ADVERTISEMENT

CTA open to change

The reason I was glad that IU moved coach Allen up to HC was two fold - 1. he was a Hoosier and would stay at his dream job, 2. as a former HS coach and small college coach before moving up to the big time he would be flexible and always willing to change to improve IUFB; it is something a HS coach has to do as I had to change according to the ability of my players when I coached.

The reason I was glad that IU moved coach Allen up to HC was two fold - 1. he was a Hoosier and would stay at his dream job, 2. as a former HS coach and small college coach before moving up to the big time he would be flexible and always willing to change to improve IUFB; it is something a HS coach has to do as I had to change according to the ability of my players when I coached.
Also think you should add in there his ability to create an infectious "badass" mentality across the board. That no matter who we play we will do our best to dominate every aspect of the game. Of course that mentality is great and works to a certain degree but with our athletes that are getting now that will only raise their ability even more! I'm really excited to see how this season plays out. Really interested to see who the starting Qb is and how they will handle that.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
I have to say I am impressed by CTAs transparency. I don’t know what’s driving it. But it is almost like he is responding in an intelligent manner to some of the criticisms on this board which are not always intelligent.

When CKW left I was under the opinion, right or wrong, that he still had no idea what was going on on the defensive side of the ball. CTA comes out and says hey I’m learning and I’m learning how to budget my time.

But what he doesn’t waiver on is that he wants good people, and he wants student athletes and he wants people who are passionate. He is trying to build a culture. And that culture will be the foundation of his program. And those who give absolutely no thought to this but say that his future is solely dependent on going to a bowl game In year three just don’t see the bigger picture.

Last edited:
And those who give absolutely no thought to this but say that his future is solely dependent on going to a bowl game In year three just don’t see the bigger picture.
Anyone who claims that "his future is solely dependent on going to a bowl game in year three" doesn't know what they're talking about. That said, we've got momentum right now, with a highly regarded new OC and an outstanding recruiting class. It's important to maintain that momentum, and it would be very tough to do so if this season ends, as the previous two have, with less than six wins. A 5-7 year wouldn't mean all is lost, but it would make the hill considerably steeper.

Anyone who claims that "his future is solely dependent on going to a bowl game in year three" doesn't know what they're talking about. That said, we've got momentum right now, with a highly regarded new OC and an outstanding recruiting class. It's important to maintain that momentum, and it would be very tough to do so if this season ends, as the previous two have, with less than six wins. A 5-7 year wouldn't mean all is lost, but it would make the hill considerably steeper.
Yes a bowl appearance in year three would be great and very helpful! It won't be the end all be all in terms of his tenure here if he doesn't go bowling unless we lose every game badly. He is building a program for the long haul and recruits well. I want IUFB to be the best of the best like everyone else. But I am also aware that it will take time for that to be the case. I see CTA being here awhile especially if he keeps up the recruiting.

Think Allen taking DC role off his plate has led to a more confident approach by CTA overall. He's trusting he's got a good staff in place (which I believe he does), and he's focusing more on the big picture goals/strategies of what he wants the program to look like and be down the line, not a transnational one-year only view.

Certain the talent level is higher, and think this is a year IU can beat one of the "Big 4 of B10 East". Do that, beat PU at W Laffy, and beat the other teams they should and think 7-5 or 8-4 is potential for 2019. Lot of little things coming into place and difference makers on the team ready to help lead to more wins.

Yes a bowl appearance in year three would be great and very helpful! It won't be the end all be all in terms of his tenure here if he doesn't go bowling unless we lose every game badly. He is building a program for the long haul and recruits well. I want IUFB to be the best of the best like everyone else. But I am also aware that it will take time for that to be the case. I see CTA being here awhile especially if he keeps up the recruiting.
I fully get it that CTA has a long term vision and is building for the future. But at some point there's got to be clear evidence of progress, and I would argue we're at that point. The optics of a third straight 5-7 season would not be good for IU football.

And I'm not talking about competing for the east division title. I'm talking 6-6, which is not a high bar. With respect to this year's OOC schedule, it would be inexcusable to lose any of those games and I'm assuming we'll go 3-0 in that portion of the schedule. With respect to Big Ten play, if we're unable to come up with just three wins in the nine game conference schedule with our roster upgrades, our new high-priced OC, and in CTA's third season at the helm, this would, in my opinion, be a major setback for the program.

I fully get it that CTA has a long term vision and is building for the future. But at some point there's got to be clear evidence of progress, and I would argue we're at that point. The optics of a third straight 5-7 season would not be good for IU football.

And I'm not talking about competing for the east division title. I'm talking 6-6, which is not a high bar. With respect to this year's OOC schedule, it would be inexcusable to lose any of those games and I'm assuming we'll go 3-0 in that portion of the schedule. With respect to Big Ten play, if we're unable to come up with just three wins in the nine game conference schedule with our roster upgrades, our new high-priced OC, and in CTA's third season at the helm, this would, in my opinion, be a major setback for the program.

Declaring any opponent a "sure win" is often a recipe for disaster:

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/5-biggest-fcs-vs-fbs-upsets-college-football-history

Now that nearly any school can stock up on one year "ringers" to supplement a five year build there's always the chance of walking into an Eastern Michigan out there...

I think we'll do well this season but whatever the final W tally..., I'm onboard with Tom Allen for the long haul...

Declaring any opponent a "sure win" is often a recipe for disaster:

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/5-biggest-fcs-vs-fbs-upsets-college-football-history

Now that nearly any school can stock up on one year "ringers" to supplement a five year build there's always the chance of walking into an Eastern Michigan out there...

I think we'll do well this season but whatever the final W tally..., I'm onboard with Tom Allen for the long haul...
I'm not talking about the future of Tom Allen (whom I like very much), 76. I'm talking about the future of IU football. I'm sure Allen is safe after this season no matter what happens.

I'm aware of the upsets identified in your link. But here's the deal. When a school like IU is trying to build a program, there's little margin for error in an attempt to tally six wins. IU can't afford to stumble against a significantly weaker non-conference opponent because there's little opportunity to find another win to cancel out the bad loss. Do you see us going better than 3-6 in the conference this year? Me neither.

In 2007, when Michigan lost to Appalachian State, they went 6-2 in the conference and ended the season, a successful season, with nine wins. Still, the loss to App State no doubt cost Lloyd Carr his job.

IU has to win its three OOC games this year, and I believe we will. If I'm wrong, it's going to be a long season.

Reactions: vesuvius13
When break things down, IU SHOULD win the three non-conf games and I too believe they will. Then to simply ask/say: Can they win 3 of remaining 9 (33%) to get to six games, I also think they can, should and will. I also agree that is hopefully a new baseline, not anywhere close to the ceiling. I'd say home vs Northwestern & Rutgers and @MD & @PU are the "bestest" shots at winning at least three. Think @MSU & @Neb & home vs. Michigan are my next three. (Home vs. OSU & PSU are toughest two on schedule. (But with PSU transfers & graduations, maybe a surprise game too?

New OC - check. 4-Star QB - Check. Bigger OL this year - check. Lot of returning talent on Defense? Check. Think 6-6, 7-5 is very doable.

Well..... IU is blazing a trail to show everyone how it is done I guess..... you don’t see HC at Power 5’s basically talking about OJT’ing it. I get it..... but you don’t see it.

When break things down, IU SHOULD win the three non-conf games and I too believe they will. Then to simply ask/say: Can they win 3 of remaining 9 (33%) to get to six games, I also think they can, should and will. I also agree that is hopefully a new baseline, not anywhere close to the ceiling. I'd say home vs Northwestern & Rutgers and @MD & @PU are the "bestest" shots at winning at least three. Think @MSU & @Neb & home vs. Michigan are my next three. (Home vs. OSU & PSU are toughest two on schedule. (But with PSU transfers & graduations, maybe a surprise game too?

New OC - check. 4-Star QB - Check. Bigger OL this year - check. Lot of returning talent on Defense? Check. Think 6-6, 7-5 is very doable.
Just for some (depressing) fun: Do you realize, IndyIUFan, that in the last 32 years, IU has had just five seasons with seven or more wins -- and four of them belong to Bill Mallory?!?
Still, I see what you are saying and it certainly feels like things are on the upswing.

Last edited:
Just for some (depressing) fun: Do you realize, IndyIUFan, that in the last 32 years, IU has had just five seasons with seven or more wins -- and four of them belong to Bill Mallory?!?
Still, I see what you are saying and it certainly feels like things are on the upswing.

IU FB has many many a loyal fan feel like Charlie Brown licking FB with Lucy pulling it last minute. There are so many games “should have won” that could have been difference of bowling or not over the years.

I guess my change now is feels like he talent is deeper, coaching staff coming together and with better QB talent, the bowl breakthrough is about to happen.

CTA has yet to lose an out of conference game. In fact, since 2015, IU is 12-1 in ooc games. The lone loss came as a result of throwing 5 INTs to Wake Forest, and it was still a one possession game.

I believe IU can lose to any team on the schedule, but I also believe IU can beat any team on the schedule. A loss to Eastern Illinois would shock me whereas a win against OSU would not.

The problem with this year's schedule is nearly all of the "50/50" games are on the road (Maryland, Purdue, Nebraska) with just one (Northwestern) at home.

I think the player turnover and new QB at PSU make them vulnerable. MSU has not scared anyone in almost 5 years. Again, both of these games are on the road.

I relish playing the B1G East "Big 4" every year, but the way the B1G has set up our schedule with MSU, PSU, PU and Maryland always away in the same year is not easy. This year, in order to bowl, we must win one of these and possibly two. Never forget, Northwestern is always stronger in November than in September.

I still believe we bowl this year and explode in 2020.

Last edited:
I'm not talking about the future of Tom Allen (whom I like very much), 76. I'm talking about the future of IU football. I'm sure Allen is safe after this season no matter what happens.

I'm aware of the upsets identified in your link. But here's the deal. When a school like IU is trying to build a program, there's little margin for error in an attempt to tally six wins. IU can't afford to stumble against a significantly weaker non-conference opponent because there's little opportunity to find another win to cancel out the bad loss. Do you see us going better than 3-6 in the conference this year? Me neither.

In 2007, when Michigan lost to Appalachian State, they went 6-2 in the conference and ended the season, a successful season, with nine wins. Still, the loss to App State no doubt cost Lloyd Carr his job.

IU has to win its three OOC games this year, and I believe we will. If I'm wrong, it's going to be a long season.

You are spot on. The optics would not look good at all, particularly when other new coaches in the league are taking depleted rosters and going to bowls.

By year #3, Mallory was bowling after a much larger rebuild.

I know Allen doesn’t use “history” as an excuse to explain away losing seasons. He has the same sense of urgency as most fans. He has to do something this year considering everything going on around him.

IU needs to start doing something in spite of its history. Northwestern did it with much less infrastructure.

You are spot on. The optics would not look good at all, particularly when other new coaches in the league are taking depleted rosters and going to bowls.

By year #3, Mallory was bowling after a much larger rebuild.

I know Allen doesn’t use “history” as an excuse to explain away losing seasons. He has the same sense of urgency as most fans. He has to do something this year considering everything going on around him.

IU needs to start doing something in spite of its history. Northwestern did it with much less infrastructure.
Agreed. This is a hugely important year for IU football. Gotta win six to maintain recruiting momentum.

Not to be that guy, but Allen never said this was his dream job. It was quoted as "dream opportunity". There is a difference but it's not worth getting into.

I really hope he does work out and gets us to the awaited breakthrough, but I need to see it this upcoming season. No more going for it on 4th and 7, mediocre to worse special teams, short of the sticks passing on 3rd and long etc. It's time to get a win or two that's somewhat of a shocker. Otherwise we are stuck in neutral.

Think Allen taking DC role off his plate has led to a more confident approach by CTA overall. He's trusting he's got a good staff in place (which I believe he does), and he's focusing more on the big picture goals/strategies of what he wants the program to look like and be down the line, not a transnational one-year only view.

Certain the talent level is higher, and think this is a year IU can beat one of the "Big 4 of B10 East". Do that, beat PU at W Laffy, and beat the other teams they should and think 7-5 or 8-4 is potential for 2019. Lot of little things coming into place and difference makers on the team ready to help lead to more wins.
That is hopeful, but 4-8, 5-7 is more realistic looking at the schedule.

Reactions: IUgradman
That is hopeful, but 4-8, 5-7 is more realistic looking at the schedule.
I wish this wasn't our year for five B1G road games, but the OOC schedule is hardly a murderers' row. With respect to the conference games, we're always going to have OSU, UM, MSU and PSU, but PSU and even OSU may take a step back this year. Gotta win six!

I really hope he does work out and gets us to the awaited breakthrough, but I need to see it this upcoming season. No more going for it on 4th and 7, mediocre to worse special teams, short of the sticks passing on 3rd and long etc. It's time to get a win or two that's somewhat of a shocker. Otherwise we are stuck in neutral.
This is where we gotta hope the new OC has an immediate impact, similar to what he's done elsewhere and what Allen did on the defensive side.

This is where we gotta hope the new OC has an immediate impact, similar to what he's done elsewhere and what Allen did on the defensive side.
Absolutely true. Will a new playbook be instant success or will it take some time to get acclimated to? Another huge factor will be if anybody is the clear signal caller behind center. I've said it more than once last year, I'm not for shuttling in different QB's just for the sake of getting backups playing time. We need the staff to give whichever starter it is, full time game duties and all first team practice situations. It will only stunt growth and possibly confidence if this happens differently. Let's hope they make the right choice. I fully expect the season will be determined on how this position plays out.

With a new OC that has shown he improves offenses, very skilled players at the receiver spots, high rated QBs competing with a returning QB, and talented players on OL; IU's offense could be the difference in this coming season.

The defense gained experience last year plus it has gained size on the DL with more speed at DE. The front should put pressure on opposing offenses letting our talented DBs tee off on passes.

What does all this lead to maybe a season to remember and wipe out many of the bad memories. IU doesn't have much lee way in winning games so it will take players making big plays to win more games. Hopefully IU has those players and they will break out this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT