ADVERTISEMENT

Flak Bait being restored at Hazy (National Air and Space Museum)

JamieDimonsBalls

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2015
I'm sure @Marvin the Martian knows about it, but what a cool story that I don't remember from my days of WWII research and interest.

When World War II ended in 1945, a Martin B-26 Marauder named Flak-Bait had flown 201 combat missions — more than any other US plane in the conflict.

Flak-Bait lived up to its name during the war. It sustained hits on almost every mission, once having its hydraulics shot out, and twice losing its electrical system to German 88mm guns. On two other sorties, it returned home on only a single engine.

By war’s end, the bomber endured more than 1,000 strikes. Not a single panel on it had gone unscathed.

I'm sure @Marvin the Martian knows about it, but what a cool story that I don't remember from my days of WWII research and interest.

When World War II ended in 1945, a Martin B-26 Marauder named Flak-Bait had flown 201 combat missions — more than any other US plane in the conflict.

Flak-Bait lived up to its name during the war. It sustained hits on almost every mission, once having its hydraulics shot out, and twice losing its electrical system to German 88mm guns. On two other sorties, it returned home on only a single engine.

By war’s end, the bomber endured more than 1,000 strikes. Not a single panel on it had gone unscathed.

I hadn't heard its story, that is incredible to take that many hits without any downing the plane. I wonder how many of her crew died.

I hadn't heard its story, that is incredible to take that many hits without any downing the plane. I wonder how many of her crew died.

Wiki has:

Despite the level of damage it received, none of Flak-Bait's crew were killed during the war and only one was injured

o_O

Here's more on it, with some conflicting info, but doesn't sound like any crew perished.

Here's a cool video:

When I was a kid, my dad worked with a WW Ii vet who was an accomplished military artist. He did pencil sketches and I had several. My absolute favorite was his sketch of the Martin Marauder. I thought that was the coolest-looking plane.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT