ADVERTISEMENT

Fisch says CJ West unlikely to sit out 1st half Saturday....

That's interesting...Can someone post the video as I missed that particular play and can't find it.

I don’t understand the second roughing the passer. Looked like a good clean tackle. No head contact.

That was one of the Worst calls of the game (No Calls against DB's draped all over Sarrett on at least two occasions Prior to the Ball arriving come in at 2 & 3)...

That sack of the QB was a textbook tackle and there's zero reason for a roughing call in that instance... Their was no way our guy could have avoided falling on the QB simply as a follow thru of tackle... The Big Ten needs to send the guys who agreed with that call back to Ref school...

Last edited:
I don’t understand the second roughing the passer. Looked like a good clean tackle. No head contact.
TV said he drove the QB into the ground and fell on him. He was rushing the passer. You don't let up as you hit the QB. You wrap up and take the player to the ground. And yes, you want to land on the offensive player. He isn't down until a knee, but, forearm or shin is on the ground. It was a stupid call as was the targeting where two players were going after a fumble.

TV said he drove the QB into the ground and fell on him. He was rushing the passer. You don't let up as you hit the QB. You wrap up and take the player to the ground. And yes, you want to land on the offensive player. He isn't down until a knee, but, forearm or shin is on the ground. It was a stupid call as was the targeting where two players were going after a fumble.
They were both High School level calls.. West's arm clearly struck a blow on the QB arm and then brushed his helmet...no 'blow' or hard contact at all..

The sack call was horrendous.
Freaking form tackle. Grill in his chest and wrap...no helmet strike at all...

I hope these were outliers..and not the new, gentler B18!!

The explanation that was given by the officiating Expert in the Booth was that The hit itself wasn't the problem. It was the fact that He used His body weight to drive the quarterback to the ground. I don't know what You do if You are a pass rusher. You can't hit below the knee, You can't hit above chest level, and if hit the QB in the back from the Blindside, You have no idea what They will call. So if You hit the QB from the front in the Chest and drive through Him to complete the Tackle, it's roughing the Passer. So I guess You are left with is hit between the top of the knees and armpits. And don't forget to pull the cloth flag from one side of his football belt as You go by.

He's heard a strong rumor that the B10 has rescinded that penalty for his targeting call vs UCLA.. Can't remember when a ruling like this favored IU!
The big 10 office resending a ruling in favor of IU?
shocked the princess bride GIF

They were both High School level calls.. West's arm clearly struck a blow on the QB arm and then brushed his helmet...no 'blow' or hard contact at all..

The sack call was horrendous.
Freaking form tackle. Grill in his chest and wrap...no helmet strike at all...

I hope these were outliers..and not the new, gentler B18!!
What clears it now and forever and for sure and for certain is to fire the responsible asshole.

The explanation that was given by the officiating Expert in the Booth was that The hit itself wasn't the problem. It was the fact that He used His body weight to drive the quarterback to the ground. ...
Take that with a grain or 50 lb. bag of salt IMO.
I heard that explanation as someone fishing for a way to justify a call that revealed a high level of incompetence by the officials. I went looking for the text of the rule to see if it stated mere form tackling in that manner (aren't the defenders knees down before they finish?) with as driving the QB to the ground, but then said the hell with it.

On Wests targeting call it looked like both guys were going for the ball , their QB lowered his head , and both helmets had a glancing blow . West did not drive his helmet into the QB , bad call . The roughing the passer call was one of the worst calls I’ve seen in years . It was a text book sack of the QB . If that was a penalty, then everytime a QB is tackled it would be roughing the passer .

The explanation that was given by the officiating Expert in the Booth was that The hit itself wasn't the problem. It was the fact that He used His body weight to drive the quarterback to the ground. I don't know what You do if You are a pass rusher. You can't hit below the knee, You can't hit above chest level, and if hit the QB in the back from the Blindside, You have no idea what They will call. So if You hit the QB from the front in the Chest and drive through Him to complete the Tackle, it's roughing the Passer. So I guess You are left with is hit between the top of the knees and armpits. And don't forget to pull the cloth flag from one side of his football belt as You go by.
Are supposed to pick a QB up, burn them like a baby and lay them down on the ground?

To make it even more difficult, you see him bounce off the backside of an offensive lineman after he initiated contact and had very little control over how he was going to land at that point.

There are times when you can tell the defender wraps up the player, then lifts up slightly before driving straight down. That certainly was not the case here. In fact, I can't think of a better form tackle for a sack than that.

There are times when you can tell the defender wraps up the player, then lifts up slightly before driving straight down. That certainly was not the case here. In fact, I can't think of a better form tackle for a sack than that.
My first thought, once they threw the flag, was that he was going to be called for taunting because he walked over him.

That would’ve been a weak call as well because he didn’t stop and stand over him.

Although he landed on him it didn’t look like he “drove him into the ground with all of his weight” (whatever the wording was). It’s easily noticeable when that happens.

He's heard a strong rumor that the B10 has rescinded that penalty for his targeting call vs UCLA.. Can't remember when a ruling like this favored IU!
I’d get that in writing from the Big Ten office. Knowing how the NCAA is, they would come back and say we played an ineligible player in the next game and try to penalize us.

The calls on Carr, West and Walker were bad. I thought the Ponds call was appropriate. However the lack of a call on the hit on Fisher was unacceptable based on intent and being defenseless.
Even on Ponds call, the outcome was a lot worse than the intent. Ponds clearly tried to pull up or that hit could have been much worse. I'm not sure what a defender is supposed to do there? It was a poorly thrown ball by the QB that put his receiver in a vulnerable position. There isn't a DB coach in America who would teach his player to simply let defender catch the ball in that instance, it was 3rd and 16.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT