ADVERTISEMENT

Chevron Doctrine Overruled

Great, liberals can feel free to storm the court Monday and prevent the immunity decision from being handed down. It appears Roberts sees nothing wrong with that.
It might not save Trump, according to Smith and Co. Their argument is narrower they say.

Re the decision, Brown Jackson was in the majority, and Barrett--who many on here have referred to as a Trump lackey--was in the dissent.

Liberals used to think it was a good thing to limit prosecutor's powers to enlarge the scope of a statute.

Reactions: IUCrazy2
It might not save Trump, according to Smith and Co. Their argument is narrower they say.

Re the decision, Brown Jackson was in the majority, and Barrett--who many on here have referred to as a Trump lackey--was in the dissent.

Liberals used to think it was a good thing to limit prosecutor's powers to enlarge the scope of a statute.

IF, IF the Wiki is right, where is anyone wanting this expanded:

(c) Whoever corruptly—
(1) alters, destroys, mutilates, or conceals a record, document, or other object, or attempts to do so, with the intent to impair the object's integrity or availability for use in an official proceeding; or(2) otherwise obstructs, influences, or impedes any official proceeding, or attempts to do so,
shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both.
The term "official proceeding" is defined in 18 U.S.C. § 1515(a)(1) to include proceedings before federal judges, Congress, federal government agencies, and regulators of insurance businesses.

tenor.gif

Just to round out the day, anybody know where Justice Thomas is being taken by his friends for the Summer break?

Attorney General Merrick Garland said in a statement that he was “disappointed” by the Supreme Court’s decision in the January 6 rioters case but added that the Department of Justice “will take appropriate steps to comply” with the ruling.
“January 6 was an unprecedented attack on the cornerstone of our system of government — the peaceful transfer of power from one administration to the next. I am disappointed by today’s decision, which limits an important federal statute that the Department has sought to use to ensure that those most responsible for that attack face appropriate consequences,” Garland said in a statement.
Garland said the DOJ will continue to “use all available tools to hold accountable those criminally responsible for the January 6 attack on our democracy.”
“The vast majority of the more than 1,400 defendants charged for their illegal actions on January 6 will not be affected by this decision,” he added.
Approximately 249 cases involving the obstruction charge are pending at the center of Friday’s ruling, according to federal prosecutors. About 52 people were convicted and sentenced with the obstruction charge as their only felony. Of those, 27 people are currently incarcerated, according to prosecutors.

Brutal news for libs. This was their baby

Attorney General Merrick Garland said in a statement that he was “disappointed” by the Supreme Court’s decision in the January 6 rioters case but added that the Department of Justice “will take appropriate steps to comply” with the ruling.
“January 6 was an unprecedented attack on the cornerstone of our system of government — the peaceful transfer of power from one administration to the next. I am disappointed by today’s decision, which limits an important federal statute that the Department has sought to use to ensure that those most responsible for that attack face appropriate consequences,” Garland said in a statement.
Garland said the DOJ will continue to “use all available tools to hold accountable those criminally responsible for the January 6 attack on our democracy.”
“The vast majority of the more than 1,400 defendants charged for their illegal actions on January 6 will not be affected by this decision,” he added.
Approximately 249 cases involving the obstruction charge are pending at the center of Friday’s ruling, according to federal prosecutors. About 52 people were convicted and sentenced with the obstruction charge as their only felony. Of those, 27 people are currently incarcerated, according to prosecutors.

Did you read what you cut and pasted? Literally from your own post:

“The vast majority of the more than 1,400 defendants charged for their illegal actions on January 6 will not be affected by this decision"

I think people who broke into the Capitol and/or entered the building illegally, destroyed and/or defaced property and/or harmed anyone while in the Capitol should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Same goes for those with intent. You shouldn't be able to enter the US Capitol illegally chanting that you want to hang the Vice President or find the Speaker of the House while the Vice President and numerous other elected officials are in there about to perform his Constitutionally mandated responsibility of certifying an election.

I guess I'm weird like that though.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
IF, IF the Wiki is right, where is anyone wanting this expanded:

The term "official proceeding" is defined in 18 U.S.C. § 1515(a)(1) to include proceedings before federal judges, Congress, federal government agencies, and regulators of insurance businesses.
It all hinges on how to read the word "otherwise." Regardless, it doesn't mean anyone goes free automatically. It just means that some of the J6 might have their indictments quashed if they are dependent on the broader reading of the statute.

It all hinges on how to read the word "otherwise." Regardless, it doesn't mean anyone goes free automatically. It just means that some of the J6 might have their indictments quashed if they are dependent on the broader reading of the statute.
Would not the "or" offset readings of "otherwise"? And with otherwise I could see problematic, but or precludes the previous from being required.

So I'll start by chiming in on this one.

Judicial decisions like this are the primary reason I voted for Donald Trump in 2016 -- despite all the enmity I had (and still have) for him. I'm not going to be voting for him again. But, I do have to say: I do not at all regret voting for him previously. And it always puzzled me that so many conservatives couldn't get over that hump to do it. This is important, important stuff.

I hope to see the court continue forward in this fashion. IMO, there's a lot to fix to get our body of law back in sync with the ratified Constitutional text...and to move away from Thurgood Marshall's famous judicial philosophy of "You do what you think is right and let the law catch up."

When Trump’s NY cases are overturned will he be able to sue New York?
No. The state and prosecutors have absolute immunity.
No. Malicious prosecution is a civil action and trump would not win on that claim
I think the applicable tort would be malicious abuse of process. Maybe also some kind of constitutional deprivation under section 1983. Absolute immunity would bar any claim.

No. The state and prosecutors have absolute immunity.

I think the applicable tort would be malicious abuse of process. Maybe also some kind of constitutional deprivation under section 1983. Absolute immunity would bar any claim.
Malicious prosecution is a civil action for filing frivolous charges. I trust that’s what stoll was referring to. Abuse can arise from crim or civil but again given the specific case malicious is it and not a winner. I think off the top of my head

Can’t talk

Have to revise about 2 weeks worth of lectures for the Fall semester!

Lots to chew on

Expect more Executive Orders
Chevron never made sense . It’s contrary to how Colorado treats bureaucracies and all other states that I am aware of. Good to see that review of agency decisions is again in the hands of the courts.

The SEC case yesterday and this one go a long way towards holding back the swamp.

Malicious prosecution is a civil action for filing frivolous charges. I trust that’s what stoll was referring to. Abuse can arise from crim or civil but again given the specific case malicious is it and not a winner. I think off the top of my head
Mal Pros requires the P to show success with the underlying action. Trump lost. Abuse of Process requires a showing that the real purpose of the underlying litigation was collateral to the merits. Such as election or campaign interference.

I think a few state officials admitted to this collateral purpose.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Which one of you is this?

The folly of this perspective is that it resides on the assumption that, under Chevron, corporations have no influence over the regulatory state.

Regulation has long been used as a vehicle to protect the interests of those in catbird seats.

It was the case before Chevron, during Chevron, and I suspect after Chevron.

Who knows how to find Amicus briefs in the original decision? Since it was the outcome the Reagan Administration fought for, I think it would be fair to assume a lot of conservative and corporate groups may have filed briefs championing the outcome eventually handed down.

It seems no matter what side liberals are on, they lose this case. Gorsuch should have just wrote, "courts must defer to the GOP".

Who knows how to find Amicus briefs in the original decision? Since it was the outcome the Reagan Administration fought for, I think it would be fair to assume a lot of conservative and corporate groups may have filed briefs championing the outcome eventually handed down.

It seems no matter what side liberals are on, they lose this case. Gorsuch should have just wrote, "courts must defer to the GOP".
Roberts wrote for the court in Loper Bright. Gorsuch wrote a concurrence that no other justice joined.

But I think you’re giving short-shrift to the underlying legal conflict here. The APA explicitly requires courts reviewing agency actions to interpret all matters pertaining to law (as opposed to “deferring” to agency interpretations).

Reactions: Spartans9312
Roberts wrote for the court in Loper Bright. Gorsuch wrote a concurrence that no other justice joined.

But I think you’re giving short-shrift to the underlying legal conflict here. The APA explicitly requires courts reviewing agency actions to interpret all matters pertaining to law (as opposed to “deferring” to agency interpretations).
Again, the ruling you hate is what Republicans wanted. The ruling here is saying that law was crap is what Republicans wanted. No matter what position Republicans take on this, miraculously they win.

Great, liberals can feel free to storm the court Monday and prevent the immunity decision from being handed down. It appears Roberts sees nothing wrong with that.
I mean, they kind of dealt with some of that already after they overturned Roe...except it was people outside their house who were planning to murder them.

Again, the ruling you hate is what Republicans wanted. The ruling here is saying that law was crap is what Republicans wanted. No matter what position Republicans take on this, miraculously they win.
All that I want, on any issue, is a proper interpretation and application of the law.

- Ratified Constitutional text, first.

- Statutory federal/state law, if the above is satisfied.

- Relevant precedential case law, if both of the above are satisfied.

In this case, Chevron v. NRDC contained an inherent conflict with a federal statute - which mandates that courts sort out matters of law, rather than having them defer to administrative agencies as Chevron proscribed.

What is the liberal case for keeping Chevron as is? It seems to me that everyone from all sides of the political spectrum would want to have judicial review of agency interpretations of their own power and authority.

FWIW, I don’t buy for a second the worry that overturning Chevron will cause agencies to become ineffective. Their decisions will still be presumptively valid which is how administrative decisions are treated in all other contexts.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
All that I want, on any issue, is a proper interpretation and application of the law.

- Ratified Constitutional text, first.

- Statutory federal/state law, if the above is satisfied.

- Relevant precedential case law, if both of the above are satisfied.

In this case, Chevron v. NRDC contained an inherent conflict with a federal statute - which mandates that courts sort out matters of law, rather than having them defer to administrative agencies as Chevron proscribed.
Your criteria still leave a big gap. Most cases that reach the SCt are indeterminate using those criteria. Law isn’t math.

What does this mean for J6 protestors thrown in prison? Will they be freed? Can they sue?
Only a few were convicted only of obstruction. Most were convicted of violent crimes. They’re not hostages, they’re criminals. The ruling only narrows the obstruction charges so all the cases will be reviewed. It could be that Trump’s obstruction charges and/or convictions will stand. They definitely stand in the documents case since. Those are classic obstruction.

I mean, they kind of dealt with some of that already after they overturned Roe...except it was people outside their house who were planning to murder them.
And those people should be charged to the fullest extent of the law. I see no reason people standing before gallows chanting "hang Mike Pence" deserve less?

Reactions: UncleMark
What is the liberal case for keeping Chevron as is? It seems to me that everyone from all sides of the political spectrum would want to have judicial review of agency interpretations of their own power and authority.

FWIW, I don’t buy for a second the worry that overturning Chevron will cause agencies to become ineffective. Their decisions will still be presumptively valid which is how administrative decisions are treated in all other contexts.

I don't care so much about Chevron, I am just pointing out Reagan and Gorsuch's mother WANTED Chevron when it suited Republican aims. It no longer does, so the court suddenly finds it bad law.

And those people should be charged to the fullest extent of the law. I see no reason people standing before gallows chanting "hang Mike Pence" deserve less?
That guy was prosecuted, but many of them weren't because they were said to be exercising their right to protest. I do accept your terms though, people violently protesting should ALL face the same type of repercussions the January 6th folks did. So bring on the months to years of incarceration while awaiting trial and then the onerous sentences.

There is a perception that these people were made an example of in a way that the left, who violently protests far, far more frequently than the right, were not. We won't agree and I know that from prior discussions on this but that is the issue the Supreme Court dealt with. The governmwnt stepped out of bounds with sentencing of these particular people because of the axe to grind. It was disparate treatment.

What about pulling a fire alarm?
Are you seriously equating that with rioting, assaulting police and criminal trespass? All of it because they were duped into believing the big lie about a stolen election. You always claim not to be a Trumpster, but you use the same silly defenses for Trump and the J6 criminals that open and proud Trumpsters use.

Last edited:

That statement reads as if written by a solid law and order Republican.

Reactions: UncleMark
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT