ADVERTISEMENT

Duquesne Hires Personal Brand Coach -Good or Bad

Klaus 7196

Recruit
Oct 12, 2018
Duquesne University recently hired a Personal Brand Coach. I could see this quickly duplicated at all D1 schools. Rich schools like OSU, PSU, UM, etc hiring not just one such coach but a staff not unlike their recruiting staffs. Marketing Departments just for the athletes. A regular stat on ESPN will be "NIL Dollars Per Year, with Top $$ Rankings per year, not unlike what you see for recruiting and Rivals or Scout.
A serious danger to the competitive balance or "nothingburger?"

It is going to be a competitive balance issue. Let's face it, opportunities for money are going to be less in a Bloomington than a Los Angeles. But the ship has sailed and it does no good to yell about it. Everyone is going to have to jump on board.

It is going to be a competitive balance issue. Let's face it, opportunities for money are going to be less in a Bloomington than a Los Angeles. But the ship has sailed and it does no good to yell about it. Everyone is going to have to jump on board.
It's an interesting topic. NIL is part of a few other changes too. the ncaa always had strange rules on self-employment too. so you could work a camp for your program/university and be paid; or you could work as a counselor at a private camp, but you couldn't start a camp and use your place on the college team to promote it. so in left-handed sports you had to survive on not much dough. in men's d1 soccer there are only 9.9 schollys. 4 go to foreign studs and a shit ton of guys split 5.9. now these kids can use their name in the community to get their own camps and/or private training to tap into the thousands of little kids that show up at the games to earn some extra money.

this change helps all sports. i still hate the NCAA

Given you can't let someone have any competitive advantage, I'm guessing most colleges will follow the leader.

It's an interesting topic. NIL is part of a few other changes too. the ncaa always had strange rules on self-employment too. so you could work a camp for your program/university and be paid; or you could work as a counselor at a private camp, but you couldn't start a camp and use your place on the college team to promote it. so in left-handed sports you had to survive on not much dough. in men's d1 soccer there are only 9.9 schollys. 4 go to foreign studs and a shit ton of guys split 5.9. now these kids can use their name in the community to get their own camps and/or private training to tap into the thousands of little kids that show up at the games to earn some extra money.

this change helps all sports. i still hate the NCAA

I don't think anyone is going to come to the NCAA's defense on anything. But the case involved tends to have people jumping to quick conclusions and mostly based on "that's not how we used to do it". The way we used to do it was wrong. Either get rid of the big money and go the club sports model, or let the kids have NIL. But don't pay administrator's, coaches, and the NCAA bureaucracy big money and tell these kids they are amateurs and can't make any money.

I don't think anyone is going to come to the NCAA's defense on anything. But the case involved tends to have people jumping to quick conclusions and mostly based on "that's not how we used to do it". The way we used to do it was wrong. Either get rid of the big money and go the club sports model, or let the kids have NIL. But don't pay administrator's, coaches, and the NCAA bureaucracy big money and tell these kids they are amateurs and can't make any money.
Absolutely

I actually think a high profile basketball player at IU will have a much easier time finding opportunities than his counterpart at UCLA or USC. Between pro sports and celebrities, there's too much competition.

There will most definitely be more opportunities in LA, but I think a little bit of the big fish, small pond effect will come into play for IU basketball players. Especially if they're good. Just think how much Alford, Bailey or Cheaney could have cashed in.

Last edited:
I don’t think you truly understand what this is about. I guarantee you that IU will have something similar in place by Fall. Others already do, just not with official titles.
I have a vague recollection of Fred Glass weighing in on this pre-Covid, talking about how they were laying the groundwork for assisting the student athletes in this area and helping to maximize their return on any NIL revenue.

Or I could have just dreamt it.

I don’t think you truly understand what this is about. I guarantee you that IU will have something similar in place by Fall. Others already do, just not with official titles.
I agree. It'll be interesting to see which programs are the most aggressive. Those with large booster clubs would be in early and heavy. Schools with the highest "payout per player" will have a huge advantage over their rivals.

I actually think a high profile basketball player at IU will have a much easier time finding opportunities than his counterpart at UCLA or USC. Between pro sports and celebrities, there's too much competition.

There will most definitely be more opportunities in LA, but I think a little bit of the big fish, small pond effect will come into play for IU basketball players. Especially if they're good. Just think how much Alford, Bailey or Cheaney could have cashed in.
Online, particularly social media, will be the most lucrative for those who figure out how to monetize their content or translate followers into some other monetary gain. Nobody is going to get wealthy doing ads or appearances for Herb’s Honda or Smokey’s BBQ Shack, even in Tuscaloosa.

Online, particularly social media, will be the most lucrative for those who figure out how to monetize their content or translate followers into some other monetary gain. Nobody is going to get wealthy doing ads or appearances for Herb’s Honda or Smokey’s BBQ Shack, even in Tuscaloosa.
Instagram ads

I agree. It'll be interesting to see which programs are the most aggressive. Those with large booster clubs would be in early and heavy. Schools with the highest "payout per player" will have a huge advantage over their rivals.
Schools and boosters are not going to be permitted to simply slip wads of cash into the pockets of players. That’s not how NIL will work.

wrong, if someone was willing to pay 10 million to get rid of a coach they could easily pay the top 5 or 6 players a million a year to rep their company.

wrong, if someone was willing to pay 10 million to get rid of a coach they could easily pay the top 5 or 6 players a million a year to rep their company.
Um no. Absolutely not going to happen. Not going to work that way at all.

Um no. Absolutely not going to happen.
you don't think a uk booster wouldn't be willing to pay that type of money, or sec football , sit back and watch the pros might be a pay cut for some players . what would zion williamson bidding war look like?

Schools and boosters are not going to be permitted to simply slip wads of cash into the pockets of players. That’s not how NIL will work.

Um no. Absolutely not going to happen. Not going to work that way at all.

So how is this going to work, exactly? What prevents Andy Mohr from paying some 5 star recruit $100K to sign autographs?

So how is this going to work, exactly? What prevents Andy Mohr from paying some 5 star recruit $100K to sign autographs?
right, once the genie is out of the bottle the money is going to be big. you going to tell a kid he can only make so much??

It’s not entirely clear yet how it will be done but it will be regulated. It’s almost a certainty that Congress and the NCAA will reach a compromise. The NCAA wants to exert a lot of control over how NIL will work, but their vision is a pipe dream. But Congress also understands that it can’t be a free for all, with each state trying to one up another. No one seriously involved thinks that boosters should have unfettered reign to pay athletes. But the NCAA is pretending like they have all the control (although they still have quite a bit, especially with respect to boosters). I also know firsthand that schools are out in front on this, although it’s a bit frustrating not knowing with certainty what the parameters will be. (Trying not to be too cryptic here, but I’ve got a small modicum of involvement.)

It’s not entirely clear yet how it will be done but it will be regulated. It’s almost a certainty that Congress and the NCAA will reach a compromise. The NCAA wants to exert a lot of control over how NIL will work, but their vision is a pipe dream. But Congress also understands that it can’t be a free for all, with each state trying to one up another. No one seriously involved thinks that boosters should have unfettered reign to pay athletes. But the NCAA is pretending like they have all the control (although they still have quite a bit, especially with respect to boosters). I also know firsthand that schools are out in front on this, although it’s a bit frustrating not knowing with certainty what the parameters will be. (Trying not to be too cryptic here, but I’ve got a small modicum of involvement.)
It will be pretty much impossible to enforce. As Reggie Bush showed, even the solid black and white lines are impossible. Once a current Reggie Bush has a podcast, it will be impossible to know exactly where money is flowing from.

Here’s an excellent update on where things currently stand and why what Duquesne is doing is important and not unique.

I agree. There are already people who make a living off blogging/vlogging, and I'd think that a major DI athlete would very easily get the number of followers to bring in a high level of advertising dollars just by having an Instagram/Facebook/YouTube account. I bet people would support them through Patreon too.

Surely everyone here can agree that as long as the NCAA (NIL) is as transparent and wholesome as the US federal government, we should be ok.... Right?

Maybe these NCAA division havn't been advertised yet.

NCAA- CIA = Clandestine influencing Apparatus
NCAA - FBI = Financially Benefactor Influenced

First, I want to applaud the guy who got the Job. He must be a marketing genius to have convinced the Athletic Department to hire him in this Capacity. If this doesn't work out look for Him to end up on the faculty in the Women's Studies Department where He can do something less valuable and be paid for it.

Maybe a bigger question is Who should bear the cost of this activity. The reality is there are only so many athletes who can claim to be a "Brand" because they are Universally recognized by the fan base and general population and generating revenue. I remember when you went to a football game and almost every young fan wore an Antwan Randle-EL replica jersey. Same with Damon Bailey. Maybe the Athlete or his Parents should hire a Marketing Director/Agent if their Kid is good enough to generate that kind of Revenue.

I remember when you went to a football game and almost every young fan wore an Antwan Randle-EL replica jersey. Same with Damon Bailey. Maybe the Athlete or his Parents should hire a Marketing Director/Agent if their Kid is good enough to generate that kind of Revenue.
That will be happening, no question.

First, I want to applaud the guy who got the Job. He must be a marketing genius to have convinced the Athletic Department to hire him in this Capacity. If this doesn't work out look for Him to end up on the faculty in the Women's Studies Department where He can do something less valuable and be paid for it.

Maybe a bigger question is Who should bear the cost of this activity. The reality is there are only so many athletes who can claim to be a "Brand" because they are Universally recognized by the fan base and general population and generating revenue. I remember when you went to a football game and almost every young fan wore an Antwan Randle-EL replica jersey. Same with Damon Bailey. Maybe the Athlete or his Parents should hire a Marketing Director/Agent if their Kid is good enough to generate that kind of Revenue.
Every major school is doing the very same thing.

IU ran afoul of current rules 3 times.

A men's basketball player put some music on apple with some artwork of him in uniform. It was dedicated to a deceased relative, and a strength and conditioning coach posted it on social media. The NCAA made the coach take down the post and do education on the rules.

A football player linked an ad for a company, no compensation.

3 volleyball players linked a discount code to a company, no compensation.

The HT article said all three were self reported and will be legal under the new arrangement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT