Exhibition vs Tennessee

Rice > X and Cupps
Sr. TG & Carlyle > Jr. TG & CJG
So. MM > Fr. MM
Jr. Reneau > So. Reneau
...but...
Ballo < Ware

Let's not forget, though, that...
Woody = Woody (and that's not exactly a positive).

• Angry
Reactions: Willdog7
The first thing I asked my dad during yesterday's game was, "Is Ballo fat?"

I'm not fat-shaming or anything (shout out to Big Baby Davis); rather, I'm simply saying he doesn't look all that agile or quick. Ballo will produce because of his size and strength (and Woody's interior-heavy offense), but I expect him to be the fourth option behind Reneau, MM, and Rice. Ware he is not.
He was never recruited to be Ware..

He was never recruited to be Ware..
That's not the point. IU landed the best big in the portal, which is fantastic. But Ware brought a dimension to IU--long-ball threat--that Ballo doesn't have. These days, you need your 4 and/or 5 to have some range. Ballo has little range, and it takes Reneau 15 minutes to get off his set shot.

• Sad
Reactions: Willdog7
That's not the point. IU landed the best big in the portal, which is fantastic. But Ware brought a dimension to IU--long-ball threat--that Ballo doesn't have. These days, you need your 4 and/or 5 to have some range. Ballo has little range, and it takes Reneau 15 minutes to get off his set shot.
Speaking of MR, how about the drive right, behind fhe back, reverse and jump hook. wow!
MR = 16.7 6.5 this season. Even with the influx of offensive talen.

He played in a system at Arizona with Tubelis whom neither were a threat from the outside. Arizona did just fine.

Speaking of MR, how about the drive right, behind fhe back, reverse and jump hook. wow!
MR = 16.7 6.5 this season. Even with the influx of offensive talen.
I think we're pretty much on the same wavelength as it relates to scoring; I'd put Reneau's ppg over/under at 17.5.

He was blocked mutiple times against the Tennessee center offense looks slow with Reneau and Balo together.
Just and FYI, Tennessee had 2 high level shot blockers. The two were playing above the rim. No need to get down on Ballo or any other Hoosier for getting their shots blocked in this game.

Reactions: T.M.P.
The first thing I asked my dad during yesterday's game was, "Is Ballo fat?"

I'm not fat-shaming or anything (shout out to Big Baby Davis); rather, I'm simply saying he doesn't look all that agile or quick. Ballo will produce because of his size and strength (and Woody's interior-heavy offense), but I expect him to be the fourth option behind Reneau, MM, and Rice. Ware he is not.
That's the beauty of it: he's going to be a double-double machine, without taking many offensive shots or opportunities from others. And, he's going to screen for others and draw double teams to free them, plus control the paint and contest shots and rebound like a man.

Ballo isn’t exactly quick or an explosive jumper… if he was he would be Shaq-like and in the league.

But he doesn’t need to be in college. He’s strong and can effectively rebound and defend, plus he has several offensive moves that work. He’ll be good for us.

Last edited:
He played in a system at Arizona with Tubelis whom neither were a threat from the outside. Arizona did just fine.
Curious...how much did Ballo play at the end of close games? I notice he shoots 56% from FT line. It would be interesting to see what his percentage is the last 5 or 3 minutes of a game.

He was not supposed to be, He is a better rebounder than WARE. He is what IU needs.
Ware had great touch around the basket, a touch that can’t be taught. His shot was so soft he often got favorable bounces on the rim. I don’t think Ballo has that same innate finesse, the intangible of touch, as if the ball was made of feather rather than leather.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT