ADVERTISEMENT

Crean quote...

bsmitty08

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2004
Tom Crean: "The bottom line was we were not good enough in the paint. Our best post defender was 6-3."

Uh he needs to look in the mirror and look at the roster he built.

Originally posted by bsmitty08:

Tom Crean: "The bottom line was we were not good enough in the paint. Our best post defender was 6-3."

Uh he needs to look in the mirror and look at the roster he built.

Maybe that was a call to Thomas Bryant lol
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Was he refering to Stan?

He probably did do the best job in the paint... but yea, ultimately it's his fault we are that small.

Continually trying to drive in there for layups was insane, but that's what we've come to expect from Mr. Crean. He wouldn't leave a game plan if his life depended on it.

Re: Was he refering to Stan?

Yep...recipe to beating IU...Have your BIG guard Williams and sag in the paint and apply pressure defense at the arc.

Re: Uh, he had it built...

Zeller and Vonleh? Those guys are expected to be gone. That is why you recruit multiple bigs in every class.

Re: Nobody expected JH to be as big a flop as he was. LF and a few

Hollowell was 6'7. We need BIgs...guys like Zeller, Vonleh. Saying he did prepare by recruiting Zeller, VOnleh is like Saying UK prepared with they recruited Athony Davis.

Biggest question is...

With our size issue why did we use our two over signs on two 6'7 guys? We need a PG and a 5 man much worse than the combo small forward types.

He's listed at 6'8, but....saying he didn't recruit other bigs? Swing big m

big, but you get a few home runs. I agree we could use one more with size, but it isn't a draft. Interest has to go both ways. I'm still really surprised April can't give a few min. Ya, he's a little slow footed, and from what I've seen doesn't understand the offense, but a 7' can't play a few min a game? He seemed decent on D in the very few min he's played.

OH. You haven't watched much..One of those 6'7" guys

will be our PG next year. Example is letting TW set up the offense and then bull rush the lane with no meaning to either force a bad shot or dribble hand off to the defense.. Just because VO made a great transition does not mean every super athlete can.

don't forget Trey Lyle...

as long as you're making excuses. I've even seen someone mention he had Goodluck Okonoboh as a "lock" until the last minute, so no reason not to add him to the "had it built" fantasy.

Bottom line is, CZ is old news, NV was always likely a 1 and done (as Dakich recognized before he set foot here: "kids don't move up a class to take LONGER to get the the NBA) and when Jurkin wasn't panning out, a replacement was critical at that point in time. LF is legit, but even if we had him, we'd still be undermanned up front. Crean's approach of wanting to only play 1 post is the core problem. If he valued bigs like all the other bball programs, we might have had some reserves, other than wings he's having to lean on to play in the post.

But everyone knew that Cody & Noah would not be here at this

point. Luke would have stayed if the situation was better. I don't think we win as many games as we have now if HMP was healthy.

stop

making sense. Besides, what makes you think we're done with 2 oversigns? I think we'll take at least 1 more, and 2 if what I believe is the "master" plan works out. I think we'll add a PG and a post if possible, and then the chips will fall where they may.

Your bottom line could say the same thing for Yogi....

...paraphrased - "Kids don't earn enough credits to graduate in three to take LONGER to get to the NBA" and that is the sorry state of IU basketball and college basketball, in general. Good for Yogi, though, and his heirs and heirs-to-be. I think his momma is going to have her mortgage payments retired soon. Let's hear it for the American Dream!

Re: Your bottom line could say the same thing for Yogi....

Isn't Yogi's mom a doctor? I don't think she needs his money. Losing Vonleh to the pros and the Fischer transfer really hurt the program. I wonder why April doesn't get any minutes? You can't coach 6' 11".

Re: Your bottom line could say the same thing for Yogi....

Unfortuantley we have had a lot of 6'11 guys that we couldn't coach. Bawa, Jobe, April, Jurkin

Re: Was he refering to Stan?

.............and Havoc. We actually tried our own version of Havoc with about four minutes left in the game and walla...........got a turnover and a bucket. WOW

One problem was that they thought Jurkin would pan out...

I'll never understand that recruitment. Little definable skill for that level, and he had a body that wasn't really going to support the weight he needed to compete physically.

Re: One problem was that they thought Jurkin would pan out...

agree Bloom...I went and watched him in AAU and thought same thing. Especially when McGary wanted in.

Good for Yogi if he goes. Good for Yogi if he stays.

You never know what a kid will do. It might depend on whether he thinks this class is more loaded than the next.

He's given us 3 solid years. If he gives us 4 great. If not, we'll be looking at other superstars next year: JBJ, RJ, TW? I could live with a team with those 2 sophs and JR. (and CH and HMP.)

This post was edited on 1/29 9:01 AM by Moops

News Flash: Indiana finishes 11-7 in the BIG and makes the NCAA. A big accomplishment for a team without size! This is not settling for this is reality with the team we have. If all the top players stay and we finish the same next year then that would be a big disappointment. Blaming the coach when kids get in trouble or leave the program is like blaming the principle for every problem kid in his school.

Re: Jurkin

Don't coaches sign certain players just for the purpose of opening up a recruiting pipeline, establishing a relationship with a. in order to get and opening with b. c. and d. ?

It struck me at the time that Jurken and a few before him were more about establishing a pipeline than their specific skill set. It didn't work out in either case.

I think by the time NV came along, it should have been recognized that PJ

was likely not going to contribute; hence we should have had a post addressed in that class with JBJ and RJ. Frankly my guess is that's what he intended to do, but after losing Lyles and having JBJ waiver, I feel like Hoetzel was an insurance policy, and that slot would have been for a post otherwise. At any rate, there's little doubt that CTC doesn't value bigs the same as most other top programs. I also don't think he values a "rim protector" like other teams do (ala Lville or UConn). I think CTC expects every player to be an offensive threat.

Jurkin, I was actually hopeful on. I went and saw him early in his senior year here in Charlotte and he was a pretty good defensive presence. patrolling the lane, and rebounding, and he was playing against an unskilled but pretty mobile 7'er. That may be why CTC soured on him, as I mentioned above, because I don't think he sees much value in a defender/rebounder.

I also went and watched George Leach in high school and in terms of defensive positioning and help D, PJ seemed far advanced over GL.
This post was edited on 1/29 12:26 PM by kkott

what about when we have significant offseason turnover next year, and

we're young again? I guess if that team struggles but finds their way in the tourney they'll be viewed as overachieving too because they were picked to finish low?

Yes. Tired of the excuse...

He built this roster. He could have managed it much better or developed players. Everyone knew Vonleh was leaving after one year. He knew he needed a big in the past recruiting class. He could have manager the Fischer situation a little better, but even if you give him a pass on Fischer, Crean knew in early December that the kid was gone. This should have placed a higher importance on acquiring an impact post player for this year. Instead he got Tim and Jeremiah, who aren't anywhere near contributing. He failed in recruiting as he failed in coaching. We are exactly like his Marquette teams. He hasn't improved in either aspect.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT