous generations. I'm sure the household annual income was close to a million (or more). I don't begrudge the kid being rewarded for her efforts, but a portion of that aid could have really been a boon to several kids who really needed assistance.
My daughter is a junior at IU and graduated form an Indiana High School and received a scholarship through Indiana University. The scholarship is for the total cost of attendance so the state and the University still helps out kids from the state. With that scholarship plus other scholarships and FASFA she actually gets a check from IU every semester.

My son is a freshman at ISU but did not even try for IU because he wanted to go to a smaller school and campus. He was on the 21st century program which pays for all of his tuition and since he was on that ISU gave him a few more scholarships and he received FASFA as well so that covered all but $600.00 this semester.

Without help like this I could not have afforded to send my children to college and they would have had to go way in debt to attend college. I am a single father without any financial help from my ex wife so all of these scholarships really save me. I am saying all of this to say that the state still does help in state kids as well.

Last edited:
My daughter is a junior at IU and graduated form an Indiana High School and received a scholarship through Indiana University. The scholarship is for the total cost of attendance so the state and the University still helps out kids from the state. With that scholarship plus other scholarships and FASFA she actually gets a check from IU every semester.

My son is a freshman at ISU but did not even try for IU because he wanted to go to a smaller school and campus. He was on the 21st century program which pays for all of his tuition and since he was on that ISU gave him a few more scholarships and he received FASFA as well so that covered all but $600.00 this semester.

Without help like this I could not have afforded to send my children to college and they would have had to go way in debt to attend college. I am a single father without any financial help from my ex wife so all of these scholarships really save me. I am saying all of this to say that the state still does help in state kids as well.
You make a good point that I overlooked. The 21st century program is terrific and need-based aid is still available for kids from lower-income households. The problem is the lack of anything for most kids from middle-income families. A standard package for all students from in-state of $2500 per semester (renewable each semester with a C average) would make a huge difference. Over the course of 4 years that's $20k in student loan savings. That would be huge for kids starting life after college.

Scott - I know you and I have had some disagreements and some back and forth about the basketball “state of affairs” but I wanted to give you big props for managing your household as a single dad. Raising kids is tough even in two parent homes but I can only imagine the strain on a single mom or dad. I see the big pressure in the workplace with single parents trying to work and take care of kids. Even though your kids are older, it’s still a bunch of stress to shoulder all of the things you have to for a couple kids without any help. Kudos to you, sir! I mean that sincerely.

Scott - I know you and I have had some disagreements and some back and forth about the basketball “state of affairs” but I wanted to give you big props for managing your household as a single dad. Raising kids is tough even in two parent homes but I can only imagine the strain on a single mom or dad. I see the big pressure in the workplace with single parents trying to work and take care of kids. Even though your kids are older, it’s still a bunch of stress to shoulder all of the things you have to for a couple kids without any help. Kudos to you, sir! I mean that sincerely.
Thanks for those kind words and it does mean a lot to me. Also we need to remember we are only discussing sports on here and it really does not matter when all is said and done. I look at that kid Tyler at Purdue who has gone through with cancer and that should bring you back to reality and what is important.

Mitch is doing a helluva job and is being very innovative.

Wish he was leading IU.

Purdue opened up the checkbook to get a good coach and built a state-of-the-art football facility. IU did neither.
Not sure how you figure that. Allen is a gamble, no question about that. But the weight room, NEZ and SEZ constructions and indoor practice facility make a state-of-the-art facility comparable with most B1G schools. I've been in the puke facilities and they are definitely no better than IU's. IU's tradition of being a loser kills us. Even so, having watched IU for 5.5 decades, we're a hell of a lot better than we used to be.

Reactions: 76-1 and DANC

I too am a single father with twin sons in high school. Both driving now. It is a difficult labor of love. My hat’s off to you sir. Congratulations and good luck to you and your children. Go Hoosiers!

I'd say that Mitch Daniels is elevating Purdue in a lot of areas.

Reactions: DANC
I'd say that Mitch Daniels is elevating Purdue in a lot of areas.

I have known and worked with Mitch on boards and civic projects since his Lilly days. He was the right hire at the right time and I supported him completely and still do. PU was in need of management discipline following Jischke and Cordova who were both talented academics but not the CEO position required today.
Mitch has instilled financial discipline while allowing the research and teaching aspects to flourish.

Best thing about MMM though is that he is a now-closeted IU fan.

Thanks for those kind words and it does mean a lot to me. Also we need to remember we are only discussing sports on here and it really does not matter when all is said and done. I look at that kid Tyler at Purdue who has gone through with cancer and that should bring you back to reality and what is important.
yea man kudos to you. i can't imagine raising my two by myself. i suppose you just do what you have to do and get it done but i know it can't be easy.

21 century scholars is a great.

what schollies did your daughter receive?

yea man kudos to you. i can't imagine raising my two by myself. i suppose you just do what you have to do and get it done but i know it can't be easy.

21 century scholars is a great.

what schollies did your daughter receive?
I forget the name of the Scholarship she got but one stipulation is that she has to work at least 10 hours a week at an organization in Bloomington. I had some help raising my kids because we moved in with my parents but I provided majority of financial help they needed. She received the scholarship from IU but also got some from our local area as well and some more for her academic success. Both of my kids receive like $5500 from FASFA as well. The reason I was able to get my son on 21st century was at the time he could sign up I was out of work and it goes on your income. When my daughter was at the age to sign up for 21st century I made to much to get her on it.

Reactions: IU40IU
Nor government, nor economics, nor leadership, nor the arts, nor the environment, nor education. Nor civic planning, nor politics. This isn't some knock on other universities. This state is flush with tremendous universities. IU simply has the combination of strengths and competencies that drive the state and that was by design.
I would seriously like to see some backup for your post about “driving the State”.... that has been one of my biggest complaints with the University .... I don’t think they do anything near what you are insinuating.... but I’d happily accept being proven wrong.

I would seriously like to see some backup for your post about “driving the State”.... that has been one of my biggest complaints with the University .... I don’t think they do anything near what you are insinuating.... but I’d happily accept being proven wrong.

Look at the areas of study. Look at the alumni base and their positions within the key aspects of our economy, governance and culture.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT