ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive Line and Lagow Reach New Points of Spring Practice

snowling

Hall of Famer
By: Ben Segelbaum
IUHoosiers.com

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – In its second spring practice after spring break and sixth overall, Indiana football's defensive line and fifth-year senior quarterback Richard Lagow take a look at where the team stands.

Defensive Line "Taking game to new level"

"It's been super competitive," junior defensive lineman Jacob Robinson said. "Everyone's going into these spring practices with nothing set. We have new guys that have to step up that haven't played and guys returning who have played. Our group as a whole with Coach Hagen, it's c

Joining Robinson on the front line is senior Greg Gooch . Between Robinson and Gooch, they tallied 44 tackles, two sacks and 8.5 for loss last season.

"I'm working on my technique, getting my fundamentals correct," Gooch said. "Just working on little stuff like that. As a defensive end, there's not a lot of things I have to worry about besides getting off the ball."

The competitive nature and strive for improvement has appreciation from second-year assistant defensive coordinator and defensive line coach Mark Hagen .

"They've taken their game to another level," Hagen said. "Both guys were in new situations last year. Greg Gooch moving to defensive end from the linebacker position. Jacob Robinson playing more of a tackle spot for us from his end position. Both guys have grown, they continue to grow. But on top of that, you see the leadership piece. You lose a Patrick Dougherty , Ralph Green, guys who have been around for a while, you are missing that leadership and those guys are stepping up into those roles."

Lagow Goes to Passing Camp

Lagow took advantage of his spring break and went to George Whitfield's quarterback academy. Whitfield has trained the likes of Andrew Luck, Jameis Winston, Braxton Miller and E.J. Manuel.

"I went out there to San Diego with George (Whitfield)," Lagow said. "I was around some great quarterbacks. It was fun to go out and compete with them, and spend my spring break getting closer to our ultimate goal. It was a big step for me. Personally, I still have a lot of work to do."

At the camp, Lagow got a chance to hear from different people and get opinions on his game.

"I really think the biggest thing for me was being around other quarterbacks that have been in the position I'm in, and some that were in the position I was in the fall," Lagow said. "Being around them and being able to pick their brain about certain situations and experiences, not a lot people on earth can share similar experiences than a quarterback. It was cool to have another opinion from those guys."

Now back at school, Lagow brings what he learned to practice and that includes learning new material from quarterbacks coach Nick Sheridan .

"We have a new scheme in right now, so just continuing to get that in my DNA," Lagow said. "I have to have it down. We have a lot of receivers coming back so I have pretty good timing with a few of them. Some new guys are going to step up, which will be great. I am working on the chemistry right now."

Videos within:
iuhoosiers.com/news/2017/3/23/football-defensive-line-and-lagow-reach-new-points-of-spring-practice.aspx

Go Hoosiers!

By: Ben Segelbaum
IUHoosiers.com

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – In its second spring practice after spring break and sixth overall, Indiana football's defensive line and fifth-year senior quarterback Richard Lagow take a look at where the team stands.

Defensive Line "Taking game to new level"

"It's been super competitive," junior defensive lineman Jacob Robinson said. "Everyone's going into these spring practices with nothing set. We have new guys that have to step up that haven't played and guys returning who have played. Our group as a whole with Coach Hagen, it's c

Joining Robinson on the front line is senior Greg Gooch . Between Robinson and Gooch, they tallied 44 tackles, two sacks and 8.5 for loss last season.

"I'm working on my technique, getting my fundamentals correct," Gooch said. "Just working on little stuff like that. As a defensive end, there's not a lot of things I have to worry about besides getting off the ball."

The competitive nature and strive for improvement has appreciation from second-year assistant defensive coordinator and defensive line coach Mark Hagen .

"They've taken their game to another level," Hagen said. "Both guys were in new situations last year. Greg Gooch moving to defensive end from the linebacker position. Jacob Robinson playing more of a tackle spot for us from his end position. Both guys have grown, they continue to grow. But on top of that, you see the leadership piece. You lose a Patrick Dougherty , Ralph Green, guys who have been around for a while, you are missing that leadership and those guys are stepping up into those roles."

Lagow Goes to Passing Camp

Lagow took advantage of his spring break and went to George Whitfield's quarterback academy. Whitfield has trained the likes of Andrew Luck, Jameis Winston, Braxton Miller and E.J. Manuel.

"I went out there to San Diego with George (Whitfield)," Lagow said. "I was around some great quarterbacks. It was fun to go out and compete with them, and spend my spring break getting closer to our ultimate goal. It was a big step for me. Personally, I still have a lot of work to do."

At the camp, Lagow got a chance to hear from different people and get opinions on his game.

"I really think the biggest thing for me was being around other quarterbacks that have been in the position I'm in, and some that were in the position I was in the fall," Lagow said. "Being around them and being able to pick their brain about certain situations and experiences, not a lot people on earth can share similar experiences than a quarterback. It was cool to have another opinion from those guys."

Now back at school, Lagow brings what he learned to practice and that includes learning new material from quarterbacks coach Nick Sheridan .

"We have a new scheme in right now, so just continuing to get that in my DNA," Lagow said. "I have to have it down. We have a lot of receivers coming back so I have pretty good timing with a few of them. Some new guys are going to step up, which will be great. I am working on the chemistry right now."

Videos within:
iuhoosiers.com/news/2017/3/23/football-defensive-line-and-lagow-reach-new-points-of-spring-practice.aspx

Go Hoosiers!
"Andrew Luck, Jameis Winston, Braxton Miller and E.J. Manuel" . . . hmmmmm . . . .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT