ADVERTISEMENT

Coffee Geeks - Advice Needed

hookyIU1990

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 26, 2007
Our Malita coffee maker brewed it's last pot yesterday and I had to dig the french press out to get my fix this morning. Looking for recommendations for a good coffee maker. I don't need anything with a grinder in it or K cup option, just needs to have auto brew and be no more than $100.

Anything I should stay away from or lean towards?

Our Malita coffee maker brewed it's last pot yesterday and I had to dig the french press out to get my fix this morning. Looking for recommendations for a good coffee maker. I don't need anything with a grinder in it or K cup option, just needs to have auto brew and be no more than $100.

Anything I should stay away from or lean towards?
I went old school with a Bunn and haven’t looked back. Has a hot water tank so it makes a pot in minutes. $100.

They key to good coffee is that the brew temp needs to be high enough for proper extraction, specifically between 195F and 205F. This is important, because at lower temps the brew can come out with a sour character, because the oils aren't extracted, which is necessary for body and sweetness. You brew will be unbalanced.

Most cheap coffee makers don't brew hot enough. Cortez88 mentioned Bunn. Bunn coffee makers (I can't say which one he has) tend to show up on lists of coffee makers that brew at a proper temp. So that's a good choice.

The best one I ever used was a Moccamaster by Technivorm, but that's not $100. Sadly, it died.

The Cuisinarts generally claim a 200F brew temp. I've used Cuisinarts and they're pretty good for the price. Not Moccamaster great, but pretty good.

They key to good coffee is that the brew temp needs to be high enough for proper extraction, specifically between 195F and 205F. This is important, because at lower temps the brew can come out with a sour character, because the oils aren't extracted, which is necessary for body and sweetness. You brew will be unbalanced.

Most cheap coffee makers don't brew hot enough. Cortez88 mentioned Bunn. Bunn coffee makers (I can't say which one he has) tend to show up on lists of coffee makers that brew at a proper temp. So that's a good choice.

The best one I ever used was a Moccamaster by Technivorm, but that's not $100. Sadly, it died.

The Cuisinarts generally claim a 200F brew temp. I've used Cuisinarts and they're pretty good for the price. Not Moccamaster great, but pretty good.

We've got that exact Cusinart model and it works really well. Not quite up to great French Press cup, but it's still good enough for me. We're 3-4 years in on our second one (first on crapped out after 5+ years) and it's still going strong.

I was looking at the 3200P1 14 cup version, but I've been trumped by the wife.

She ordered something this afternoon. A Ninja CE25 is on it's way from Amazon. Counter space was her main consideration, so hopefully this thing will still make a good cup of coffee.

We've got that exact Cusinart model and it works really well. Not quite up to great French Press cup, but it's still good enough for me. We're 3-4 years in on our second one (first on crapped out after 5+ years) and it's still going strong.
I too, am a Cuisinart guy - I'm on my 3rd over the last 15 yrs or so & really like them a lot. Bunn would probably be my 2nd choice, though in fairness, I have never owned a real high end machine - I'm all about the buzz in the morning to counteract the night before ...

For my morning coffee. I’m all about the pour over. I use a crooked neck kettle to control the water pour and it has temp markings for the right temp as you heat. We use a Chemex pour over brew for 4-6 cups. Only complaint is the loss of temp through the process. The chemex filter however is the best paper filter I’ve ever used hands down. As for machines I’ve heard the Mokamaster is the shit. Not cheap though

I was looking at the 3200P1 14 cup version, but I've been trumped by the wife.

She ordered something this afternoon. A Ninja CE25 is on it's way from Amazon. Counter space was her main consideration, so hopefully this thing will still make a good cup of coffee.

that's awful...

Not the coffee maker; the being trumped by your wife part! Still, a good bit cheaper than half your sh*t; I recommend keeping her if you can!

I think I've posted this here before, and I know I've talked about my love of Jerry Dennis' stories. Anyway, he's got a pretty good one on coffee and specifically camp coffee that some of you might enjoy:

Camp Coffee
A cup of coffee while watching the steam rise off the river first thing in the morning as the sun is just starting to rise is about the perfect outdoor experience.

that's awful...

Not the coffee maker; the being trumped by your wife part! Still, a good bit cheaper than half your sh*t; I recommend keeping her if you can!
She's still here despite all of my bad habits, so maybe she'll hang around longer than the first one.

Reactions: kkott
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT