ADVERTISEMENT

Competitive college admissions private counselors

A

anon_6hv78pr714xta

My daughter is a HS freshman and has been receiving mailers for colleges over the last few months. Yesterday, she got on for Solomon Admissions Consulting. They advise kids, starting in middle school, on how to craft their extra-curriculars, essays, etc. to get into selective colleges. (I don't think you use these services to get into IU, but you would for NW, Michigan, ivies, etc.) They claim to have audited #s and boost acceptance rates to highly competitve schools by as much as 5X-8X.

A few questions and observations:

1. Has anyone used such a service or this one? If so, do you think it helped? How much did it cost (I'm guessing something high 4 figures, low 5 figures for four years of consulting)?

2. If you want to address equity, here's a good place to start. But again, this is economic equity not racial equity (but if you address the former, you will fix the latter).

3. The notion that crafting extra-curriculars and essays can give such a boost to acceptance rates, I think, proves how dumb it is to eliminate standardized testing. Rich people will game this system much more easily than the SAT and ACT. And using these subjective criteria for admissions, just creates an ability of college admissions people to discriminate against Asians more easily.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT