ADVERTISEMENT

City of San Fran sued alleging policies created a "containment zone." Wow. Pretty interesting stuff

13565b1e-6ad6-4608-84d0-7ddbade26df3_text.gif

I like how the homeless have morphed into the “unhoused”.
It's definitely one of the language changes that seems to be six of one, half a dozen of the other, but I'm very interested in homeless issues so I'd welcome anyone who wants to sincerely discuss homeless policy.

Reactions: BradStevens
It's definitely one of the language changes that seems to be six of one, half a dozen of the other, but I'm very interested in homeless issues so I'd welcome anyone who wants to sincerely discuss homeless policy.
“Unhoused” implies they have had their homes taken away from them through no fault of their own.

Thats the reason for the change. Its neo Marxist terminology.

Reactions: DANC and 76-1
“Unhoused” implies they have had their homes taken away from them through no fault of their own.

Thats the reason for the change. Its neo Marxist terminology.
Meh. That doesn't seem like very serious first salvo in the discussion about the issue.

FWIW, I believe the most popular term these days among advocates is "a person experiencing homelessness". That's a term that seems to make a profound difference if a person is inclined to approach the issue seriously. Much more significant than "homeless" vs. "unhoused".

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
Meh. That doesn't seem like very serious first salvo in the discussion about the issue.

FWIW, I believe the most popular term these days among advocates is "a person experiencing homelessness". That's a term that seems to make a profound difference if a person is inclined to approach the issue seriously. Much more significant than "homeless" vs. "unhoused".
Too unwieldy, IMO.

Homeless people would work, making sure we emphasize they are people.

What we call homeless people is infinitely less important than how we eliminate homelessness.

We all know homelessness in and of itself isn’t the issue.

It’s mental illness, alcoholism, and drug addiction, overlain with a total absence of family support.

Too unwieldy, IMO.

Homeless people would work, making sure we emphasize they are people.

What we call homeless people is infinitely less important than how we eliminate homelessness.
Yeah, it is a mouthful. But I'm willing to take the hit if it helps. I agree with the emphasis on people though. That would be a step in the right direction, but it's not what happens in practice. One of the big challenges in addressing this issue is getting the people themselves to see themselves as people that have value to society (and that society has value to them). There's a lot of work in that, but one small part can be how we talk about them. Another big challenge is that it takes a lot of resources and the success rate isn't spectacularly high in terms of getting people off the street permanently.

We all know homelessness in and of itself isn’t the issue.

It’s mental illness, alcoholism, and drug addiction, overlain with a total absence of family support.
One of the huge challenges on the issue is that each person's journey to experiencing homelessness has its unique facets. There are typically multiple reasons combined - some of the ones you note above plus things like physical and sexual abuse, lack of education, economic instability (duh), and issues in caring for children. Developing a system that is able to address those many different issues while approaching each individual like an individual is extraordinarily difficult.

One of the huge challenges on the issue is that each person's journey to experiencing homelessness has its unique facets. There are typically multiple reasons combined - some of the ones you note above plus things like physical and sexual abuse, lack of education, economic instability (duh), and issues in caring for children. Developing a system that is able to address those many different issues while approaching each individual like an individual is extraordinarily difficult.
Sure, each person’s journey to homelessness is unique. But addictions seem to be a common element, or, if not, chronically poor mental health. The other factors you mention play a role, but from what I’ve seen, much if not all of that comes from multi-generational drug use.

Why aren't these people being arrested and locked up for vagrancy and illegal drug use? You'd be doing them and society a huge favor. Unreal.

Reactions: DANC
Sure, each person’s journey to homelessness is unique. But addictions seem to be a common element, or, if not, chronically poor mental health. The other factors you mention play a role, but from what I’ve seen, much if not all of that comes from multi-generational drug use.
Lets not overlook those who are only homeless because at one point in the past, they got......

MARRIED.

When they are gratuitously relieved from the stresses of home ownership, by the Ex wife.... Dying of a self medicated over dose after a few years of happy carefree/ women free life is a great way to go out. At least it's on your own terms!

Sure, but it’s pretty easy to identify shelter as a human need and argue we should make it a positive right in our society.

Tying living in a free apartment or house to getting help, attending therapy, getting education, etc. should be on the table.

Reactions: hoosboot

What’s wrong with just calling them homeless?

Maybe we go backwards and understand, why the indigenous people lost their lavish McMansions to understand exactly what can be a home. Ya ever watched those youtube videos of 3 level teepee's? Vrs what OUR TODAY society calls a home.
Point, I could care less about going off grid, but ya at least gotta GO OF/ AWAY/ TOTALLY GTFO away from the grid. Ya can't clam squatter rights to booth #4 at starbucks. That ain't how it works.

People owning multiple (I mean more than 2) real estate properties and AirBNBing them for income are part of the problem.

Reactions: Spartans9312
People owning multiple (I mean more than 2) real estate properties and AirBNBing them for income are part of the problem.
Maybe, but I think there are likely some larger housing inventory and urban planning issues that have contributed to the problem more significantly. Are you advocating for legislation making such situations illegal?

Maybe, but I think there are likely some larger housing inventory and urban planning issues that have contributed to the problem more significantly. Are you advocating for legislation making such situations illegal?
It would be impossible to enforce - so no. But it would be nice if people could just do the right thing. Taking 15 homes off the roster so one can rent them out to short term occupants ain’t helping.

Addiction is normal and natural human behavior. Reward based approaches to training and discipline result in continued pursuit of that reward.
The distinction occurs where the addiction results in
behavior which is objectively 'good' or 'bad'.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT