ADVERTISEMENT

Dikembe Mutombo

He was only 58. Died of brain cancer.

58 is way too young, but initially I was surprised that he was that old. It doesn't feel like it was THAT long ago he was playing in the NBA. I looked it up - his last season was 2009. That also seems like a long time ago and not that long ago at the same time.

58 is way too young, but initially I was surprised that he was that old. It doesn't feel like it was THAT long ago he was playing in the NBA. I looked it up - his last season was 2009. That also seems like a long time ago and not that long ago at the same time.
That means he was 43 and still in the NBA. That seems peculiar. Are we sure he wasn't just an expiring contract for some of those years?

That means he was 43 and still in the NBA. That seems peculiar. Are we sure he wasn't just an expiring contract for some of those years?
I looked it up. He played in 9 games as a 42 year old, and 75 games (!) as a 40 year old with the 53 win Rockets in 2006-7. That is remarkable.

Teammates that year in Houston: Yao Ming, Tracy McGrady, Luther Head, Juwan Howard, Steve Novak, and Bonzi Wells. BONZI WELLS!

I remember him grabbing the ball at the end and squeezing it after the 8 seed nuggests upset the 1 seed Sonics one year.. Dude would give you 12pts/13rebs and 6 blocks and lord knows how many altered shots he caused. Plus the no no wave.

Reactions: kkott
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT