ADVERTISEMENT

EMU-IU Game 2: IU up 1-0 batting in the B2nd with a man on and one out**

IU up 4-0 after Wilhite hit a 3-run HR. EMU batting T3**

EMU had the bases loaded with one out, but IU managed to get out...

of it with no damage. IU batting in the B3rd still up 4-0.

EMU batting T5th with one out and no one on. IU still up 4-0**

IU extends their lead to 6-0. EMU batting T6th, a man on 2nd, one out**

EMU scores unearned run. IU up 6-1 batting B6th, man on, one out**

Rodrigue just hit a 2-run HR, IU up 8-1, still batting B7th**

IU gets another run and is up 9-1. EMU batting T9th**

IU wins 9-1 as Halstead closes it out. IU improves to 10-4.**

Story link with boxscore and video

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- In front of 2,243 crimson-clad fans on a gorgeous 60-degree day at Bart Kaufman Field, Indiana won its seventh consecutive game, 9-1, vs. Eastern Michigan on Wednesday.

The Hoosiers, who hit 10 times for the ninth time in their last 10 games, never left this one in question. Indiana opened up a 4-0 lead through two innings and led 6-0 before Eastern Michigan scored its lone run in the top of the sixth.

Junior LHP Kyle Hart made his return from Tommy John surgery, starting on the mound and tossing two scoreless innings with a pair of strikeouts.

"I felt good," Hart said. "Once I threw a couple pitches over the plate and heard the umpire call a strike, it was like nothing ever changed. I'm not naiive. I know there is a lot of work to be done still. I know the next month, two months, are not only going to be big for me but for this team."

Junior RHP Evan Bell (1-1) earned the win, pitching four innings while giving up just one run on four hits to go with two Ks.

Brian Wilhite hit his first career home run, a 3-run shot in the second inning, and Casey Rodrigue smashed a 2-run home run to right field, his third of 2015, in the seventh inning.

Rodrigue, Wilhite and Craig Dedelow each had two hits to lead Indiana.

Senior Brad Hartong had a season-high and team-best three RBI, including two on a single in the fifth inning to give IU a 6-0 lead.

Indiana is 2-0 at Bart Kaufman Field in 2015 with four more games in front of the home fans before heading to Penn State to open Big Ten play. Since the facility opened in 2013, the Hoosiers are 41-8 (.837).

"It's very important," Rodrigue said of playing at home. "You always want to play well in front of your home fans. They deserve it to see us play hard every day. We're very excited to play Cal State Fullerton this weekend."

UP NEXT
Indiana will host No. 12 Cal State Fullerton, which swept then-No. 5 Texas Tech last weekend, on Friday-Sunday, March 13-15, at Bart Kaufman Field. Friday's first pitch is set for 4:35 p.m. ET, while Saturday will get underway at 2:05 p.m. and Sunday's finale will begin at 1:05 p.m.

Tickets are available and can be purchased by clicking here or calling 1-866-IUSPORTS.

GAME NOTES
••• Indiana won its seventh consecutive game on Tuesday, the seventh time since 2013 that IU has had a winning streak of seven games or more.

••• The Hoosiers are 2-0 through two games at Bart Kaufman Field, improving their overall record at the facility to 41-8 (.837).

••• Eleven of Indiana's 14 games have been decided by three runs or less. The other three have been wins of eight runs or more for the Hoosiers.

••• Indiana is 9-1 this season when scoring four or more runs.

••• Indiana is 3-0 when it scores in the first inning.

••• Junior LHP Kyle Hart started for Indiana, marking his return from Tommy John surgery in 2014. Hart pitched two scoreless innings and tossed a pair of strikeouts.

••• Junior RHP Evan Bell earned his first win of the season and fourth of his career. Bell pitched four innings, allowing just one run, while tossing two strikeouts.

••• Indiana recorded 10 hits vs. EMU in each midweek game. IU has 10 or more hits in nine of its last 10 outings.

••• Senior IF Casey Rodrigue had his fourth multi-RBI game of the season with two and has a team-high 15 in 2015.

••• Rodrigue's three runs scored matched the most by a Hoosier this season. Will Nolden also had three at the College of Charleston on Feb. 28.

••• Junior IF Brian Wilhite hit his first career home run in the second inning.

Go Hoosiers!

per Varsity Club

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT