ADVERTISEMENT

Fisch interview with DeBoer

Super interview! He is a humble dude and a well spoken person. I sincerely hope that he continues to build upon our ground game. I thought it showed good promise last season and it certainly has the talent in place to produce at a high level.

He did mention the intermediate passing game in a quick sentence during the interview. I liked to hear that because I always felt like Debord's medium passing game was the weak part of his offense. That's why many of us were jonesing for the medium passing game of the Wilson era....

In summary, I look forward to a more robust passing game but also hope he continues to develop the running game. Indiana has the most talent I've possibly ever seen in their current running back room.

He did mention the intermediate passing game in a quick sentence during the interview. I liked to hear that because I always felt like Debord's medium passing game was the weak part of his offense. That's why many of us were jonesing for the medium passing game of the Wilson era....
Yea he seems like he fits Allens mold well from a philosophy standpoint. Loves to coach, teach and learn.

As far as the offense goes I think we will look like we always have as far as lining up in the spread. I mentioned in another thread the thing that stuck out in Fresno's stats was 55 balls to the TE. So when you mention that intermediate passing attack I hope we see alot of that. :)

Yea he seems like he fits Allens mold well from a philosophy standpoint. Loves to coach, teach and learn.

As far as the offense goes I think we will look like we always have as far as lining up in the spread. I mentioned in another thread the thing that stuck out in Fresno's stats was 55 balls to the TE. So when you mention that intermediate passing attack I hope we see alot of that. :)
We've got a couple good tight ends in Peyton Hendershot and the big ole kid from Chicago..Ivey? I liked what Hendershot showed last season, he could be very good.

We've got a couple good tight ends in Peyton Hendershot and the big ole kid from Chicago..Ivey? I liked what Hendershot showed last season, he could be very good.
Yeah, I think Ivy could be good but also like Bjordsen (sp?) the other freshman. I think those guys could be good and I love me some tight end involvement.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Very excited about him. Checks off so many boxes and seems like a great cultural fit as well. Would not be surprised to see a healthy jump in offensive production next year. Certainly some due to the talent and maturity of younger players, and a lot from the confidence and efficiency I believe DeBoer is going to bring. He has a quiet humility but can also tell a competitive spirit of an ex-athlete and he’s done well at every stop. Don’t see that changing at IU which is really exciting!

I'll admit, I was very skeptical about his hire at first. I guess that was largely because I didn't know too much about him and his offense looks very close to a Debord offense.

That's not all a bad thing. If this guy can refine the passing aspects of the offense, it's actually a good thing. I remember Shane Wynn running fairly detailed medium to long routes under Wilson and he really shined doing that. If this guy can get Whop doing that, then great! Whop is the guy that needs to be The Guy in the passing game this fall.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I'll admit, I was very skeptical about his hire at first. I guess that was largely because I didn't know too much about him and his offense looks very close to a Debord offense.

That's not all a bad thing. If this guy can refine the passing aspects of the offense, it's actually a good thing. I remember Shane Wynn running fairly detailed medium to long routes under Wilson and he really shined doing that. If this guy can get Whop doing that, then great! Whop is the guy that needs to be The Guy in the passing game this fall.

Do we need or want someone to be The Guy?

Wouldn't it be more productive and harder on the defense if we had 4, 5 or even 6 guys that on any one play could be The Guy?

Yes, I would love to see defenses trying to figure out if it’s Whop, or a TE or Stevie coming at them and having to pick which poison to cover.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Do we need or want someone to be The Guy?

Wouldn't it be more productive and harder on the defense if we had 4, 5 or even 6 guys that on any one play could be The Guy?
Definitely understand what you're saying, but come crunch time with the IU/UM game in the balance, Whop or someone needs to be able to be The Guy who takes it to the house.

We need guys like Cody Latimer and Kofi Hughes. It's not hard to imagine Westbrook and Hale tandeming together to produce similar numbers. Just go back and watch their career highlights on YouTube, their circus catches were truly amazing.

An example of Whop being the guy is his long touchdown scamper during the Michigan State game. He took a short completion and turned it into a 70 yard touchdown run.

Definitely understand what you're saying, but come crunch time with the IU/UM game in the balance, Whop or someone needs to be able to be The Guy who takes it to the house.

We need guys like Cody Latimer and Kofi Hughes. It's not hard to imagine Westbrook and Hale tandeming together to produce similar numbers. Just go back and watch their career highlights on YouTube, their circus catches were truly amazing.

An example of Whop being the guy is his long touchdown scamper during the Michigan State game. He took a short completion and turned it into a 70 yard touchdown run.

I agree that it would be nice to have a game changer when you need one. Somewhat like Moore for that other school. :)

Reactions: td75
Sounds like a good coach and fit for the program. Anyone know if he is a good recruiter? Until IU can flip the field and start bringing in classes higher up in the conference don’t know how they will be able to move higher than past Rutgers, Maryland and Illinois. Coaching is great, but we need better jimmys and joes than the other big ten teams to get past them.

Sounds like a good coach and fit for the program. Anyone know if he is a good recruiter? Until IU can flip the field and start bringing in classes higher up in the conference don’t know how they will be able to move higher than past Rutgers, Maryland and Illinois. Coaching is great, but we need better jimmys and joes than the other big ten teams to get past them.
Steady improvement, rain man, is the key. It wasn't that long ago when IU was dead last (or next to last) in conference recruiting. We're moving on up!

We have multiple 4 stars and a ton of 3 stars. That's what you see for most successful programs outside of OSU, Bama, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT