ADVERTISEMENT

CTA BiG Media Days Comments

TomEric4756

All-Big Ten
Sep 20, 2021
Lots of confirmation of things previously discussed. (Like Donaven going to CTA to play receiver). Nice quote in Fisch’s Schenkel award.

https://saturdaytradition.com/india...allen-said-from-the-podium-at-b1g-media-days/

Praise for the three academic all big ten honorees at media days, in addition to their All Big Ten Honors.
In a senior laden defense, where one may anticipate a lot of leaders, Sr. LB Cam Jones is a 3-time Team Captain.

There will be a game 1 (season) starter named. Donaven will see some snaps at QB.

… by design we came out of spring football and felt like there wasn’t a clear guy to name, so didn’t do that. But I love the competition piece to the process and to be able to have to prove it every single day all summer long now into fall camp.

Obviously we’ll have a starter named before the opener, but the bottom line is that, once that person is named, he’ll be the starter. Not expecting a dual situation, but at the same time, as we saw last year and we learned up close and personal, that things happen, injuries happen, and you’d better have more than one guy that’s going to be able to be your starting quarterback in your program. So I feel like we have that with several individuals.

Donaven is a young man who’s played for us at quarterback position, has moved into receiver. But yes, we’ll still have packages for him in that opportunity because of his skill set that he brings to our football team, and it’s all about getting your best players on the field.

Last edited:
Soon it will be clear what IU's offense looks like QB, WRs, and OL. Against Illinois we will see what the run game is going to do to take pressure from the passing game. We will see how explosive the offense can be with the new players in the skill positions.

We will see how aggressive and disruptive the defense will be this year. We will see how much of an impact STs have in the games. All should be answer in the first game against Illinois.

i still think DM to WR is a total head scratcher.

and yes, i see what he brings to the WR spot.

i also see him as the future highest ceiling QB.

as for sticking with a QB once picked, absent injury, i'm not the biggest fan of that either.

mainly because absent full speed full contact practices, you can't really see who performs best in full contact full speed conditions.

Last edited:

i also he him as the future highest ceiling QB.

as for sticking with a QB once picked, absent injury, i'm not the biggest fan of that either.

mainly because absent full speed full contact practices, you can't really see who performs best in full contact full speed conditions.
He would be #4 on the depth chart, with almost no opportunity to play. He wasn’t what they thought he was going to be.

i also he him as the future highest ceiling QB.

DM talked to coach Allen about moving to WR and he has the skills to be a great WR for IU with speed, strength, and knowing the routes.

Reactions: IU73
and you know this how?

you certainly can't access that from last yr. (where even then, i think he showed more promise than know it alls here are giving him credit for).
He ended last season at the end of the depth chart, as three guys ahead of him missed large chunks of the season (or all of it, in the case of DW) with injuries and a walk on moved past him. He wasn’t the player they thought they were getting, and they made it clear to him where he was on the depth chart. Only then did he realize his only real opportunity to get on the field (other than a short yardage package) would involve a position change.

i'm not convinced yet he doesn't have the skills to be great QB some day.

QB > WR.
I don't think he couldn't be a good QB but with Bazelak on the team for the next three years McCulley wanted to move to WR and develop into an NFL WR with a former NFL coach. Get over your hurt about him moving on his own as coach didn't make him do it.

Reactions: 76-1
I don't think he couldn't be a good QB but with Bazelak on the team for the next three years McCulley wanted to move to WR and develop into an NFL WR with a former NFL coach. Get over your hurt about him moving on his own as coach didn't make him do it.

i'm wasn't privy to watching spring practice. were you or anyone else in this discussion.

but if CB wasn't decidedly better than JT, then no way this early on am i just assuming he can hold off DM all that long at QB.

and as i've said before, moreso with QB than anything else, no contact practice isn't the same as games.

only in games, do QBs separate themselves imo.

i wonder if Joe Burrow wouldn't agree.

Reactions: vesuvius13
i'm wasn't privy to watching spring practice. were you or anyone else in this discussion.

but if CB wasn't decidedly better than JT, then no way this early on am i just assuming he can hold off DM all that long at QB.

and as i've said before, moreso with QB than anything else, no contact practice isn't the same as games.

only in games, do QBs separate themselves imo.

i wonder if Joe Burrow wouldn't agree.
Like you, I liked DM at QB but I have accepted that he wanted to move to WR and it would be nice if you accepted DM's desire too.

Reactions: 76-1

i also see him as the future highest ceiling QB.

One of the questions is If You are Coaching, how do You get your best players on the field at the same time to give yourself the best chance to win. In part that is do your Players view themselves as position players or football players, As We know athletic careers can be short and uncertain. If You can change positions and make the team better and give yourself the opportunity to get on the field earlier in your career, by all means do it. I have no idea how productive McCulley will be this year. Let's say that He is a guy that ends up with 35- 40 Receptions in the first year, and has the potential to catch 60 passes per year in each of the next two years was the move worth it? I vote yes.

Like you, I liked DM at QB but I have accepted that he wanted to move to WR and it would be nice if you accepted DM's desire too.
One of the questions is If You are Coaching, how do You get your best players on the field at the same time to give yourself the best chance to win. In part that is do your Players view themselves as position players or football players, As We know athletic careers can be short and uncertain. If You can change positions and make the team better and give yourself the opportunity to get on the field earlier in your career, by all means do it. I have no idea how productive McCulley will be this year. Let's say that He is a guy that ends up with 35- 40 Receptions in the first year, and has the potential to catch 60 passes per year in each of the next two years was the move worth it? I vote yes.

since none of us has seen him play, because he never has played the position before, we can't just assume DM turns out to be a high NFL draft pick at WR after this yr.

for now, i'll hold my ground.

unless someone else turns out to be a world beater, i think it was way too early to pull the plug on DM at QB.

I think it’s likely he just wants to play, but the coaches were obviously looking past him, so he either can switch positions or change schools.

I think it’s unlikely he would prefer the position change if it didn’t upgrade his PT substantially.

I think it’s likely he just wants to play, but the coaches were obviously looking past him, so he either can switch positions or change schools.

I think it’s unlikely he would prefer the position change if it didn’t upgrade his PT substantially.
He moved because it was clear he was going to be no higher than #4 on the depth chart, with no real opportunity to play.

Mcculley could have developed with a competent QB coach. He has arm talent and we know he can run. Hopefully he finds his spot at WR.

CB reminds me of Peyton Ramsey except he can't really run. I think fans will be wanting an upgrade if he is a guy that makes just all of the safe throws like PR did especially with him not being a running threat.

Reactions: IU73 and vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT