ADVERTISEMENT

Dear coaches: A motivational idea

Thomtar

Freshman
Dec 3, 2016
College athletes are supposed to be full-time students, which means they have to be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours a semester. Classes typically offer three credit hours, per course so that works out to four classes a semester, eight classes a year and 32 classes over four years.
Given the UNC model, create 30 Internet classes that generate an A for the semester if you correctly enroll in the class -- and enrolling in these classes are just like enrolling in an actual class, so there's no trick to it. Heck, you can probably have your academic advisers work with your athletes to enroll online.
Now, here's the motivation: Your athletes earn the right to enroll in these "classes" by exceptional play on the field or on the court. The better an athlete plays, the more of these "classes" he or she gets to "take." (You will be asking them to attend two actual classes during their four-year stay in your program. But that means they'll know what an actual lecture hall looks like, should they ever find themselves in that sort of discussion after "graduation." The other course can be your "How To Coach The Sport I Coach" class!
Okay, okay. It gives a whole new meaning to the concept that the harder you work, the easier it gets, but, hey, they are gifted athletes! They're entitled to some special treatment, aren't they? It's not like they're STUDENT-athletes, or anything.

College athletes are supposed to be full-time students, which means they have to be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours a semester. Classes typically offer three credit hours, per course so that works out to four classes a semester, eight classes a year and 32 classes over four years.
Given the UNC model, create 30 Internet classes that generate an A for the semester if you correctly enroll in the class -- and enrolling in these classes are just like enrolling in an actual class, so there's no trick to it. Heck, you can probably have your academic advisers work with your athletes to enroll online.
Now, here's the motivation: Your athletes earn the right to enroll in these "classes" by exceptional play on the field or on the court. The better an athlete plays, the more of these "classes" he or she gets to "take." (You will be asking them to attend two actual classes during their four-year stay in your program. But that means they'll know what an actual lecture hall looks like, should they ever find themselves in that sort of discussion after "graduation." The other course can be your "How To Coach The Sport I Coach" class!
Okay, okay. It gives a whole new meaning to the concept that the harder you work, the easier it gets, but, hey, they are gifted athletes! They're entitled to some special treatment, aren't they? It's not like they're STUDENT-athletes, or anything.
Why are they entitled to receive tutoring, then? Seriously, why?

Why are they entitled to receive tutoring, then? Seriously, why?
Well, in the athlete's world: Because they're special talents make them special. In the "real" world: They will probably need help making it through the one or two classes we expect them to take during their four years. And, the tutoring staff is the program's insurance that every athletes successfully enrolls for the bogus classes, thus qualifying them for the "automatic A."
That's why, Stuffshot.

Some of you act like UNC is the only college to offer easy A classes. I always heard the old joke of people taking under water basket weaving. I had a friend who took 3 classes in the summer and two were bowling and tennis and he was not an athlete.

Some of you act like UNC is the only college to offer easy A classes. I always heard the old joke of people taking under water basket weaving. I had a friend who took 3 classes in the summer and two were bowling and tennis and he was not an athlete.
I remember hearing about basket weaving but not underwater basket weaving ... Is this a sign of the curriculum keeping up with the times?

I remember hearing about basket weaving but not underwater basket weaving ... Is this a sign of the curriculum keeping up with the times?

How can you be flunking TV?
1456516519_778237_1456520465_album_grande.jpg

How can you be flunking TV?
1456516519_778237_1456520465_album_grande.jpg
You know, it's been a long, long time since I've watched that movie, and I honestly don't remember "underwater basket weaving." Guess I'll have to watch it, again!
In my day, we talking about classes like Basket Weaving, Rocks for Jocks, Subtleties and Intricacies of Polynomial Addition ...
I guess, back in the day, we assumed all of them were above water.

OK so let's look at the cost aspect of the athletes education. (So called full ride)
  • I create some internet classes that don't meet
    • I don't need a brick and mortar room
    • I don't need to clean, maintain, power a brick and mortar toom
    • I don't have a teacher spending time with students, grading papers, etc. (I realize a teacher will be assigned)
  • I provide an appearance of education i.e. my full ride appears to have a financial value
  • It costs me almost nothing to offer full ride internet classes that don't meet
  • I make millions off the so called Student athlete (yea for me)
  • Student athlete can focus on sports and not worry about school
The perfect model.
Kid is just a tool for me (school) to win. (yea for me again)
Go Hoosiers!

OK so let's look at the cost aspect of the athletes education. (So called full ride)
  • I create some internet classes that don't meet
    • I don't need a brick and mortar room
    • I don't need to clean, maintain, power a brick and mortar toom
    • I don't have a teacher spending time with students, grading papers, etc. (I realize a teacher will be assigned)
  • I provide an appearance of education i.e. my full ride appears to have a financial value
  • It costs me almost nothing to offer full ride internet classes that don't meet
  • I make millions off the so called Student athlete (yea for me)
  • Student athlete can focus on sports and not worry about school
The perfect model.
Kid is just a tool for me (school) to win. (yea for me again)
Go Hoosiers!
Well, yeah. You DO need a brick-and-mortar room. You need an indoor facility for your computer server to register enrollments. What you DON'T need is Ballentine Hall kinds of buildings ...
Otherwise, MobileHoosier, I think you are pretty much dead-on right.

Reactions: mobilehoosier
Underwater basket weaving was only offered to the swim and diving teams.
I'm a bit of Doctor Who fan so, to quote the 12th Doctor from the upcoming Christmas Special: "You trying to be funny?"
Offer it to the whole student body and it's just another "class" to the NCAA; offer only to the swimming and diving team and it could be a violation -- assuming the NCAA could detect the violation. (Now, granted, they may not be capable of detecting water while standing in a boat in the middle of Lake Monroe ...)
And if this is offered only to the swimming and diving team and I'm on the water polo team, I might be a little ticked off. :-(

But, if you're trying to be funny, then: LOL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT