ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone know what's in the Rubella vaccine?

DrHoops

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 7, 2001
It's fascinating to see the Right Wing freakout over the COVID vaccine, given the State of Indiana mandates all kids in public school are vaccinated for Mumps, Measles, Rubella, Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Polio, Diphtheria, Pertussis, Tetanus, and MCV4. It recommends HPV and flu shots as well.

I'm surprised there aren't people storming school board meetings while this solidly Republican state mandates putting these mysterious chemicals into children. It's baffling that with all the death and destruction that COVID is doing to our country that people are against taking 15 minutes to go to CVS and get an proven, safe, vaccine.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
It's fascinating to see the Right Wing freakout over the COVID vaccine, given the State of Indiana mandates all kids in public school are vaccinated for Mumps, Measles, Rubella, Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Polio, Diphtheria, Pertussis, Tetanus, and MCV4. It recommends HPV and flu shots as well.

I'm surprised there aren't people storming school board meetings while this solidly Republican state mandates putting these mysterious chemicals into children. It's baffling that with all the death and destruction that COVID is doing to our country that people are against taking 15 minutes to go to CVS and get an proven, safe, vaccine.
They don't know what's in an IPA or PBR either, but plenty of them put IPAs and PBRs in their bodies all the time (even without a mandate).

Vaccine refusal is political, not medical.

They don't know what's in an IPA or PBR either, but plenty of them put IPAs and PBRs in their bodies all the time (even without a mandate).

It's sad.

In part. But that's not the only group. And remember icu beds are the measure. So while the black pop is smaller they are 3x as likely to be hospitalized. That means people of color not being vaccinated is punching far above their population weight. It's not all political despite how desperately you want it to be. Cam Newton is still refusing. How many kids and young people look up to him.

The politics talk as all encompassing is more partisan bullshit.

The reality is many groups aren't getting vaccinated. Some more prone to hospitalization than others. Those most prone to icu beds should be our focus. But that doesn't comport with political partisanship and small minds.

So let's mandate where federalism allows and make it a condition of employment where it makes sense and stop the political bullshit. But that's hoping against hope if this board is a microcosm of the public

Last edited:

Great comparison. The decades of experience with most of the others isn’t a factor at all…🙄🙄🙄. What are population percentages on flu & HPV vax?

In part. But that's not the only group. And remember icu beds are the measure. So while the black pop is smaller they are 3x as likely to be hospitalized. That means people of color not being vaccinated is punching far above their population weight. It's not all political despite how desperately you want it to be. Cam Newton is still refusing. How many kids and young people look up to him.

The reality is many groups aren't getting vaccinated. Some more prone to hospitalization than others.

I can see your point that vaccine refusal may not be entirely for political reasons, but it certainly isn't for medical reasons. The article you linked identifies several reasons given for refusing vaccine and none of them are based on medicine. Claiming to have read something on the internet to the effect that the vaccines are not safe (like the article describes) is not a "medical" reason.

I can see your point that vaccine refusal may not be entirely for political reasons, but it certainly isn't for medical reasons. The article you linked identifies several reasons given for refusing vaccine and none of them are based on medicine. Claiming to have read something on the internet to the effect that the vaccines are not safe (like the article describes) is not a "medical" reason.
So what. Whether it's Tuskegee, torts, FB, granola, or maga is immaterial. As Coh said the attacking is of no use. The shaming is of no use. Being selective in blaming that group your team tells you to hate is of no use. There's plenty of blame to go around. Hell let's blame people most likely to take up icu beds. That's the real measure. Fatties, native Americans, aged, blacks, smokers - those ****ers.

None of it matters other than to sate feelings of disdain for certain groups. Sad way to live.

Better to encourage people. Give incentives. Issue mandates congruent with federalism and conditions of employment.

And work on expanding care.

And get on with it.

Unfortunately the guy leading the country isn't much of a thinker. Neither was the last guy. So I trust we'll continue to fumble our way through this letting partisan political angst be our guide

Last edited:
Great comparison. The decades of experience with most of the others isn’t a factor at all…🙄🙄🙄. What are population percentages on flu & HPV vax?
Yeah, 350,000,000 doses have been given in the US. There is no proof anyone has died from it. On the other hand, 670,000 people in the US have died from COVID.

You're part of the problem. Do I go with what jet812 says from what he read on Facebook, or do I go with Johns Hopkins?

Last edited:
Do your own research if you want to make a point.

You don't think medical science and technology has improved since late 1700's when the smallpox vaccine was created? Okay... :rolleyes:

Do your own research if you want to make a point.

You don't think medical science and technology has improved since late 1700's when the smallpox vaccine was created? Okay... :rolleyes:
Do your own research on deaths due to medical error & pharmaceuticals each year. My wife, who is now an IT analyst at our hospital spent many years in a clinical job. Doctors & medical researchers have made much progress, but are far from bulletproof or beyond reproach.

You kidding, they don't even know what's really in their happy meal but it doesn't stop them from going there ;)

Reactions: Ohio Guy

Most people don't know what a good portion of the ingredients are in the food they buy from the grocery or at fast food joints. A lot of that stuff is literally driving up their risk of serious illness or death, but they keep shoving that down their throats.

Most people don't know what a good portion of the ingredients are in the food they buy from the grocery or at fast food joints. A lot of that stuff is literally driving up their risk of serious illness or death, but they keep shoving that down their throats.
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

You kidding, they don't even know what's really in their happy meal but it doesn't stop them from going there ;)
There's a mental freak out by application, which I kindof get but is illogical fear.

Ingesting something doesn't freak people out as much as injecting....even though they accomplish the same thing.

But the visual of injection seems more dangerous.

If the vaccine came in a pill form, I'm guessing our rates would increase by a decent amount.

There's a mental freak out by application, which I kindof get but is illogical fear.

Ingesting something doesn't freak people out as much as injecting....even though they accomplish the same thing.

But the visual of injection seems more dangerous.

If the vaccine came in a pill form, I'm guessing our rates would increase by a decent amount.
Interesting take. And the novelty of these vax; and comparing food to medicine is silly etc. that said your post is really interesting. I bet it's true. I read/saw can't remember the deleterious impact of the availability of hardcore drugs in more user friendly forms. Big difference between cooking/injecting and taking a pill

But they are not mRNA vaccines and most of the people I know that won't get vaccinated do not trust it because of that and the fact that they think it was rushed through the approval process.

Reactions: DANC
Interesting take. And the novelty of these vax; and comparing food to medicine is silly etc. that said your post is really interesting. I bet it's true. I read/saw can't remember the deleterious impact of the availability of hardcore drugs in more user friendly forms. Big difference between cooking/injecting and taking a pill
And that's interesting in regards to dangerous drugs in a pill form, like heroin.

Personally the thought of self tourniquet with dirty needles freaks the hell out of me (not that I'm an experienced drug user, pot is the hardest recreational drug I've done) but I would never, ever do heroin because of the application process.

If it was in a pill....that doesn't freak me out as much.

I'm guessing because 'taking pills' has been normalized.

And that's interesting in regards to dangerous drugs in a pill form, like heroin.

Personally the thought of self tourniquet with dirty needles freaks the hell out of me (not that I'm an experienced drug user, pot is the hardest recreational drug I've done) but I would never, ever do heroin because of the application process.

If it was in a pill....that doesn't freak me out as much.

I'm guessing because 'taking pills' has been normalized.
Same!

But they are not mRNA vaccines and most of the people I know that won't get vaccinated do not trust it because of that and the fact that they think it was rushed through the approval process.
I doubt that many know anything about mRNA other than what they've heard from Fox or Facebook

Reactions: cosmickid

The reality is many groups aren't getting vaccinated. Some more prone to hospitalization than others. Those most prone to icu beds should be our focus. But that doesn't comport with political partisanship and small minds.

So let's mandate where federalism allows and make it a condition of employment where it makes sense and stop the political bullshit. But that's hoping against hope if this board is a microcosm of the public

MM66, appreciate your link as to why Blacks and Hispanics aren't being vaccinated in rates as high as say Whites.

In my view (and your link supports my thinking to a degree) Blacks and Hispanics are being vaccinated at lower percentages due to, (1) Distrust of the medical system and government, and (2) Role of misinformation upon people such as Blacks and Hispanics who exhibit higher levels of mistrust in institutions.

MM66,, Even though politics may not play as important a role as the items above in the case of Blacks and Hispanics, I don't agree with you conclusion as follows as it applies to a good many Whites,

It may not be all encompassing, but it sure plays a big role in lots of places and with plenty of people.

MM66, appreciate your link as to why Blacks and Hispanics aren't being vaccinated in rates as high as say Whites.

In my view (and your link supports my thinking to a degree) Blacks and Hispanics are being vaccinated at lower percentages due to, (1) Distrust of the medical system and government, and (2) Role of misinformation upon people such as Blacks and Hispanics who exhibit higher levels of mistrust in institutions.

MM66,, Even though politics may not play as important a role as the items above in the case of Blacks and Hispanics, I don't agree with you conclusion as follows as it applies to a good many Whites,

It may not be all encompassing, but it sure plays a big role in lots of places and with plenty of people.
Availability and convenience are also issues in the black pop. Hoot there is of course a political element too with whites in the redneck rebellion. Spreadnecks.

Blacks/minorities are impt bc of their greater likelihood to require hospitalization.

Do you raise and grow your own food?

Reactions: jet812
Sounds like they have reading comprehension issues or maybe they’re just dumb for lack of a better way to say it. Ask them what mRNA means and get back to us.

I doubt that many know anything about mRNA other than what they've heard from Fox or Facebook
You do?

Put it in a Tide pod?? 🤔

I do too... but they know that it's something new and that is all that matters to them.

Shooter's done a good job of posting about "mRNA for Dummies" on more than one occasion. As a result, yes, I do have a decent layman's understanding of how the mRNA vaccines work.
My wife is a microbiologist and worked with DNA a lot so she knows a lot about such things.

Have you thought of asking them why they don't just get the non-mRNA vaccine that's widely available instead?

Have you thought of asking them why they don't just get the non-mRNA vaccine that's widely available instead?
LOL.

The Johnson & Johnson uses fetal line cells, doesn't it? Pretty sure Boebert or MTG or one of those nuts said it was made with baby parts.

LOL.

The Johnson & Johnson uses fetal line cells, doesn't it? Pretty sure Boebert or MTG or one of those nuts said it was made with baby parts.
So, your contention is that they've thought this out that far...and don't get the chickenpox, rubella, or HepA vaccine either? Part 1 of that question may almost be as far-fetched as part 2. 🤷‍♂️

LOL.

i wouldn't trust a single thing coming from j & j. supreme court just kicked out their appeal on a 2.2. billion dollar judgment. damn near every year they have something recalled. they've been named in more than 100,000 lawsuits. but hey make 80 bil a year and pay out 3 bil a year in deaths you've got a hell of a business. my hope is this is almost a quasi gov initiative and their transparency and objectives are beyond that of shareholders.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1
If you have little faith in government and pharmaceuticals why we would you believe that Warp Speed with the help of rent seekers (COH's favorite economic theory) has produced a vaccine which solves anything except feed money to big pharma at the expense of the public good?

Just asking.

Reactions: hoosboot
If you have little faith in government and pharmaceuticals why we would you believe that Warp Speed with the help of rent seekers (COH's favorite economic theory) has produced a vaccine which solves anything except feed money to big pharma at the expense of the public good?

Just asking.
because now we have the benefit of knowing that hundreds of millions have been vaccinated and are still alive, etc. and the results are verifiable. and one would hope in this situation shareholders aren't the only group they feel responsible/beholden to.

as to long term impact all we can do is have faith. better than the alternative of not getting vaccinated. That's for certain at this point

Last edited:
So you're not sure exactly what you are consuming...got it
You're missing the point here, but I'll humor you.

Again, I'm not an anti-vaxxer. I'm not wailing and whining about not trusting food and drug experts' approval of a lifesaving vaccine during a pandemic while shoving food in my face that will without a doubt increase the likelihood that I'll become obese, develop type 2 diabetes, heart disease, certain cancers and hypertension.

In other words, I don't rely on flimsy logic to make a ridiculous political stand on vaccinations.

i wouldn't trust a single thing coming from j & j. supreme court just kicked out their appeal on a 2.2. billion dollar judgment. damn near every year they have something recalled. they've been named in more than 100,000 lawsuits. but hey make 80 bil a year and pay out 3 bil a year in deaths you've got a hell of a business. my hope is this is almost a quasi gov initiative and their transparency and objectives are beyond that of shareholders.

I got the j&j one shot.
Are you saying that I got the worst one? :(

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT