ADVERTISEMENT

Fears decommits from Illini

top 40, 2025 guard. this is going to become like football a commitment doesn't mean anything until they show up on campus.
weird situation. IL got commitments for 2 portal guards and was still recruiting a third more highly rated PG in his class. Then he wanted to reclassify, but he's super thin and probably not ready for B10 ball this year. Sounded almost like IL didn't really want him anymore for some reason. Sleepers has a couple of videos about him.

Reactions: Seyton
To a neutral fan, the Illinois program is pretty interesting. They have had a lot of additions and departures, includes a couple foreign players. Nine new players this year -- who knows how they all come together? They need some stability on that roster...

In general they're a pretty serious program. Their athletic dept spends a lot of bball, and their NIL seems pretty good. I'd be curious where their NIL comes from.

To a neutral fan, the Illinois program is pretty interesting. They have had a lot of additions and departures, includes a couple foreign players. Nine new players this year -- who knows how they all come together? They need some stability on that roster...

In general they're a pretty serious program. Their athletic dept spends a lot of bball, and their NIL seems pretty good. I'd be curious where their NIL comes from.
Illinois has more NIL than us on average if you count all three years. They are a serious player.

• Wow
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Illinois has always paid players and has never won shit.

Except for a few years with White as coach in the '70s(?) they haven't won squat in football either since Butkis left. For years they were viewed as a 'sleeper' program in the sport, but they seem to settled into bottom 8 status in the BT long-term.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
people don't realize how impactful the Nick Anderson half courter to beat IU really was. If IU wins that game, they split with ILL (after already sweeping UM), IU wins the B1G by 2 full games, and probably snags the final #1 seed while ILL gets the highest 2 seed. I checked the tourney brackets and the other three #1 seeds (OK, G-town and AZ, were solid). With IU as the #1 and ILL getting a 2 seed, that would have changed the matchups and entire construction of the tourney. Not saying that leads to a F4 appearance by IU...but that one shot basically flipped the #1/#2 seed argument. No way ILL gets the #1 over IU with a season split and IU winning the B1G by 2 full games.

people don't realize how impactful the Nick Anderson half courter to beat IU really was. If IU wins that game, they split with ILL (after already sweeping UM), IU wins the B1G by 2 full games, and probably snags the final #1 seed while ILL gets the highest 2 seed. I checked the tourney brackets and the other three #1 seeds (OK, G-town and AZ, were solid). With IU as the #1 and ILL getting a 2 seed, that would have changed the matchups and entire construction of the tourney. Not saying that leads to a F4 appearance by IU...but that one shot basically flipped the #1/#2 seed argument. No way ILL gets the #1 over IU with a season split and IU winning the B1G by 2 full games.
I can remember listening to the end of the Seton Hall game, riding in the back of my dad's Oldsmobile on our way home from dinner. I was 10, going on 11...pretty sure I cried a little bit. Seton Hall wasn't exactly a household name, I remember being confused on how it could happen. I remember the Australian or New Zealand guy Gaze hitting big shot after big shot. One of my more painful loss memories. Up there with the 93 teams loss to Kansas, Teddy V FF game in 92, and Cody/Vic's Syracuse loss.

That year doesn't get enough pub as one of our great teams. I think that team had just as good a shot at a Natty as any of the Cheaney teams did.

I can remember listening to the end of the Seton Hall game, riding in the back of my dad's Oldsmobile on our way home from dinner. I was 10, going on 11...pretty sure I cried a little bit. Seton Hall wasn't exactly a household name, I remember being confused on how it could happen. I remember the Australian or New Zealand guy Gaze hitting big shot after big shot. One of my more painful loss memories. Up there with the 93 teams loss to Kansas, Teddy V FF game in 92, and Cody/Vic's Syracuse loss.

That year doesn't get enough pub as one of our great teams. I think that team had just as good a shot at a Natty as any of the Cheaney teams did.
agreed, except for the 92 team. We were loaded and on a roll, demolished UCLA in the E8, and were outplaying the dookies until the refs took over.

If Hurley hadn't been shooting out of his ass in the first half, IU might have been up 20 in the locker room at halftime.

But yeah, the 88-89 team went on a crazy run after a rough start and won something like 22 out of 23 games in the middle of the season, including the B1G. Jay turns into superman, frosh Eric Anderson (RIP) played like an upperclassman. Problem was that Jay got into foul trouble against SHall, and the Hall was a very hot team at that point (they dismantled Duke in the F4, so there were no fluke). Kinda seems like the forgotten great IU season in our history.

I was at the IU/UM game in the Hall when Jay hit the shot with 0 on the clock. Still remember it like yesterday. Keith Jackson, Dick Vitale, the ABC Sunday afternoon game of the week.

I was at the IU/UM game in the Hall when Jay hit the shot with 0 on the clock. Still remember it like yesterday. Keith Jackson, Dick Vitale, the ABC Sunday afternoon game of the week.
Me too. Up in the balcony. I was in the balcony on the other side for the Illini game. What a post-game emotional swing from those two.

weird situation. IL got commitments for 2 portal guards and was still recruiting a third more highly rated PG in his class. Then he wanted to reclassify, but he's super thin and probably not ready for B10 ball this year. Sounded almost like IL didn't really want him anymore for some reason. Sleepers has a couple of videos about him.

Fears is reclassifying to 2024. Despite not getting a lot of attention, Illinois has a loaded roster this year. The rumor is Fears wanted guarantees of playing time and Illinois wouldn't give any.

Reactions: Bill4411

I'd assume Jerry Colangelo is involved. But there's a ton of Illinois alumni that it could be.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
UI applicants submit to a lottery for admittance … kids with straight A’s get turned down.
They should have plenty of donors. The talent seldom gets over the hump.

Branch campuses don’t, to my experience, have “Illini Fever”
UIC Flames languish behind Bulls Bears Blackhawks, Cubs and Sox.
Pacers and Colts are upstarts in Indy.

UI has no instate equivalent competition to Purdue and Notre Dame …
NU’s recent relevancy was built on decades of mediocre teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT