ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Collins

New Pal Boiler

Freshman
Jun 30, 2010
if you hire Stevie instead of this guy, you are frickin' nuts. Would have taken NW to the Sweet Sixteen if it weren't for the porking from the refs.

He's the next superstar coach.

if you hire Stevie instead of this guy, you are frickin' nuts. Would have taken NW to the Sweet Sixteen if it weren't for the porking from the refs.

Collins played four years at Duke, including a national title team and a FF, and was an assistant at Duke for 13 years. Coach K is 70. Collins is an excellent young coach and I believe he is biding his time for the Duke job. In fact, I think it was all part of the plan that Collins took the NW job a few years ago. He needed to cut his head coaching teeth and why not do it at a low expectation school in a top 5 conference.

Collins played four years at Duke, including a national title team and a FF, and was an assistant at Duke for 13 years. Coach K is 70. Collins is an excellent young coach and I believe he is biding his time for the Duke job. In fact, I think it was all part of the plan that Collins took the NW job a few years ago. He needed to cut his head coaching teeth and why not do it at a low expectation school in a top 5 conference.
If Coach K retires in 4-5 years, and Collins has it rolling at IU, I don't think he leaves. Knight never went back to OSU.

Describe rolling? Two Big Ten titles in 4 years? That could get him canned here if it doesn't include Elite 8's or better.
Crean never was "rolling" at IU. Far too many flameouts, far too much unrealized potential, far too many cliff drops, far too much inconsistency. He had 9 years to make it work at IU, and that's a lifetime in today's college sports landscape.

I don't wish him ill, but he had his chance and it didn't work. IU rightly decided to move on.

Crean never was "rolling" at IU. Far too many flameouts, far too much unrealized potential, far too many cliff drops, far too much inconsistency. He had 9 years to make it work at IU, and that's a lifetime in today's college sports landscape.

I don't wish him ill, but he had his chance and it didn't work. IU rightly decided to move on.

The nine years thing is way off, the first three years were a rebuild. The next 5 years, three Sweet 16's, two Big Ten titles. That isn't good enough, and that will scare away some coaches knowing how tough the conference is and knowing the NCAA tournament is so unpredictable.

The nine years thing is way off, the first three years were a rebuild. The next 5 years, three Sweet 16's, two Big Ten titles. That isn't good enough, and that will scare away some coaches knowing how tough the conference is and knowing the NCAA tournament is so unpredictable.
The first two were a rebuild, the third showed he likely wasn't up to the job. Three sweet 16's were great, but that was a destination for you and an expectation of greater things to come for longer time IU fans who rightly suspected he wasn't capable of bigger things. Recruiting began to slump as high school and AAU coaches started to become aware of issues within the program, and roster instability and mismanagement created unrealized potential in the "up" years and drastic fall offs in the "down" ones.

Nine years is more than enough time to evaluate that he'd topped out. It was time for a change. Good luck to him.

Reactions: evvcabinetman
Yes it will scare off the bad coaches but not the coaches that win on a consistent basis and that's what we want. Is that ok with you? You think being a consistent winner is impossible? Look at other blue bloods and see if they fall apart at the end of every season.

Describe rolling? Two Big Ten titles in 4 years? That could get him canned here if it doesn't include Elite 8's or better.
Crean put together a couple really good teams at IU, but never really built a program. Collins has built a program at NW, and would do the same at IU. I think MOST IU fans would appreciate the difference.

5 missed NCAA tourneys in 9 years is not good

Bruce Webber won 2 B1G titles in a row, then finished 2nd in year three.

Rollin baby, just roll right out of town...

If like the guy a lot, the timing isn't right for IU but somebody will snap him up soon.

Make no mistake, Glass' decision here is VERY difficult. LOTS of potential with several young good coaches who would likely take the job but which one would win consistently and often? Of all the variables, I'd look at Indiana connections as most important. If the next coach can get the best Indiana ballers to once again seriously consider IU, he can win big. Davis and Crean ultimately couldn't do that.

I like Collins, but you do realize they probably would have lost Thursday if not for a Vanderbilt brain cramp. Right? That missed call hurt them, the technical buried them.

No we will dominate you with Donovan. Sorry you had your time to shine and still have not won anything and when we hire a great coach you will go back to being irrelevant again.

IU has never "dominated" Purdue for an extended period of time though. Why would it change now?

Yes.

Lonzo = Wade

This somehow makes him a "fraud"? Still not seeing your rather biased point.

Do have to ask...I didn't see the Iowa St PU game but saw a photo today of a bench player wearing a "Purdue Mentality" t shirt. I have seen others wear Mentality shirts but no way is PU staff dumb enough to wear that...no freaking way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT