ADVERTISEMENT

Depth question

Jfats

Junior
Dec 13, 2008
So X and JHS are two high quality ball handlers/guards/facilitators. If one gets injured, is Gallo the next up? While obvious we’ve shown we can go with either X or JHS on the floor individually during a game, but having just one available (who would likely have to play conservatively or risk foul trouble) is a concern.

from what I've seen, Reneau would want to move into that other guard spot. He loves bringing that ball up. Hopefully he learned a lesson last night when he got picked at half court.

I would think Bates/Trey. With either X/JHS doing most of the up-court ball handling. Remember, we're playing "positionless" basketball now.

Having 2 PGs who can also score, on the court at the same time, is a luxury few teams have.

Reactions: Crayfish57
He and/or Bates...

The nice thing is, neither X or JHS seem to have the role of "THE" PG. Both handle the duties, and it seems to be working well so far that way. If one were to be the main PG, and that one went down, it becomes harder to replace them. As it stands, if JHS or X goes out for injury/foul trouble, replacing them with Gallo and/or Bates should be much easier.

So far, its been incredibly rare that both JHS and X are out. The first game X played point with the "2nd Unit", last night JHS did. That seemed interesting to me. I'm sure Woody's playing around with little things like that though.
I still hope he doesn't use a full "2nd Unit" approach against our really good opponents though. How nasty does a lineup of JHS, X, Jordan, Race, and TJD sound...depending on the makeup of the other team. I think ahead to teams like Michigan, Illinois, Purdue, maybe UNC even? And if we need to really, really, lock down defensively, and their "3" man isn't short and quick, that lineup I mentioned could decide some games for us.

Very well could be a great line up vs specific matchups. But I hesitate to take a guy out who was 4-6 from trey land. The rest of the team was 6-18. MK should be playing with high confidence as we move forward.

Reactions: Crayfish57
He and/or Bates...

The nice thing is, neither X or JHS seem to have the role of "THE" PG. Both handle the duties, and it seems to be working well so far that way. If one were to be the main PG, and that one went down, it becomes harder to replace them. As it stands, if JHS or X goes out for injury/foul trouble, replacing them with Gallo and/or Bates should be much easier.

So far, its been incredibly rare that both JHS and X are out. The first game X played point with the "2nd Unit", last night JHS did. That seemed interesting to me. I'm sure Woody's playing around with little things like that though.
I still hope he doesn't use a full "2nd Unit" approach against our really good opponents though. How nasty does a lineup of JHS, X, Jordan, Race, and TJD sound...depending on the makeup of the other team. I think ahead to teams like Michigan, Illinois, Purdue, maybe UNC even? And if we need to really, really, lock down defensively, and their "3" man isn't short and quick, that lineup I mentioned could decide some games for us.

Im not too concerned about IU using its full second unit. As of right now, I see this team having one dominating talent in TJD, one on the cusp of being a dominant player with JHS, and 7 other almost interchangeable players.

so in some respects, the first unit is whoever is playing with TJD, and the second unit is whoever is playing when TJD is on the bench.

Reactions: go_iu
How nasty does a lineup of JHS, X, Jordan, Race, and TJD sound...depending on the makeup of the other team. I think ahead to teams like Michigan, Illinois, Purdue, maybe UNC even? And if we need to really, really, lock down defensively, and their "3" man isn't short and quick, that lineup I mentioned could decide some games for us.
That's last year's 'guts/crunchtime' line-up with JHS in for Phinisee and Geronimo in for Galloway. Strong odds that the five you mentioned and Galloway are going to represent this year's version of same. What's not to like?

That's last year's 'guts/crunchtime' line-up with JHS in for Phinisee and Geronimo in for Galloway. Strong odds that the five you mentioned and Galloway are going to represent this year's version of same. What's not to like?
I like it. Especially if Jordan can knock down open shots.

X, JHS, and Jordan defensively...could become dominant.

Its just 2 games, but he showed quite a lot of improvement defensively. And he guarded some smaller/quicker guys the first 2 games at times! If Jordan does, in fact, now have the ability to guard perimeter players...he'll be in the process of placing himself squarely on NBA GM's draft boards.

Athletic 3 and D wings are one of the most sought after types of players any more by NBA GMs.

Having 2 PGs who can also score, on the court at the same time, is a luxury few teams have.
Baylor runs with three, Kansas two at times, UNC runs with two. Plus many others .

Using 2 pt or combo guards became a thing about a decade ago.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT