ADVERTISEMENT

Football Scoop says Greg Frey is out at F$U

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana
Seemingly an odd move given that he just had several major recruiting wins.

Do those guys he recruited get to enter the portal (I'm joking, they're screwed for at least a year unless the Head Coach gets fired).

No reason for his "not returning" given yet.

Anyone out there have any details?

Do those guys he recruited get to enter the portal (I'm joking, they're screwed for at least a year unless the Head Coach gets fired).

Taggart dumped him, although injuries destroyed their OL .
He was great developing OL for CKW at IU.
Look at IU NFL OL today.

Hope those new F$U recruits "chose the school" and not their position coach...
F$U is in turmoil right now. Something is not right. Frey may have wanted out of that situation or he clashed with Taggart somehow. I wonder where he will end up at.

FSU's O-line this year was beyond bad, might not have been FCS level. It is why they were 5-7. It was painful to watch. It has been that way for the last two years. No holes opened for 4 and 5 star backs and the QB played on his back the entire season. That is why he is gone.

Reactions: vesuvius13

He's coming here for an analyst position ;)

So glad neither are at IU. No smiley face

Did you once say you were a former player?

What's your negative take on either of them?

Any first hand interaction?

If not, what's your happiness that they aren't here based on?

Last edited:
F$U is in turmoil right now. Something is not right. Frey may have wanted out of that situation or he clashed with Taggart somehow. I wonder where he will end up at.

FSU has always been known for recruiting players with questionable backgrounds. The MSU of the South

Taggart dumped him, although injuries destroyed their OL .
He was great developing OL for CKW at IU.
Look at IU NFL OL today.
I wouldn't say he was great. He's had some hits no question, but our current OL coach has developed more NFL OL than Frey has. Frey has been a coach at several major Power 5 programs and doesn't stick long. He is a great guy, but I honestly don't see him as an upgrade to what we currently have. Remember it was Wilson/Frey that left the cupboard pretty bare for Allen and company to have to rebuild. Those two definitely had some hits, but they had way more misses than hits in terms of producing solid, NFL OL.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Did you once say you were a former player?

What's your negative take on either of them?

Any first hand interaction?

If not, what's your happiness that they aren't here based on?

Yea I played, but smaller than IU. It was NAIA. However, in the summer I would get to work out with the team at Memorial Stadium. That was ‘95 - ‘98. No personal interactions. I’ve never been impressed by Canada and I always thought that he was under qualified when he was at IU. He’s gotten better, but he was in way over his head back then. Frey is a jumper. We need a staff that sticks together long term and a couple of retreads do not fit the bill for me.

Yea I played, but smaller than IU. It was NAIA. However, in the summer I would get to work out with the team at Memorial Stadium. That was ‘95 - ‘98. No personal interactions. I’ve never been impressed by Canada and I always thought that he was under qualified when he was at IU. He’s gotten better, but he was in way over his head back then. Frey is a jumper. We need a staff that sticks together long term and a couple of retreads do not fit the bill for me.

Thanks for responding.

I agree with you about Frey. I get the impression that Wilson and Patton had as much to do with our good offensive lines as Fry did. As soon as he was separated from those two his luster wore off quickly...

Canada is a bit of an enigma, but I think he's better than many think... Paired with a legitimate passing game I think his offense would flourish...

I still think he'd (Canada) make a fine pickup at an "Analyst" slot for next fall... It appears he's "taking the year off" approach though...

Who's knows, maybe Frey would make a better "Analyst" than a full time coach...

Personally, I'd just hire him/them as contract analysts; to break down opponents game films and give their opinions as to weaknesses that might be exploited. A couple of extra sets of professional eyes never hurts. You could easily insulate them from the actual game plan so "trust" wouldn't have to be a concern...

Edited to spell Freys name correctly (vs "Fry").

Last edited:
I don't understand the reaction we have to former coaches. You might dislike CKW and decide to color some of his assistants who have left with the brush you deem appropriate for Wilson, but let's remember facts. We had pretty good OLs under Frey (not FRY). Did we have holes and misses? Yep. Anymore more holes or misses than we have had at other positions over the years? Nope. Did we develop some pretty good lineman? For sure. IU has produced six first team all-american offensive lineman in its history (yes its history). Two of the six were during the short time Frey was here. Sorry, don't see that as a coincidence. He developed offensive lineman, in my humble opinion. Give the man his due

Last edited:
I don't understand the reaction we have to former coaches. You might dislike CKW and decide to color some of his assistants who have left with the brush you deem appropriate for Wilson, but let's remember facts. We had pretty good OLs under Frey (not FRY). Did we have holes and misses? Yep. Anymore more holes or misses than we have had at other positions over the years? Nope. Did we develop some pretty good lineman? For sure. IU has produced six first team all-american offensive lineman in its history (yes its history). Two of the six were during the short time Frey was here. Sorry, don't see that as a coincidence. He developed offensive lineman, in my humble opinion. Give the man his due
The question is did he develop the whole OL or was IU's success due to the system run. Since defenses had to defend the pass they didn't focus so much on the run. Add in that the OL wasn't asked to drive defense off the line but instead pull and go wide. Those offenses had real problems in short yardage situations that continue to today. I hope the new OL brought in 2018 and 2019 can become an OL that can pick up short yardage downs to pick up a TD or 1st down.

Not sure it’s fair to call Frey a jumper. I don’t know the exact timelines but he left WVU with Richrod to MI, left MI with the whole crew when RR got canned, left here for FSU (can’t say I blame him), and left FSU b/c he had no choice. I’d say that’s pretty typical for an assistant/position coach.

Not sure it’s fair to call Frey a jumper. I don’t know the exact timelines but he left WVU with Richrod to MI, left MI with the whole crew when RR got canned, left here for FSU (can’t say I blame him), and left FSU b/c he had no choice. I’d say that’s pretty typical for an assistant/position coach.

Your history is incorrect ... he left, on his own, to coach for Harbaugh directly after IU ...

He may not be a jumper, but he sure hasn’t lasted long anywhere

The question is did he develop the whole OL or was IU's success due to the system run. Since defenses had to defend the pass they didn't focus so much on the run. Add in that the OL wasn't asked to drive defense off the line but instead pull and go wide. Those offenses had real problems in short yardage situations that continue to today. I hope the new OL brought in 2018 and 2019 can become an OL that can pick up short yardage downs to pick up a TD or 1st down.
You only teach what the system requires you to teach. If you are down block and kick out or zone team you don’t teach drive block.
There is no reason to teach techniques that are not used in the scheme.
Greg Frey’s o line have always been solid. He was not the main coach at Michigan his last stint and he inherited a mess at FSU.

Can you blame him?
He was at USF for 10 years left went to West Virginia for a year left with staff to go to Michigan was there until entire staff was fired. Was at IU for 5 years and was offered big raise to go to Michigan was let go and then went to FSU and walked into a mess and was let go. Doesn’t really indicate that he is a jumper.

Can you blame him?

For leaving IU? No, it’s the nature of the college coaching carousel ...

... it would appear he thought his stock was high and tried to take advantage of it ... however, leaving for UM and then getting bounced to and from FSU is not good optics.

I’ll trust those who know him and paint him as a good guy ... as far as the mess he left the oline when he left IU, i dont miss him a bit. Wilson just plain dropped the ball at the end as far as recruiting the online ... almost like he didn’t think he’d be around to have to clean up that mess. Weird.

... it would appear he thought his stock was high and tried to take advantage of it ... however, leaving for UM and then getting bounced to and from FSU is not good optics.

I’ll trust those who know him and paint him as a good guy ... as far as the mess he left the oline when he left IU, i dont miss him a bit. Wilson just plain dropped the ball at the end as far as recruiting the online ... almost like he didn’t think he’d be around to have to clean up that mess. Weird.
You have to look they brought in some guys that had career ending injuries not much you can do about that. Brought in Brandon Knight and Coy Cronk both have had solid careers. Wes Martin will get a shot to play for someone in the NFL so I don’t think they left as big a mess as people would try to lead you to believe.

You have to look they brought in some guys that had career ending injuries not much you can do about that. Brought in Brandon Knight and Coy Cronk both have had solid careers. Wes Martin will get a shot to play for someone in the NFL so I don’t think they left as big a mess as people would try to lead you to believe.

The other side of that coin is with CKWs hazy long term prospects at IU it got harder to recruit every position, let alone OL with several years typically before they even see the field.

CKW was pretty successful in his early days with Oline recruits. Spriggs and Feeney were absolute studs. That dropped off significantly after their class. He had a couple of 4 year anchors and that was huge. However, in the 4 years they anchored our line, where were the replacements? Cronk had to start as a true frosh. That's not good. Making excuses for CKW and Frey doesn't change the fact that they didn't have players ready to step in after guys like Spriggs and Feeney graduated.

The "Not ready to step in" argument can be made against all but the highest level of coaches. CTA has been at IU for three years (two as head coach). Is he to blame, or partially to blame, for LB situation last year? Not trying to take shots at coaches or players, but we didn't have folks "step in" for Scales and Covington, at least not at the level we would have liked. I will not fault either CKW or Frey for having some holes. If I didn't know better, I would think some view this as a new phenomenon for IU football. I would say it occurred less under CKW and his staff than prior coaches and staffs (possibly with exception of Mallory during his bowl years).

Reactions: Chriselli
When I say not ready to step in, I'm specifically pointing out that we had a 4 year starter in Spriggs graduate and we replaced him with a true frosh. That's alarmingly not ready. It should never happen. If we'd have been able to RS Cronk, we'd be in a much better spot with the quality of our line. We had to throw him to the wolves because we didn't have anyone else.

When I say not ready to step in, I'm specifically pointing out that we had a 4 year starter in Spriggs graduate and we replaced him with a true frosh. That's alarmingly not ready. It should never happen. If we'd have been able to RS Cronk, we'd be in a much better spot with the quality of our line. We had to throw him to the wolves because we didn't have anyone else.
If I recall, part of that problem is that CKW realized how bad the defense was and gave a majority of the scholarships to the defensive side of the ball for several years trying to fix that. You have to admit that when Allen stepped in as DC he did have some players to work with.

Not excusing him neglecting the OL, I just think he thought he was good enough to overcome it.

It took Wilson too long to make a bowl game. I remember thinking that the Pin Stripe Bowl would really boost his recruiting levels back to the 2013 levels when he signed a handful of 4* players, that never materialized.

We live in a world where five years is simply way too long for a coach to produce his first bowl season. I was always surprised that the brass allowed a five year window to produce one lousy bowl game. It did produce two bowl games but his recruiting was basically flat, without any spark.

Had Roberson not gotten injured in 2012, I think Wilson's tenure would've been a much more successful one. That injury really changed the direction of his tenure. He fought/coached through it, but Tre would've led that team to a nice bowl season and who knows what would've transpired if that came to pass.

Wilson squandered a ton of wins....particularly with the NFL talent populating his rosters.

Fans that don't understand that Wilson's OL players weren't taught to do drive blocks. They didn't bring in OL players that knew how to drive block in the offense. Those players haven't got the skills for the current offense. It takes several years to replace those back ups and it will take time to have replace those OL men.

Reactions: ESalum86
It took Wilson too long to make a bowl game. I remember thinking that the Pin Stripe Bowl would really boost his recruiting levels back to the 2013 levels when he signed a handful of 4* players, that never materialized.

We live in a world where five years is simply way too long for a coach to produce his first bowl season. I was always surprised that the brass allowed a five year window to produce one lousy bowl game. It did produce two bowl games but his recruiting was basically flat, without any spark.

Had Roberson not gotten injured in 2012, I think Wilson's tenure would've been a much more successful one. That injury really changed the direction of his tenure. He fought/coached through it, but Tre would've led that team to a nice bowl season and who knows what would've transpired if that came to pass.

Wilson squandered a ton of wins....particularly with the NFL talent populating his rosters.
Well Wilson also had awful defenses in those early years too. Not sure even Tre could have overcome that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT