ADVERTISEMENT

Cord vs No Cord

BAMAFORIU

Recruit
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2001
IUBB has announced 5 games plus the opening round of the B10 tournament will be streamed on Peacock leaving those of us who are still old school cable unable to watch. Obviously, this is a money decision rather than a loyalty decision. Those streamers still can watch all non-streamed games while leaving us old schoolers in the dark on their streamed games. Old school has been behind this program for many years and now we are being abandoned. Shame on our athletic department for abandoning a key segment who helped get you here. It is like abandoning or ignoring the contribution of Calbert Cheaney or a player named Woodson in the history of IU basketball. Shame for choosing the dollar over tradition.

IUBB has announced 5 games plus the opening round of the B10 tournament will be streamed on Peacock leaving those of us who are still old school cable unable to watch. Obviously, this is a money decision rather than a loyalty decision. Those streamers still can watch all non-streamed games while leaving us old schoolers in the dark on their streamed games. Old school has been behind this program for many years and now we are being abandoned. Shame on our athletic department for abandoning a key segment who helped get you here. It is like abandoning or ignoring the contribution of Calbert Cheaney or a player named Woodson in the history of IU basketball. Shame for choosing the dollar over tradition.
how about next time lucy calls in sick you take its shift? 8 hours over the fryer should easily net you enough to get peacock for 4 months.

• Haha
Reactions: Bucket Getter
Cable is gone. You might as well just stream. You can opt out and restart fat anytime unlike cable and satellite.

Our Athletic Department does not make decisions about which network shows the games. That is a conference decision

Get rid of cable or direct TV or whatever you have. It's massive waste of money. Get a good antenna for local channels and a few streaming apps. Boom I just saved you like $150 months.
There’s so much decent free content it’s ridiculous. I turn my YouTube tv off all summer. Just got rid of Netflix. It’s a waist of money. They’ve flooded it with crappy content. Most movies they have are on other services.

Reactions: Ty Webb iu
I just bought a house in greene county in the middle of nowhere. I have dish (direct tv pissed me off at instal) and viasat internet. Musk’s internet wasn’t available yet. I can’t stream shit with this internet.

I just bought a house in greene county in the middle of nowhere. I have dish (direct tv pissed me off at instal) and viasat internet. Musk’s internet wasn’t available yet. I can’t stream shit with this internet.
Have you tried att? They have a newer setup that beams to a 5g tower. It’s not a hotspot either. Everyone I’ve talked to that has it likes it. Works even with trees around.

Have you tried att? They have a newer setup that beams to a 5g tower. It’s not a hotspot either. Everyone I’ve talked to that has it likes it. Works even with trees around.
I am locked into Viasat for 2 years. So I can’t do shit for awhile.

I am locked into Viasat for 2 years. So I can’t do shit for awhile.
Cav,

I think I know where your residence is. (yeah - you're not hard to find) If I'm correct, I'm about a 5 minute drive from there.

Your options are satellite internet (which you say won't stream) or via Peacock app on your cell. How's your cell data speeds and are you paying for unlimited data?

If you can reliably stream youtube vids in 480p or better on the phone, try installing the Peacock app on the phone.

If you can stream on the phone, and assuming you have a home network configured for your satellite setup, try Chromecasting to a TV from the phone so you can watch it on a larger screen. If that won't work, see if you can cast directly from the phone (Wi-Fi Direct) to the TV (w/o using home network). Due to lack of a home network. I use a Samsung phone with SmartView and cast directly to a Sony TV. My cell (VZW) connection is weak, so there are times a stream will buffer to the point it's unwatchable.

Welcome to the sticks. (cue banjos)

• Love
Reactions: Cavanagh

Where there’s a will, there’s a way.

Cav,

I think I know where your residence is. (yeah - you're not hard to find) If I'm correct, I'm about a 5 minute drive from there.

Your options are satellite internet (which you say won't stream) or via Peacock app on your cell. How's your cell data speeds and are you paying for unlimited data?

If you can reliably stream youtube vids in 480p or better on the phone, try installing the Peacock app on the phone.

If you can stream on the phone, and assuming you have a home network configured for your satellite setup, try Chromecasting to a TV from the phone so you can watch it on a larger screen. If that won't work, see if you can cast directly from the phone (Wi-Fi Direct) to the TV (w/o using home network). Due to lack of a home network. I use a Samsung phone with SmartView and cast directly to a Sony TV. My cell (VZW) connection is weak, so there are times a stream will buffer to the point it's unwatchable.

Welcome to the sticks. (cue banjos)
I’m so old I thought peacock was like YouTube tv. I will download it. I just switched from Verizon to At&t because Verizon is atrocious in Greene county. The speed on my phone from 5g is faster than wifi. I actually leave my phone off connecting to wifi! So this sounds like it will work out great!

My new property is already public info? Fantastic!!

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
I’m so old I thought peacock was like YouTube tv. I will download it. I just switched from Verizon to At&t because Verizon is atrocious in Greene county. The speed on my phone from 5g is faster than wifi. I actually leave my phone off connecting to wifi! So this sounds like it will work out great!

Gis is wonderful isn’t it.

Reactions: Cavanagh
Fiber. Don't buy a house that far into nowhere.

I don't think it's the IU athletic department... it's the conference you should have beef with.

If you have a smart TV, internet, and can afford $6, you're good.

BTW - odd you use Woody and Cheaney regarding tradition for a tournament that didn't exist when they played.

i posted this in a thread on the water cooler the other day regarding what's going down, but it needs posted here as well, as it's only going to get worse and worse as long as the FCC and and FTC anti trust division are run out of Wall St.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

don't over think it, this is unregulated monopolies leveraging their monopoly power to the Nth degree, then leveraging it even more.

parting out the car is more profitable than selling the car as a package, but not as profitable as parting out the car and then parting out the part.

which isn't as profitable as parting out the car, then parting out the part, then forcing you to buy every piece you want/need of the parted out part not by itself, but in a package that includes 100 other parts of parts that go to something other than the parted out part you need.

at which point you have to buy multiple boxes of disassociated parts of parts, just to get all the parts of the part you need.

and do that drill for every part of the parted out car.

the beauty of unregulated monopolies.

it's not personal. just business.

The thing I don’t like about all the different platforms is on yr you get big ten+, then next yr you have to get peacock and so on and so on. I understand that this is the way it is going as i currently have YouTube tv and my wife got all the Netflix prime and Disney plus but what I hate about that is you have to go to the app on the tv, sign in, pick who is watching just to get to the menu.
What were talking about is being able to watch a handful of IU games and being forced to get these packages-if we finish high enough in the big this year, I don’t have to buy peacock to watch first round of Big10 tournament- but what it does is upset the older generation, they lose interest/get frustrated, hard to follow your team and builds resentment in part of the fan base. But again, your talking about first handful of games and some at the end and at times it just seems exhausting, shouldn’t have to be this hard

I was hesitant to try it
The thing I don’t like about all the different platforms is on yr you get big ten+, then next yr you have to get peacock and so on and so on. I understand that this is the way it is going as i currently have YouTube tv and my wife got all the Netflix prime and Disney plus but what I hate about that is you have to go to the app on the tv, sign in, pick who is watching just to get to the menu.
What were talking about is being able to watch a handful of IU games and being forced to get these packages-if we finish high enough in the big this year, I don’t have to buy peacock to watch first round of Big10 tournament- but what it does is upset the older generation, they lose interest/get frustrated, hard to follow your team and builds resentment in part of the fan base. But again, your talking about first handful of games and some at the end and at times it just seems exhausting, shouldn’t have to be this hard
i agree with your premise, but don’t agree that making a team difficult to follow leads to resentment. It leads to apathy.,…for something (an entertainment option) that is in competition with other things to do with one’s time.

is apathy towards a college sports team bad? I suppose it all depends on what one is doing with your time instead.

I was hesitant to try it

i agree with your premise, but don’t agree that making a team difficult to follow leads to resentment. It leads to apathy.,…for something (an entertainment option) that is in competition with other things to do with one’s time.

is apathy towards a college sports team bad? I suppose it all depends on what one is doing with your time instead.

If you have a smart TV, internet, and can afford $6, you're good.

BTW - odd you use Woody and Cheaney regarding tradition for a tournament that didn't exist when they played.
You don't need a smart TV. Plug in a Firestick or Roku stick($25) in HDMI port. I can't get internet so use cellphone w/unlimited data. Stream every night. Have a young relative set it up!

Fact is, the B1G f’d over its fan base with their most recent deal. I hope it flounders. Tired of the BS

Reactions: kmathum

You’re so old? Lol. But I AM old and even I knew that. I’ve had Peacock for awhile though.

first they parted out the car, then they parted out all the parts themselves.

i have loved IU my whole life, literally grew up on campus, but even the best of things are vulnerable to takeover by malevolent forces.

the corporate raider activist hedge fund manager mentalities who have zero interest in the best interests of the schools or the best interests of college athletics or the best interests of fan base, who infiltrated and hijacked the B10 from within, a non profit by design and intent, are total and complete PsOS scum.

that said, said total and complete PsOS scum didn't take over the conference and college sports, without the schools themselves allowing so.

every board member of every school needs removed and replaced as of yesterday, as all are a total and complete disgrace to the universities they oversee, and a total disgrace to every alum and faculty member who ever attended or worked for, as the institutions themselves have totally lost sight of their very purpose for being, which absolutely occurred from the top.

and let's not lose sight that said forces are now to a great extent overseeing our nation's healthcare as well as our nation's higher education.

why would anyone assume the mindset that hijacked the universities' sports haven't/won't totally infiltrate the healthcare and educational sides.

that would be totally irrational thinking and stupidity beyond belief to not assume they would.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbafficionado
The 5 games take place in Dec, Jan, Feb. So, 3 months. Peacock’s cheap plan is 5.99 per month, cancel anytime. Therefore, you can watch all 5 games (all 5 are B1G games, mind you) for less than 18 bucks, then hit the cancel button.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT