ADVERTISEMENT

First Hand Account of Iwo Jima

iBizan Beat

Benchwarmer
Feb 11, 2008
The linked newsletter below was written by my neighbor who is a WWII vet (USMC) who served at Iwo Jima. The newsletter, which he puts together a couple times a year, recounts stories from his unit during their time at Iwo Jima… lives lost, lives saved, heroic acts. I found it fascinating and thought I’d share. Feel free to pass it along if you’d like.

Fox Company Scoop

The linked newsletter below was written by my neighbor who is a WWII vet (USMC) who served at Iwo Jima. The newsletter, which he puts together a couple times a year, recounts stories from his unit during their time at Iwo Jima… lives lost, lives saved, heroic acts. I found it fascinating and thought I’d share. Feel free to pass it along if you’d like.

Fox Company Scoop
Thanks for sharing. I'm headed to Munich soon and am going to check out Dachau and some other WWII sites.

Fox Company Scoop
Thanks for posting. The generations that followed these guys, including myself, have no real appreciation (for the most part) what that must have been like. I love hearing those stories. My grandfather served in Italy and Africa during WWII and he so many stories and I begged to hear them over and over. There were some he just couldn't stand to tell (particularly one about his best friend dying). He claimed to have seen Mussolini hanging in Milan after he was executed, and I have no reason to doubt his memory.

Thanks for sharing. Those are the stories that need to be told and kept alive.

I've been to Dachau. What a surreal experience. While we were there, a survivor was there talking to people. Unfortunately I don't speak German but my friend does so he could understand he was retelling some stories. It was chilling and humbling hearing him speak even not knowing what he was saying. Memorable to say the least.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT