ADVERTISEMENT

Failure to pay

Marvin the Martian

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2001
Evidently in at least one town in Alabama it is SOP to arrest people for failing to pay their garbage bill. Now to be precise, both jail sentences came after failing to appear at a trial for failure to pay. But still, that seems pretty bad. Here is one from late 2022:

I see a second case happened just a couple of days ago though the SPLC had it thrown out, and asked the court to stop the town from jailing people in the future.

I get the town wants their money, but we don't really have debtor's prison. Especially not for under $100. Unless they committed fraud, the IRS would not put them in jail.

In this second case, the person had to pay $285 to a bail bondsman. Having someone who can't afford their $75 trash bill pay $285 doesn't seem particularly productive. I can't figure out why a law exists that elevates this from a civil matter. Here is the more recent case:

Reactions: vesuvius13
Evidently in at least one town in Alabama it is SOP to arrest people for failing to pay their garbage bill. Now to be precise, both jail sentences came after failing to appear at a trial for failure to pay. But still, that seems pretty bad. Here is one from late 2022:

I see a second case happened just a couple of days ago though the SPLC had it thrown out, and asked the court to stop the town from jailing people in the future.

I get the town wants their money, but we don't really have debtor's prison. Especially not for under $100. Unless they committed fraud, the IRS would not put them in jail.

In this second case, the person had to pay $285 to a bail bondsman. Having someone who can't afford their $75 trash bill pay $285 doesn't seem particularly productive. I can't figure out why a law exists that elevates this from a civil matter. Here is the more recent case:

yeah that's some bs. it's not arrested for failing to pay trash. it's a warrant issued for failure to appear. they do that crap here all the time. city earnings tax bill. don't even live in the city anymore. court date set. no show. warrant. code violations in munis. etc. i hated practicing law but i knew a trust fund lawyer who was an ivy league alum who only took cases he thought would either be fun or an injustice. he'd sue over shit like this all the time. throwing some aggravation back and until a change was made. he'd often win a penny. that'd be a lot of fun

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT