ADVERTISEMENT

Cal's replacement

Stevens is turning Boston into a Duke pipe-line...setting up his take-over when Coach K steps down.

They'll get a huge name. I can guarantee you that. UK is not going to settle for mediocrity. That's why they're always an elite program.

That said, Cal could be there for 15 more years easily.

They'll get a huge name. I can guarantee you that. UK is not going to settle for mediocrity. That's why they're always an elite program.

Calipari is pushing 60: he's getting up there.

Brad Stevens is a pipe dream: ain't happening, not in a million years.

Hasn't Billy D rejected UK 2-3 times already? It would be pretty pathetic to go begging for Billy again.

Billie Gillespie says high and Tubby was not an elite coach as well.
Tubby won a title and went to 4 Elite 8s. He wasn't top 5 at the time but he was certainly elite.

They made a mistake with Gillispie and fixed it after 2 years. What we should've done with Crean after 3. Instead we let that clown stay for 9 years. I can guarantee you UK will never do that.

Calipari is pushing 60: he's getting up there.

Brad Stevens is a pipe dream: ain't happening, not in a million years.

Hasn't Billy D rejected UK 2-3 times already? It would be pretty pathetic to go begging for Billy again.
Cal is 58. 15 years would make him 73.

Boeheim is 72 and still going. Coach K is 70 with no end in sight. If Cal wants to coach until he's 80 he'll have the opportunity and still be elite. Let's hope he doesn't but if he wants to, he'll be able to. His brand isn't going to diminish anytime soon.

except for Billy Clyde, Tubby 10 loss Smith, and Eddie Sutton.

Last edited:
Tubby won a title and went to 4 Elite 8s. He wasn't top 5 at the time but he was certainly elite.

They made a mistake with Gillispie and fixed it after 2 years. What we should've done with Crean after 3. Instead we let that clown stay for 9 years. I can guarantee you UK will never do that.
I meant when they were hired and at that time Tubby was not elite

I meant when they were hired and at that time Tubby was not elite
He wasn't elite while he was there either. Pitino recruited most of his championship team.

There's a reason he's called Ten Loss Tubby by UK fans. Though he's 2 games better than Twelve Loss Tommy, that doesn't make him an elite coach.

Cal is 58. 15 years would make him 73.

Boeheim is 72 and still going. Coach K is 70 with no end in sight. If Cal wants to coach until he's 80 he'll have the opportunity and still be elite. Let's hope he doesn't but if he wants to, he'll be able to. His brand isn't going to diminish anytime soon.

Coach K and Boeheim are the exceptions. Most coaches are done in their 60s. On top of that, Cal will have tons of opportunities to take a NBA job.

His son graduates in 3 years, after that, Cal will be in the NBA

I doubt Stevens is returning to college but if he did, I don't think he'd rule out UK depending on his other options.

Didn't D. Casey go to UK. LOL Since then he has turned into a fine coach for the Raptors. He is 60 though so maybe to old.

I don't know that Cal is going to the NBA to coach. Maybe there will be to much money to pass on but he won't won't have the advantages he does at UK. I think his last coaching stop is where he is. He is an elite recruiter and motivator. Maybe in the NBA he could recruit elite FAs but I think the motivating part kind of goes out the window a lot at that level.

I could see him getting paid well to transition the G-League to a new era where the high level recruits from HS go there for 2-3 years or whatever the NBA eventually moves to for developing under 21 players. That league is a sleeping cash cow especially if players out of HS have to go there for some time. Imagine if the next Garnett, Lebron or Kobe were playing there out of HS. Or Lonzo. Arenas would fill up and there would be nice TV contracts.

And people have been saying this for 5+ years now.

His son has been a basketball player at UK for 5+ years?

Got a lot of friends who are UK fans and its pretty common knowledge in the fan base to not expect Cal to last much past his son being at UK.

Are they right? Who knows, but if you visit the UK board from time to time, they are already lining up a successor.

His son has been a basketball player at UK for 5+ years?

Got a lot of friends who are UK fans and its pretty common knowledge in the fan base to not expect Cal to last much past his son being at UK.

Are they right? Who knows, but if you visit the UK board from time to time, they are already lining up a successor.
You ever considered he talks up the rumors of him leaving just for leverage? It should be pretty obvious by now that this is what Cal does. Every year.

You ever considered he talks up the rumors of him leaving just for leverage? It should be pretty obvious by now that this is what Cal does. Every year.

If that were true, then he wouldn't have any leverage for the next 3 years because his son is still in school and there is no risk of him leaving, right?

In terms of when he decides to hang it up, nothing will surprise me.

I think UK fans feel confident he'll stay until at least his son is done here. He could retire as soon as his son goes out. He could go 10 years after.

I don't think he'll go to the NBA at this point. He talks up how much he loves changing lives, and how it's about the players and not him or the school.

The NBA aint gonna pay him more money.
He's had good opportunities that he hasn't taken.

I can't read the article. Apparently I'm banned even though I never go there. Probably got banned after IU beat them in the tourney.

At least Purdue can say they have something in common with UK.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
He's not leaving. Not now. Not when his son graduates. He has no reason to. He'll retire from UK.
Only way he leaves is for a GM job and I'm sure he would only leave for certain GM positions. I see him at UK for 10+ years no doubt. Like you said, why leave? One thing I do know, whoever comes in behind him will have huge shoes to fill, even with an elite coach.

Reactions: fpeaugh
I remember Calipari saying after they won that he probably wouldn't stay at UK for more than 8-9 years. Was the comment to squeeze more money from UK or was he telling the truth? It is hard to tell with him.

I believe he was counting on another NCAA title (or investigation) and greater interest from the NBA. There might have been some interest, but not at the level that has made him leave. After waiting this long, he might have decided to stay for the duration, or he might have decided to wait to coach his son. I could see him test the NBA waters again.or have interested in the Knicks, Lakers, or a major market that would allow him to have complete control.

When he leaves, UK will offer ridiculous amounts of money to someone. I am just interested in what that next coach will find and if they try to run the program in a way that their fans will support.

The better question is: Where will Crean end up?
Coaching or Broadcasting?
If Coaching, where:
At what level?
I could see Crean in the G-League, or the MAC Conference.
Or a NBA Assistant coach

In terms of when he decides to hang it up, nothing will surprise me.

I think UK fans feel confident he'll stay until at least his son is done here. He could retire as soon as his son goes out. He could go 10 years after.

I don't think he'll go to the NBA at this point. He talks up how much he loves changing lives, and how it's about the players and not him or the school.

The NBA aint gonna pay him more money.
He's had good opportunities that he hasn't taken.

s-a8376d63c75bf9f7874fa2125e31ba3ac01beebe.gif

I don't think UK's next coach is a head coach right now. I think it will be someone who shines later towards the end of Cal's career.

Reactions: Hoogolf
Stevens is a Knight guy... why would he coach at uk?? Lol no chance
What does "Stevens is a Knight guy" even mean? I mean seriously, did he coach under him? Play under him? Work for him in some capacity? Please clarify.

The better question is: Where will Crean end up?
Coaching or Broadcasting?
If Coaching, where:
At what level?
I could see Crean in the G-League, or the MAC Conference.
Or a NBA Assistant coach
Why would the NBA want anything to do with Crean? The guy who had 5 players drafted in 9 years. Out of over 500 guys drafted while he was the coach at IU, he produced 5 of them...or 1%. There are literally dozens of coaches out there with a better track record.

His best chance is a mid major going forward. That's the level he belongs at.

Reactions: Hoogolf
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT