ADVERTISEMENT

Enjoyed last nights game...a few thoughts

GLK81

Hall of Famer
Aug 30, 2001
1. The defense in the second half was what turned the tide. It seems to me when IU is playing their best defense, the offense takes it up a notch. Morgan, Anunoby, etc., can really lock down.

2. Great game by Yogi. I have been impressed by the change in him this year and I do believe he gels well with the current team. It is great to see he has worked out of his slump at hopefully the right time.

3. It is interesting IU could have a share of the title by the time they play Iowa on Tuesday. I would like to see them share by winning one of the last two (especially on Senior Night), but if it happens this weekend, I am okay with that. I am also okay with winning it outright. Catching Purdue for the highest number of Big10 Championships would be great. Can't have Purdue lead in anything....even if many of theirs were pre-1960.

4. Just a quick comment about the quality of walk-ons on this team. Niego reminds me of Luke Jimenez in the sense he is a walk-on who comes in and doesn’t hurt you…and often times makes plays. I feel his ability to provide Yogi a break for 2-3 minute stretches a couple of times a game is huge and he busts it all the time. Burton is much the same way. I never worry about him hurting IU when he is in the game, and he usually makes a hustle play or two.

5. As one who has been critical of the head coach, kudos for the accomplishments so far this year. There are so many improvements versus the last couple of years, so again, the changes are well received. To have the team prepared enough to win at Illinois by 27 minus two starters (yes I know the Illini are horrible and are missing starters as well), and with the Iowa and UM games looming, is a heck of a win. Given the way IU started the game, I was pleasantly surprised by the outcome.

6. IU needs Robert back for the Maryland game. IU will need him to counter both Trimble and Sulomon. That might be a bit much to ask of Nick or Harrison.

7. This team is similar to the 2002 team in the number of players capable of hitting threes. This team might even have more. If I remember the Kent State or Duke game, 6 players (Fife, Covey, Horny, JJ, AJ, Odle) hit threes…but this year I believe IU has had more in one game (perhaps 7)? There isn’t a player on the roster that can’t shoot the 3 ball including two of the walkons.

Fun times and looking forward to this weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News