ADVERTISEMENT

Cole Barr returning to IU for his junior year

Fourth-year sophomore was picked in 37th round of MLB Draft by Seattle after sharing the team lead in home runs.

Good news all the way around. If he advances 1/2 as much as he did this year he will move well in the draft and $ that come with it.

It has to be a hard choice for these kids. I would have walked over coals and endured the bus rides, crappy motels, and bad food for a chance to play ball all summer for chump change. I think they call it living the dream.

Reactions: 76-1 and Irregulars
Good news all the way around. If he advances 1/2 as much as he did this year he will move well in the draft and $ that come with it.

It has to be a hard choice for these kids. I would have walked over coals and endured the bus rides, crappy motels, and bad food for a chance to play ball all summer for chump change. I think they call it living the dream.
My nephew did what you describe. Drafted as a senior signee by the twins. Played three years in the minors. (rookie league, Single A midwest, Single A south). He loved it.

As far as our incoming freshman, wasn't Sharp the only one drafted? I haven't heard or seen anything on him as far as what his plans are.

Good news on Barr. He really improved at 3rd as the year went on. If he picks up the rotation of the pitch and cuts down on his strikeouts has a chance to make a big jump after next year with continued improvement. Most likely somewhere around three or four in the order next year depending on what Dunham does and others improve.

Reese was drafted in round 28 and we probably will not here anything until after his team is knocked out of the state tournament. Hopeful that all are drafted guys including Reese Sharp drafted in round 28 or later show up and or come back. Obviously not including senior Bunnell and wish him the best along with all others drafted that choose to leave or graduated.

Fourth-year sophomore was picked in 37th round of MLB Draft by Seattle after sharing the team lead in home runs.

One thing I don't understand about the baseball draft...............I know it's the 37th round, but.......wouldn't it make sense for Seattle to contact Barr prior to drafting him to see if he would come out if they drafted him in that round? And the question applies to all drafted players, HS or college, especially those in the middle rounds.....Are they not allowed to make contact prior to the draft? If you're ML baseball, why don't you wait until college baseball has concluded to have your draft, if they can't contact them during the season?

One thing I don't understand about the baseball draft...............I know it's the 37th round, but.......wouldn't it make sense for Seattle to contact Barr prior to drafting him to see if he would come out if they drafted him in that round? And the question applies to all drafted players, HS or college, especially those in the middle rounds.....Are they not allowed to make contact prior to the draft? If you're ML baseball, why don't you wait until college baseball has concluded to have your draft, if they can't contact them during the season?

Teams are allowed to contact prospects. Gorski mentioned getting a call from the Pirates the day before the draft but there was no commitment to draft him. More to the point Kyle Peterson mentioned on one if the regional broadcasts that mlb doesn’t do much to accommodate college BB. The example he used was clubs calling early round guys with big bonus money available asking if they would sign and this call might very well be in the middle of the Monday night final. Shorter version why doesn’t mlb move the draft back one day.

I was watching the draft tracker in the later rounds and the picks came very fast. I think clubs have a group of longshot prospects (either regarding signing or they see something that with work could be a find) and they make a snap call. If the kid signs fine if not they will get another look. The reality is few of the 40 or so each team drafts make the show, but all the teams have farm systems that need players so that their real top picks have places to develop. Schwarber didn’t tarry on his trip, Kyle Hart is close to beating the odds.

https://www.courierpress.com/story/...ted-40th-round-pittsburgh-pirates/1360551001/
I stand corrected. The linked article indicates the Pirates had several calls with Dunham prior to the draft and that he intends to sign if they offer what he told them he wanted before they drafted him. Also says he would be happy to return to IU if the Pirates don’t.

I knew Elijah’s grandfather and was sad to find out he passed away couple of years ago, Frank would have enjoyed this immensely.

https://www.courierpress.com/story/...ted-40th-round-pittsburgh-pirates/1360551001/
I stand corrected. The linked article indicates the Pirates had several calls with Dunham prior to the draft and that he intends to sign if they offer what he told them he wanted before they drafted him. Also says he would be happy to return to IU if the Pirates don’t.

I knew Elijah’s grandfather and was sad to find out he passed away couple of years ago, Frank would have enjoyed this immensely.
Let's hope that number is really high. If he comes back and has a full year healthy where he hits over .300 and has double digit HR's, he will easily jump up about 20 rounds.

I'd expect Barr, Dunham, and Richardson to be the middle of the order mashers next year. Just cut down on the strikeouts and double up on doubles. Find a legit leadoff hitter that can hit .325+ and teach the bottom of the lineup guys (Walker, Ashley) to bunt. Seems pretty formidable for a "rebuild".

Reactions: 92grad46038jn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT