ADVERTISEMENT

Essegian visiting IU Wednesday

get Conwell !!!!
feels to me like we're getting Carlyle and we're not getting both those guys imo. I can see Essegian and Carlyle playing together if both are willing to sacrifice some minutes for the team, but I just think Conwell and Carlyle are too good to be on the same roster. Frankly, in the end I don't think Essegian will come if we are getting Carlyle.

feels to me like we're getting Carlyle and we're not getting both those guys imo. I can see Essegian and Carlyle playing together if both are willing to sacrifice some minutes for the team, but I just think Conwell and Carlyle are too good to be on the same roster. Frankly, in the end I don't think Essegian will come if we are getting Carlyle.
Essegian will be on the bench. A lot. His defense isn’t very good.

Essegian will be on the bench. A lot. His defense isn’t very good.
That doesn't mean he doesn't want a starting spot or that someone won't give it to him. I've not watched him enough or don't remember, to comment on his D. I do think he's a better shooter than anyone on our roster, is from IN so may have wanted to wear the cream and crimson and has more offensive game than just spot up shooter. I was baffled why he didn't get more minutes this year, but you're probably right if his D is bad. I know we could use his shooting, so if he's OK coming off the bench and fighting for minutes, I'd welcome him. We just improved our help D a bunch, imo!

That doesn't mean he doesn't want a starting spot or that someone won't give it to him. I've not watched him enough or don't remember, to comment on his D. I do think he's a better shooter than anyone on our roster, is from IN so may have wanted to wear the cream and crimson and has more offensive game than just spot up shooter. I was baffled why he didn't get more minutes this year, but you're probably right if his D is bad. I know we could use his shooting, so if he's OK coming off the bench and fighting for minutes, I'd welcome him. We just improved our help D a bunch, imo!
He was hurt a lot this past year. Gard brought in a couple guys like Storr and just couldn't get in the game as he did his freshman year. Just seems like a guy that would kill us if he played 2 more years there. If we get him he may give us some 3 point pop off the bench. Maybe he'll struggle, who knows.

Something odd is going on in Wisconsin which I don't mind seeing but all kinds of guards leaving Gard

I don't like seeing transfers within the conference. Just seems like a line is being crossed. You don't end up liking where you committed, fine hit the portal and move on, but not just down the road.
just remember how big the Big 10 is now. you're excluding ALOT of options if you go that route. Just realize it's basically Free Agency for college, and you have someone like Saquan leave NY to go to Philly

Offer him 2 bucK$, 2 and half max and live with his choice. After his 2nd season results he's not nearly as attractive to big programs. Wisconsin didn't want to keep him. Besides I'll bet he prefers to be a Hoosier after a couple winters in Madison.

I wouldn't think Essegian would look at a school like IU, and expect a starting spot.

The little I know of Connor, he's a pretty stable and good kid. Him visiting implies, to me, that he knows and understands what his role would be starting out at IU.

If his defensive issues are overblown, or for whatever reason wouldn't be as big of an issue at IU, he's a no brainer. But if his defense is as bad as the perception was, not sure how much he'll help us. Hitting a couple 3s is great, but putting a bad wing defender next to Mack and Malik...well its not likely to be a NET gain.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Guard said it. He was a 36% shooter from 3 on a bad Wisconsin team. He also needed lots of help getting those shots. His percentage dropped to 30% last year so if we are being honest is he better than any of our current roster? (Certainly not Carlyle)I know some will defend him as he supposedly had a back injury but those same people will dismiss others who had injuries for an agenda. To me he is an add but he’s not a starter or first off the bench player.

Reactions: IUbball_lifer
Essegian is a role player at best. He's a shooter off the bench who can provide depth, but he's certainly not a starter or even someone who can take minutes from Galloway who will likely be the leader of the reserves next season. Essegian is a better shooter than Galloway, but he's a liability of defense and he doesn't make his teammates better. He's worth a scholarship maybe if we strike out on everyone else, but I'd rather have Brea, Conwell, or anyone else that can stay healthy and isn't a career 40% shooter even when healthy.

Essegian is a role player at best. He's a shooter off the bench who can provide depth, but he's certainly not a starter or even someone who can take minutes from Galloway who will likely be the leader of the reserves next season. Essegian is a better shooter than Galloway, but he's a liability of defense and he doesn't make his teammates better. He's worth a scholarship maybe if we strike out on everyone else, but I'd rather have Brea, Conwell, or anyone else that can stay healthy and isn't a career 40% shooter even when healthy.
Well, I would about guarantee that is the role he is being looked at for!!! I have said before, I will have positive thoughts about Conwell when there is an actual visit scheduled, until then you can not wait and be left with nothing. To an extent, the same is true with Brea, yes both are better players and shooters, but to this point, neither has decided to visit, granted we only contacted Brea a day or 2 ago, but we have been in contact with Conwell since he entered the portal, are 45 minutes away, and have not had a visit yet, to me that screams he is not interested

Reactions: Tammany Hall
I remember hearing great things about him, then not seeing it in the few games I watched. Not surprised his minutes went down.

Is he going to be a be a better shooter than Cupps? He's taller.

Don't see why we need him, unless Coach believes he's a real marksman.

I wouldn't think Essegian would look at a school like IU, and expect a starting spot.

The little I know of Connor, he's a pretty stable and good kid. Him visiting implies, to me, that he knows and understands what his role would be starting out at IU.

If his defensive issues are overblown, or for whatever reason wouldn't be as big of an issue at IU, he's a no brainer. But if his defense is as bad as the perception was, not sure how much he'll help us. Hitting a couple 3s is great, but putting a bad wing defender next to Mack and Malik...well its not likely to be a NET gain.
I would expect him to be a player like M. Kopp, but not on a par with Kopp with defense. I think he would be an old-school Indiana type player, who wants to play for IU. Not sure if he'd be satisfied with the minutes he'd see.

I would expect him to be a player like M. Kopp, but not on a par with Kopp with defense. I think he would be an old-school Indiana type player, who wants to play for IU. Not sure if he'd be satisfied with the minutes he'd see.
Kopp is probably a decent comp. I think Essegian has a little more versatility to his offensive game, probably a little quicker and bouncier. But he's smaller, and as you said, Kopp is probably a more solid defender. NET impact to a team? Probably similar. Difference here will be Essegian likely wouldn't start, and wouldn't be asked to do as much as Kopp was.

Reactions: T.M.P. and GOSHOE71
I remember hearing great things about him, then not seeing it in the few games I watched. Not surprised his minutes went down.

Is he going to be a be a better shooter than Cupps? He's taller.

Don't see why we need him, unless Coach believes he's a real marksman.
I've seen some 3's from Essegian that were from near Caitlin Clark range, so he can definitely shoot.

I've seen some 3's from Essegian that were from near Caitlin Clark range, so he can definitely shoot.
Was going to use the 'haha' smiley instead of the standard thumbs up. Comparing a man's range to a woman. But thought 'yeah, that's pretty good'.

Reactions: GOSHOE71
I could see a 3 guard lineup.

I could see a 3 guard lineup.
what? So which of Ballo, Reanu or Mbako are you thinking won't start? Will there be 3 guards on the floor at times: sure. I don't see it as being a regular occurence, but guys like Galloway, Tucker, Carlyle, Essegian and Newton give you some flexibility with their size or athleticism, but a 3 guard starting lineup, barring injury, seems highly unlikely.

what? So which of Ballo, Reanu or Mbako are you thinking won't start? Will there be 3 guards on the floor at times: sure. I don't see it as being a regular occurence, but guys like Galloway, Tucker, Carlyle, Essegian and Newton give you some flexibility with their size or athleticism, but a 3 guard starting lineup, barring injury, seems highly unlikely.
I am talking of scenarios. They could play out. Depending on fouls, poor play, needing a boost,rest for periods of time. I could see,Galloway,Rice and Caryle out there at times or Tucker,Newton and Rice.

I think we'll see it fairly regularly, unless we sign Williams or a different high level big like him.

Reneau is foul prone, and Ballo is a mid 20's mpg guy historically.

When either of them go to the bench, unless we have a really, really good 3rd big, I think we'll see guys like Mgbako and Tucker playing the "4"...and then whatever combo 1-3 makes the most sense. Rice, Carlyle, and Tucker or Galloway is a good guess.

I agree with everything you mentioned. Gotta believe Woody thinks he can gaurd if they bring him for a visit.

Reneau is foul prone
Am I misremembering or did it seem like Reanu was really only foul-prone with regularity in the last half of the season? I thought something appeared wrong with him during that time, he seemed to be dragging, slower and thus more foul prone. I can go back and look, but I'm guessing 80% of the games where he ended up with 4 or more fouls were in the 2nd half of the season. Now, it could be that he just struggled more against better comp, but I was actually pleased that he'd corrected his fouling issues in the first half of the year and then it seemed to reappear in the 2nd half to me. Am I f'd up? I'll look this weekend, unless anyone's already checked it?

Am I misremembering or did it seem like Reanu was really only foul-prone with regularity in the last half of the season? I thought something appeared wrong with him during that time, he seemed to be dragging, slower and thus more foul prone. I can go back and look, but I'm guessing 80% of the games where he ended up with 4 or more fouls were in the 2nd half of the season. Now, it could be that he just struggled more against better comp, but I was actually pleased that he'd corrected his fouling issues in the first half of the year and then it seemed to reappear in the 2nd half to me. Am I f'd up? I'll look this weekend, unless anyone's already checked it?
no you are spot on. He reverted to his frosh fouling pattern the final 10-12 games. Maybe result of that foot/leg injury? Who knows, but he was getting into foul trouble much more often in the latter half of the season.

Reactions: kkott
can someone explain what this all means. why would Larry bird know who conner is? what is the Tj'd reference and the iubb hastags, I don't understand x Instagram or none of that stuff, this is a serious question?
Because it's not Larry Bird.

When you use a hashtag, it means it can be seen by on the IUBB account. The reference to TJD reference just show that that account is following the LarryBird account, so they can see posts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT