ADVERTISEMENT

Cam Newton

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...panthers-laughs-female-reporter-media-session

Danon yogurt reportedly ends endorsement deal over Newton's comments. Seems like lots of folks are bothered by that. I don’t fully understand why.
I'm not sure it's something he should lose endorsements over, but I certainly understand why people are bothered by it. He was condescending and embarrassed a reporter just doing her job. I'd be willing to bet I can out talk an awful lot of men on sports, and Cam seemed to think that was something funny.

I'm not sure it's something he should lose endorsements over, but I certainly understand why people are bothered by it. He was condescending and embarrassed a reporter just doing her job. I'd be willing to bet I can out talk an awful lot of men on sports, and Cam seemed to think that was something funny.
Sure, but it's not interfering with his football job. The Panthers and/or NFL may have rights too so they get to do whatever they want in accord with their rules (not suggesting they will or should, just teasing out the distinction with Danon), but arguably they'd be limiting his specific job that has far less to do with comments than with what he does on the field. In contrast, the endorsement deal is based on image only; of course advertisers care about this sort of thing; it's the entire essence of endorsement; totally their call. That's why I don't get why people are frustrated by that.

I also don't care whether the reporter has made her own inappropriate tweets in years past (she has). Totally irrelevant to the issue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT