ADVERTISEMENT

Condensed Fresno State Game

Looks almost identical to a Debord offense......I don't know what to think. This dude will make or break the Tom Allen tenure, hope he's very good.

PS..I only watched the first five minutes, maybe it got better. This hire concerns me, don't really know why I feel that way.

These are some funny posts.

The 2nd leading receiver on the Fresno team was the Tight end with 55 catches. When was the last time we had a TE with 55 catches in a year? I'll take that all day. Everyone on this board screams for it.
He who throws to the tight end most......wins.

Reactions: 76-1
Looks almost identical to a Debord offense......I don't know what to think. This dude will make or break the Tom Allen tenure, hope he's very good.

PS..I only watched the first five minutes, maybe it got better. This hire concerns me, don't really know why I feel that way.
Maybe it is not all just the style of offense but a little more in knowing which players to use, how to better develop them. Maybe it is a lot to do with the game plan for each opponent and then the adjustments made during the game. Maybe it is just that the players need to mature and get better and deeper. I prefer to keep my crimson glasses polished up and think he will kill it here until proven otherwise.

I like his success and improvement at each stop along the way. It is hard to watch this video and apply it to the B10.... it looked a little pass heavy at the beginning. Anyway, the fact Allen took his time makes me trust the decision to hire.... until proven otherwise.

I like his success and improvement at each stop along the way. It is hard to watch this video and apply it to the B10.... it looked a little pass heavy at the beginning. Anyway, the fact Allen took his time makes me trust the decision to hire.... until proven otherwise.
CTA thinks he’s worth $300K more than MD. We’ll see.

What will help more than anything is if we can have one year where at least 2 out of 3 of our top skill guys don’t have season ending injuries. This year it was 2/3 of our top RBs (one kicked out), our top WR, and top QB. Last year it was top RB and top WR, two years ago it was our top WR, etc. etc.

CTA thinks he’s worth $300K more than MD. We’ll see.

What will help more than anything is if we can have one year where at least 2 out of 3 of our top skill guys don’t have season ending injuries. This year it was 2/3 of our top RBs (one kicked out), our top WR, and top QB. Last year it was top RB and top WR, two years ago it was our top WR, etc. etc.
Injuries happen...We need depth and thats what CTA is trying to build...Every team has injury issues but the ones who make it through have depth to replace the injured. The offense is stacked, the defense???

Injuries happen...We need depth and thats what CTA is trying to build...Every team has injury issues but the ones who make it through have depth to replace the injured. The offense is stacked, the defense???

The key, as always, will be the play of both the Offensive and Defensive lines. If we get to watch guys step up to a higher level of play on both sides of the line for us we'll be watching a special team, if not, we'll get to watch a few dynamic players attempt to carry the team...

Last edited:
The key, as always, will be the play of both the Offensive and Defensive lines. If we get to watch guys step up to a higher level of play on both sides of the line for us we'll be watching a special team, if not, we'll get to watch a few dynamic players attempt to carry the team...
We are awful thin at DT. We need 6 guys in groups of 2 to rotate IMO. I hate playing true fresh on the DL and OL unless someone is just light years ahead of the curve and I don't know if we have anyone who fits that mold. Maybe Beau Robbins if he adds 20. He is quick!

Reactions: 76-1 and Hoosier009

Make no mistake, our defense will make or break Allen, not the offensive coordinator. There's pressure to win in power 5 for everyone, but Wommack has a lot more than DeBoer at this time. DeBoer does need to step things up also, but again, the D has let us down in crucial and very winnable games two years in a row. That has to improve!

Make no mistake, our defense will make or break Allen, not the offensive coordinator. There's pressure to win in power 5 for everyone, but Wommack has a lot more than DeBoer at this time. DeBoer does need to step things up also, but again, the D has let us down in crucial and very winnable games two years in a row. That has to improve!

Really wish we could fast forward a year or two to see what this team will look like filled with these recruits and the experience gained. I guess we will have to slog through until then but I think most of the problems are a question of depth. If we keep pulling classes like the last 2 it has to get better.

Not sure I agree. There's no question that the defense has taken a step back since the Allen-engineered defensive resurgence in 2016 but I think the regression was more a function of roster developments (e.g. graduation, key injuries, depth issues) than anything else. As Hoosiers Rising mentioned, Allen is addressing this in recruiting. If we've got the talent in place, I have no doubt the defense will step up again. Defense is, after all, Allen's bailiwick. While he's named Wommack the DC, I'm sure Allen will continue to be closely involved with the defense.

DeBoer, on the other hand, will probably have much more autonomy as offensive coordinator. And he's got his hands full with improving what has been an often anemic offense, and a red zone offense in particular that was often ineffective in 2018. If DeBoer gets it done, the future is extremely bright. I believe Allen's IU legacy will hinge on this hire.

I'm liking the fact that this hire has shut down the annoying posts claiming IU football won't open the checkbook for a good coach.
Let it go.... fact is they haven’t... I don’t even know the deal he has when typing this but IU has MORE than demonstrated that historically, we have not been a spender. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Let it go.... fact is they haven’t... I don’t even know the deal he has when typing this but IU has MORE than demonstrated that historically, we have not been a spender. Correct me if I’m wrong.
You're wrong. Those posts have stopped, because anyone claiming today that IU won't commit to football and/or refuses to spend for a good football coach would look like a fool.

I'm not talking historically. I'm talking about the current administration and what they're doing now.

Here's an excerpt from an article last week in the Star:

"DeBoer is expected to draw a salary at or near $800,000 per year. A raise of about $300,000 from what the position previously sat at. Per a USA Today database of assistant coaches' salaries, that $800,000 per year figure would have ranked DeBoer among the eight highest paid assistants in the Big Ten last season. Former IU coach Kevin Wilson, now offensive coordinator at Ohio State, reportedly makes the same amount."

You're wrong. Those posts have stopped, because anyone claiming today that IU won't commit to football and/or refuses to spend for a good football coach would look like a fool.

I'm not talking historically. I'm talking about the current administration and what they're doing now.

"DeBoer is expected to draw a salary at or near $800,000 per year. A raise of about $300,000 from what the position previously sat at. Per a USA Today database of assistant coaches' salaries, that $800,000 per year figure would have ranked DeBoer among the eight highest paid assistants in the Big Ten last season. Former IU coach Kevin Wilson, now offensive coordinator at Ohio State, reportedly makes the same amount."
Okay.... so until this one hire you are saying everyone who complained was right? And now that it appears they paid for someone and no one has said anything it proves something? I’d say it proves the complainers were reasonable in their critique. Good for IU.... we shall see when the contract comes out and we review the actual numbers being quoted. We should have great coaches and that is what everyone wants.....

Furthermore, to demonstrate my point, Kevin Wilson’s 800,000 accounts for roughly 10% of the total compensation of the pool for assistant staff in OSU. The 800,000 for our guy accounts for close to 24% of the the total pay for our assistants. What does that say to you? We haven’t been paying coaches... which can also be translated to our “quality” of coaches haven’t been there.

Please don’t get me wrong. I am happy they opened up a check book to get someone. But until we see a steady diet of this I’m still looking at the Admin with a critical eye. It sure looks positive.

I have been critical in the past ..... I’m glad to see this. But we can’t say it’s fixed yet.

Reactions: Indianaftw
Okay.... so until this one hire you are saying everyone who complained was right? And now that it appears they paid for someone and no one has said anything it proves something? I’d say it proves the complainers were reasonable in their critique. Good for IU.... we shall see when the contract comes out and we review the actual numbers being quoted. We should have great coaches and that is what everyone wants.....
I'll try this one last time. What I'm saying is that IU, in recent years, has demonstrated a commitment to football (with a corresponding expenditure of significant sums of money) like I hadn't before seen in my lifetime. The DeBoer hire is further evidence of that. I'd also note that IU matched Mike DeBord's Tennessee salary when Allen brought him to Bloomington a couple of years ago, and is now paying his successor $300,000 more. Wommack and Allen will be in line for hefty raises if they win. There's ample evidence that IU is flush with cash and is willing to allocate significant sums to the football program.

Reactions: ESalum86

I totally agree Wommack has more pressure. The defense is going backwards. Sure we are playing alot of youth but you can fix some of that through recruiting. Our DLine was the biggest weakness last year IMO. Zero pressure! Our LB play was awful and while some of that is because of the DL we were out of position many times last year. On running plays we ran into piles while RB's went right around leaving corners and safeties to clean up the mess. On slants (especially Minnesota) we played on our heels and instead of taking away the inside we let the WR's play us. I understand what Allen is trying to do in regards to Wommack but JEEZ our LB's last year were not coached very well IMO.

DeBoer has alot of tools to work with and I think he'll be fine! Success everywhere he has been. BUT Wommack better step it way the hell up! He was a guy to me that was on the hot seat as a position coach!

Furthermore, to demonstrate my point, Kevin Wilson’s 800,000 accounts for roughly 10% of the total compensation of the pool for assistant staff in OSU. The 800,000 for our guy accounts for close to 24% of the the total pay for our assistants. What does that say to you? We haven’t been paying coaches... which can also be translated to our “quality” of coaches haven’t been there.

Please don’t get me wrong. I am happy they opened up a check book to get someone. But until we see a steady diet of this I’m still looking at the Admin with a critical eye. It sure looks positive.

I have been critical in the past ..... I’m glad to see this. But we can’t say it’s fixed yet.

So if we give everybody a $500,000 bump, that makes them great coaches?

So if we give everybody a $500,000 bump, that makes them great coaches?
Of course not.... does Saban sign for 300,000? Why not? Because he is a high caliber coach. Quality guys don’t take jobs at 300,000.... or what ever the number is. The better the coach ...generally speaking... the better the coach and program he instills.

What kind of HC do you get for $200,000? You know the answer...we had it. He was the highest paid coach on the team! What did we get? We competed with MAC teams for recruits and lost. We made a bowl game with another coaches players. I would say we didn’t have very many B10 players on that team.... we got what we paid for...

Of course not.... does Saban sign for 300,000? Why not? Because he is a high caliber coach. Quality guys don’t take jobs at 300,000.... or what ever the number is. The better the coach ...generally speaking... the better the coach and program he instills.

What kind of HC do you get for $200,000? You know the answer...we had it. He was the highest paid coach on the team! What did we get? We competed with MAC teams for recruits and lost. We made a bowl game with another coaches players. I would say we didn’t have very many B10 players on that team.... we got what we paid for...

I think you have something backwards.

Schools don’t put out a number that then attracts good or bad or better coaches.

They advertise an opening with “salary and benefits commensurate with experience.”

Or they contact a coach (or agent) directly to see if the guy is (or can be made) interested.

The man comes before the money.

Now i agree that a school could set a ceiling that requires “culling the live well,” but I have never ever heard of any specific coach we have lost because we wouldn’t pay the demand.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT