ADVERTISEMENT

Expanding the recruiting base.

i'vegotwinners

Hall of Famer
Dec 1, 2006
doesn't LeBron still have 4 yrs eligibility left.

i'm guessing the "pro" thing no longer disqualifies him, and with NIL, he can still make just as much on endorsements.

our being an Adidas school could be problem though.

will be interesting to see if some ex pro who skipped college, or left college early and the 5 yr clock hasn't run out on them yet, and no longer has an NBA gig, doesn't test this now.

maybe Woodson and Witman need to start making some calls.

remember, you heard it from me first.

Cav, this is your chance to start a whole new sports' agent business, and don't forget to throw me some payback.

i'm guessing the "pro" thing no longer disqualifies him, and with NIL, he can still make just as much on endorsements.

will be interesting to see if some ex pro who skipped college, or left college early and the 5 yr clock hasn't run out on them yet, and no longer has an NBA gig, doesn't test this now.

Cav, this is your chance to start a whole new sports' agent business, and don't forget to throw me some payback.
ill bet you

I'll bet JR Smith has some eligibility and is in college, that would be the first call I'd make, just need to pretty up the golf course first, but it is a legit question and seems he like's college enough to want to play golf. Can you imagine what kind of Tasmanian devil that would be, it is funny just to think about it, like unleash the Kraken

Last edited:
There was a few weeks last year where I actually debated if I wanted to try to become a sports agent. Thank god that just lasted 2 weeks. I would have shot myself if I actually quit my job and started that.

was trying to raise the bigger question of who now is eligible to play college ball, and who isn't.

more succinctly, are guys who went pro and didn't stick, or no longer have a place in the NBA, now eligible to play college again, when pre NIL their pro status or even signing with an agent disqualified them.

has the NCAA even looked at or ruled on this yet?

have options for court challenges on who is and isn't NCAA eligible been altered since NIL?

and what is the exact rule on the 5 to play 4 yrs clock?

does that clock continue to run if a player leaves college, just as it doesn't start till he initially enters college.

enquiring minds want to know.

was trying to raise the bigger question of who now is eligible to play college ball, and who isn't.

more succinctly, are guys who went pro and didn't stick, or no longer have a place in the NBA, now eligible to play college again, when pre NIL their pro status or even signing with an agent disqualified them.

have options for court challenges on who is and isn't NCAA eligible been altered since NIL?

does that clock continue to run if a player leaves college, just as it doesn't start till he initially enters college.

Interesting question. Why should players have to choose college or pro before the draft? Give colleges a chance to match an NBA contact.

I would think as long as someone has college eligibility left, and boosters can buy him, that he could play.

Imagine seeing Jordan suit up for $100 million for UNC, LeBron at IU, etc.

The options are endless.

NIL doesn’t change the rules about playing professionally, as far as I have heard. Once you play professionally your NCAA eligibility ends.
Plus there is a ''clock'' not sure how long but once you enroll even if you drop out for a couple years the clock keeps running. It isn't the same as 4 yrs if you play straight through but there is a time limit.

Plus there is a ''clock'' not sure how long but once you enroll even if you drop out for a couple years the clock keeps running. It isn't the same as 4 yrs if you play straight through but there is a time limit.
You have 5 years to play 4 unless granted a waiver by the NCAA, usually for medical/military/religious purposes.

There was a few weeks last year where I actually debated if I wanted to try to become a sports agent. Thank god that just lasted 2 weeks. I would have shot myself if I actually quit my job and started that.
I was going to ask you if you were angling to be an agent. Kind of obvious, especially since you just typed that.

You are more transparent than than realize. Remember that when dealing with OGs in this game.

You have 5 years to play 4 unless granted a waiver by the NCAA, usually for medical/military/religious purposes.
I couldn't remember exactly . I know Weinke at FSU played baseball and then joined football team at like 22 or 23, was 26? when he won the Heisman . You can play at 40 if you never enrolled but once you start, graduation doesn't matter.

NIL doesn’t change the rules about playing professionally, as far as I have heard. Once you play professionally your NCAA eligibility ends.

but once you accept money, you are now professional.

one could argue that you aren't being paid for play, but that didn't use to be the standard, and that is only the case now when you have your fingers crossed behind your back.

the NCAA can parse their new definition of "pro", whatever that is, but how will that hold up to a well funded court challenge.

going forward, how about TJD or anyone else enters the NBA draft but doesn't get taken in the first round, so decides they want to return to college ball for another yr.

what's the NCAA going to argue in court that they shouldn't be eligible?

what if someone who no longer has an NBA gig and hasn't used up his 4 yrs eligibility, decides they want to play college ball again.

in a court challenge, what is the NCAA going to argue in court that they no longer are eligible.

NCAA is a private organization, they can define who is eligible however they like, as long as they don’t discriminate against protected classes. As long as they apply their rules consistently, a court is not going to overturn them.

NCAA is a private organization, they can define who is eligible however they like, as long as they don’t discriminate against protected classes. As long as they apply their rules consistently, a court is not going to overturn them.

private organizations are not allowed to engage in restraint of trade either to my knowledge.

and "applying their rules consistently", i would think is where NIL and paying players runs into an issue, even if the NCAA want's to claim players aren't being paid.

and in my NBA draft scenario, no one got paid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT