ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Cignetti calling out some players.

I should have clarified when talking with the media.

And I have no issue with pushing the players and trying to get rid of bad habits. That wasn't the point I was trying to make.
But that's just it. Should he be praising the previous awful/non-existent culture? Should he be ignoring it and thereby making it vastly harder to instill the notion that things need to change? Or should he just be honest and communicate with the media and fans exactly what he is looking to do and why. IU has sucked and the culture has resulted in equal outcomes. CCC isn't saying anything we haven't already said about the program ourselves. We have all said this for decades and when someone comes along trying to rid the program of that mindset, we choose to second guess it in any capacity?

Completely missed the point
Please, tell me how I missed the point? He literally said exactly what we all say. That mentality needs broken down to its foundation and completely reset. Its not like everyone else has looked at IU as this beacon of anything other than the P5 program with the most losses all-time. I despise the idea a coach would come in and act like that isn't the case. It gives off a false bravado.

But that's just it. Should he be praising the previous awful/non-existent culture? Should he be ignoring it and thereby making it vastly harder to instill the notion that things need to change? Or should he just be honest and communicate with the media and fans exactly what he is looking to do and why. IU has sucked and the culture has resulted in equal outcomes. CCC isn't saying anything we haven't already said about the program ourselves. We have all said this for decades and when someone comes along trying to rid the program of that mindset, we choose to second guess it in any capacity?
You can relay the culture you want to instill for the program without saying how much the program used to suck. And it isn't like the program was without good years. They were just few and far between.

Some posters just want to jump on anyone that may say anything even remotely negative towards ccc 2.0.

I like ccc 2.0. Doesn't mean I have to agree with how he goes about every single thing.

Please, tell me how I missed the point? He literally said exactly what we all say. That mentality needs broken down to its foundation and completely reset. Its not like everyone else has looked at IU as this beacon of anything other than the P5 program with the most losses all-time. I despise the idea a coach would come in and act like that isn't the case. It gives off a false bravado.
Thinking it would better to not insult the football program so much to the media has nothing to do with the program culture or being soft.

So yes, you missed the point completely because you were overeager to attack my post for daring to be negative about ccc 2.0.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Thinking it would better to not insult the football program so much to the media has nothing to do with the program culture or being soft.

So yes, you missed the point completely because you were overeager to attack my post for daring to be negative about ccc 2.0.
This coaching staff has my full support until proven otherwise. It's been the same with me since Corso was hired.

I believe Coach Allen was/is a very good defensive coach and he had worked under some very successful college head coaches before coming to IU. Hindsight is always 20/20 but picking up Penix his first couple of years was a God send (no LEO pun intended). Penix should be a Heisman winner and he was certainly a game changer (when fully healthy) on the field. After Penix, Allen's teams struggled on O and I believe that created a distraction resulting in the D declining as well. Coach Sig seems to have the experience and knowledge driving a successful program on both sides of the ball. If he can bring anywhere near that level of success to Indiana Football he will be legendary. We all know what they say about "ifs". However, I'm willing to accept his criticism of IU's football past (we all know its legit) until such time (IF) he proves to be more of the same. Until then, have at it coach !!! Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain playing that video of himself shutting down Jordan !!!

You can relay the culture you want to instill for the program without saying how much the program used to suck. And it isn't like the program was without good years. They were just few and far between.

Some posters just want to jump on anyone that may say anything even remotely negative towards ccc 2.0.

I like ccc 2.0. Doesn't mean I have to agree with how he goes about every single thing.
I'm sorry, please post where CCC said "the program used to suck." I must have missed that somewhere. I'll wait...

Jock-itch thinks "Shock Jock" is the ticket to success by getting clicks, so he does it. Does anybody remember him saying anything positive about an IU coach? but he licks Urbans boots.
Jock-Itch only knows on court basketball (and he won't acknowledge who he garnered all that knowledge from, so screw him...).

Listening to him expound on anything football related is a complete waste of time. I can get more insightful analysis from the guy next to me in the checkout line.... (unless he's a p u fan).

Excuse me for paraphrasing. You can do your own research in this thread.
Ok, so you're saying that isn't what he said. So please, tell me what he did wrong then? You made something up as your justification and now are saying it's just paraphrasing. That's a weak excuse.

No one is "overeager" here defending anyone as much as you are defending Dan Dakich. I am merely stating the coach is not saying anything we as fans don't already say. So to pretend that's unnecessary is the reason some were obsessed with LEO. The program sucks, you know it, we all know it, and someone needs to call it that and stop sugar coating it to keep from hurting your soft-shelled exterior.

Regarding CCC, I hope he does great things here but IMO he does need to be careful to not create too much carnage in transforming our program to the new IU.

Regarding CCC, I hope he does great things here but IMO he does need to be careful to not create too much carnage in transforming our program to the new IU.
I'm sure he's careful that the level of carnage is the amount he believes he needs to develop the team.

I don't know how any of the rest of us could know. Unless something was done that reflected poorly on the University. But the opposite seems the case, his work is likely to reflect well on the school. I think it has so far.

Has he created any carnage? Either way, I think all he's looking to do is establish a winning culture. If the result of that is seen as carnage, then that should tell us just how bad the culture is. He can absolutely gut it for all I care.

This is not to say I know or even think he's likely to be successful but he's not utilizing a unique bravado or perspective on how to lay a hard working foundation. He hasn't said anything bad about IU or unlike other past coaches (like CKW) talking about how the team/fans needs to start acting like a winning program. They need to get rid of the stench and each coach coming in realizes the garbage pile is much higher than they thought.

Right, Coach Cignetti reminds me of Coach Mallory's no nonsense approach to practices & games.
I remember when Mal called out his punter, Dan Strzynski (not sure about the spelling).

He said he needed to grow some hair on his chest. lol I remember some people saying how demeaning that was, but he became a pretty good punter.

I remember when Mal called out his punter, Dan Strzynski (not sure about the spelling).

He said he needed to grow some hair on his chest. lol I remember some people saying how demeaning that was, but he became a pretty good punter.
I don't remember that, hilarious. Bet he took some ribbing from his teammates, LOL. He was a good punter.

Looking at his final year... That 1989 team under performed. 5-6 . I felt at the time, before the vote announced, that the missed FG against Purdue to lose instead of win cost Anthony Thompson the Heisman. Instead of taking his long run to the house to win, or at least fighting for every yard, he went out of bounds at the 15 for a chip shot FG win. Then we missed. 5-6 ... No Heisman at 5 and 6 . (The other big reason I suppose was ESPN talking heads pushing Andre Ware at every opportunity. It was like a broken record from those idiots. )

I don't remember that, hilarious. Bet he took some ribbing from his teammates, LOL. He was a good punter.

Looking at his final year... That 1989 team under performed. 5-6 . I felt at the time, before the vote announced, that the missed FG against Purdue to lose instead of win cost Anthony Thompson the Heisman. Instead of taking his long run to the house to win, or at least fighting for every yard, he went out of bounds at the 15 for a chip shot FG win. Then we missed. 5-6 ... No Heisman at 5 and 6 . (The other big reason I suppose was ESPN talking heads pushing Andre Ware at every opportunity. It was like a broken record from those idiots. )
Yeah, I was at that game. AT was the workhorse all game. You could see his legs giving out on him during that run back. He went out of bounds because there was absolutely nothing left. The problem I had was IU then running AT up the middle three times to kill the clock. Surely they had something else to run?

Like Denardo running it up the middle every time when he had a chance to beat Penn St. or the Colts running Edgerin James up the middle four times against Wolfolk and the Pats to lose a winnable game that ended up costing the Colts home field advantage in the tourney. It seldom works.

Wow, what a complete tool. Not just a tool, but an idiot to boot. In no way at all is Cig insecure. Quite the opposite, from my point of view.

Just another in a long line of Dakich "hot takes". Every time I see one, I'm reminded of...

360_F_403463886_kuH04q6krNOGSSD53qQsTWaZMUTXEluo.jpg

100% he would have won the Heisman if he'd run it back for a TD. From my memory, I thought he got tackled, fighting for yards, but I could be wrong.

If we'd have made the FG (Scott Bonnell?), I still think he'd have won it, because the vote was still the closest in history, to that point. But maybe not.

Ware was a product of a system. AT deserved that Heisman, no question.

Yeah, I was at that game. AT was the workhorse all game. You could see his legs giving out on him during that run back. He went out of bounds because there was absolutely nothing left. The problem I had was IU then running AT up the middle three times to kill the clock. Surely they had something else to run?

Like Denardo running it up the middle every time when he had a chance to beat Penn St. or the Colts running Edgerin James up the middle four times against Wolfolk and the Pats to lose a winnable game that ended up costing the Colts home field advantage in the tourney. It seldom works.
That was all Mal. He would have run AT every down of every game if he could have.

Has he created any carnage? Either way, I think all he's looking to do is establish a winning culture. If the result of that is seen as carnage, then that should tell us just how bad the culture is. He can absolutely gut it for all I care.

This is not to say I know or even think he's likely to be successful but he's not utilizing a unique bravado or perspective on how to lay a hard working foundation. He hasn't said anything bad about IU or unlike other past coaches (like CKW) talking about how the team/fans needs to start acting like a winning program. They need to get rid of the stench and each coach coming in realizes the garbage pile is much higher than they thought.
Well…he did say some players were practicing like “the old IU”, which is obviously not a compliment.

It reminds me of CKW when he said of a freshman he was impressed with “he hasn’t been around here long enough to be soft”…that ruffled a few feathers. He took over a roster that was an endzone drop from being a bowl team and he took it down to the studs so to speak, then went 1-11 and said “losing humbles you”. I liked Wilson in spite of myself but knew too much to think he would ever be a real success here. I think CCC may have the bravado but hopefully not the abject stupidity/stubborn streak to go with it that was Kevin’s downfall.

Time will tell.

Hey at least we’ve got some interest back in this program. Anybody who can do that deserves some leeway.

I wonder what he meant by that.
That Indiana insiders are impressed by kids who are not impressing Cignetti (yet) as “players”?

How many “best ever” Indiana kids have we seen flame out fast at IU? 4 star guys who never found a field?

He isn’t gonna mollycoddle some player ego - he is gonna put a team on the field that HE thinks is the best one he has. “It is not our job to make them happy – it is their job to make us happy.“ And with the state of college sports today, where players go to the highest bidder, and there are no rules, and they can quit any day, a coach gets one first chance. This guy obviously isn’t gonna waste his.

Coach Dakich has apparently been living a soft media celebrity life that melted his memory - he must have forgotten how insiders like to interfere with a coach’s team, and how few have sack enough to shut that down.

Well…he did say some players were practicing like “the old IU”, which is obviously not a compliment.

It reminds me of CKW when he said of a freshman he was impressed with “he hasn’t been around here long enough to be soft”…that ruffled a few feathers. ...

Hey at least we’ve got some interest back in this program. Anybody who can do that deserves some leeway.
Yeah, CCC ruffles feathers a little, he'll need to back it up.

Difference between him and CKW will be one, he's not a complete ###, and two, he won't accept his defense giving up lot of points regularly.

It reminds me of CKW when he said of a freshman he was impressed with “he hasn’t been around here long enough to be soft”…that ruffled a few feathers. He took over a roster that was an endzone drop from being a bowl team and he took it down to the studs so to speak, then went 1-11 and said “losing humbles you”. I liked Wilson in spite of myself but knew too much to think he would ever be a real success here. I think CCC may have the bravado but hopefully not the abject stupidity/stubborn streak to go with it that was Kevin’s downfall.

Time will tell.

Right. I didn't say he complimented anything. Not sure where that comes into play here. I'll listen.

Kevin's downfall was not his stubbornness towards the the former program though, which is what is being referenced here. His downfall was in relation to his stubborness towards his leadership, his medically declined talent and the alcohol. I don't see how one can correlate the two coaches situations at this point based on CCC saying what we all know....the previous mindset was dog doo.

I hope he calls out every pitfall in the program he notices that aligns with what we've been seeing. He isn't denigrating players for not practicing hurt. He's simply calling out what he sees and outlining its based on a losing mentality that led us to where we were. That shows me he knows what he's doing.

I agree that all of it is worthless if the results don't follow in time and that he's bringing at least a newfound excitement that has been missing, though. We can only hope it turns out but we need to get rid of the hypothetical cavities, and I'm not saying the players themselves, but the mindset/culture pain points holding us back. Calling each one out to put a focus on what needs redirected is a sign of a strong leader.....for now. Ha

Difference between him and CKW will be one, he's not a complete ###, and two, he won't accept his defense giving up lot of points regularly.
I agree. This is what you get when you have someone who comes here with successful head coaching experience vs hiring a coordinator. There are growing pains learning how to do everything that goes into being a head coach. CCC seems to know exactly what he, as the HC, should be focusing on. Including how to use the media to his advantage.

Don't know that he is insulting it. I think he is just saying what he expects - if you really want to win, you have to do the things that go with winning.
It's wild. Should he be saying "we need to have the mindset this program had prior to me arriving?" No.

OK, then should he tip toe and pretend no one knows how bad this program has been and he took over a winner? No.

So he's out there telling national media that IU will be in Indy for the B1G title game next year. He's telling IU that PU, OSU and UM all suck. Hes pumping in confidence and excitement that honestly is to his detriment because hes setting insanely high goals. He's not setting low, more easily achievable goals. So he's calling out and trying to manifest the future by being upfront on everything. Him making reference to some previous players having a losing mindset because they have been losing lately.....its not earth shattering news. Ha.

I get what people may think but trust me, we need this, BAD. I don't want sunshine pumped up my rump, and if that offends a former or existing player (or an obnoxious egotistical radio host), then they're part of the problem. Adios. Coach interviewed the previous staff to rid as much of those players who hold that mindset as he could. There are certain to be a straggler or two but the cream always rises to the top.

And three…CCC has a track record of having overseen staff and also brought some with him who know and get his methods vs. KW who went through staff quicker than I go through underwear…

Time will tell.

Wilson would have done great things here had Fred not wimped out and pushed the panic button.

Reactions: red hornet
Wilson would have done great things here had Fred not wimped out and pushed the panic button.
I don’t agree. KW (my favorite IU coach in the last 30 years BTW) had the potential to be a very successful HC somewhere but had burned way too many bridges for it to be at IU. Recruiting had peaked and was on the downslope when the change was made.

I haven’t paid attention to Tulsa but it will be interesting to see if he has enough humility to learn from his mistakes at IU. I doubt he does.

CCC has talked openly about how helpful it is to make your mistakes on the small stage of D2, etc. Kevin made his in the B1G and has a rep to live down now. We’ll see.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT