ADVERTISEMENT

Cincy chatter regarding Coach Neal and IU head spot

he sounds like he'd be a good choice, as would Neal; also the

asst from Vandy (Jewett) sounds intriguing. Presumably he has national recruiting contacts, in both SEC country and Pac-12 country.

Yeah....

same guys who recommended Coach Smith.

Although this guy wasn't their recommendation this time around.

Tough to argue with a guy that has had his success..

He has led one of the best recruiting efforts in recent years, at a school located only a few hours from Bloomington.

I agree. He seems like a great option **

nt
This post was edited on 7/1 11:42 AM by Bligedy

Re: Tough to argue with a guy that has had his success..

You know, I saw that guy when I was at the IU UofL game in May. I commented to the UofL fan that I was with that it was hard for me to understand how a guy could be that big when he had access to all of the equipment and trainers. I thought then that it was a poor representation. I also think there is a health argument to be made. Unfortunately this guy would not be my first choice.

Interesting credentials, but . . .

Can he continue the path that Coach Smith put IU baseball on to become part of the national stage? His coaching credentials are apparent, but would his "vision" be what IU is looking for? I guess the simple answer is that interviewing will ferret that out and we will learn the answer later.

I'm not sure what to think if these 2 guys

truly are the leading candidates. Glass promised a "national search" but the 2 leading candidates are both within 100 miles of IU? Hmm....I suppose that's a legit possibility, but I'd really like to know which (if any) SEC, Big 12, and PAC-12 guys were contacted.

Maybe some were and they just weren't interested in heading up a midwestern program. But I've been in Corvallis in mid-winter and I can assure folks the weather there gets just as ugly as it does in Bloomington, and that hasn't prevented Oregon State from fielding one of the best programs in the country.

Anyway, Lemonis' credentials as both a recruiter and a hitting coach are well-established. And apparently Maloney's very highly thought of within the coaching ranks--although he was essentially fired at his previous B1G gig in Ann Arbor.

From what I can gather, Maloney had good success at UM his 1st 8 years (including 3 B1G titles IIRC) but his last 2 seasons he had losing records. That, and UM had a new AD who presumably wanted his own guy at the helm.

If it's Lemonis, I'd be very curious to know who he'd have in mind as a pitching coach, given how much offensive firepower IU lost this season. I am a tad surprised that (apparently) no one from Smith's coaching tree (Neal, Googins, etc) is among the front-runners.

Interesting factoid: this season Louisville had 4 Indiana kids on its baseball roster, and natl. champs Vandy also had 4. Last season (when Vandy was supposed to win it all but didn't) VU actually had 5 Indiana kids on its roster.

This post was edited on 7/1 10:41 PM by welshman#

This post was edited on 7/1 10:47 PM by welshman#

Re: I'm hearing the new coach may come from Cincinnati

but will be Xavier coach Scott Googins, He's a former IU assistant and is coming off a regional experience and a Big East Tournament championship.

I'm sorry...

but that is a terrible reason to not hire a guy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT