ADVERTISEMENT

Cafe Pizzeria

Right down on Kirkwood, about 3 blocks West of Nicks. Only went in there a couple times. Oddly enough, in a recent poll conducted by the HT, it was voted as the top pizza place in Bloomington according to reader polls.
I recall a place back in B-town when I was a kid that I loved their pizza: House of Ivanhoe
They were reportedly run by the mob but made some good pizza. Does Swing-In pizza still operate? They were another of the originals in place before Noble Romans.

Right down on Kirkwood, about 3 blocks West of Nicks. Only went in there a couple times. Oddly enough, in a recent poll conducted by the HT, it was voted as the top pizza place in Bloomington according to reader polls.
I recall a place back in B-town when I was a kid that I loved their pizza: House of Ivanhoe
They were reportedly run by the mob but made some good pizza. Does Swing-In pizza still operate? They were another of the originals in place before Noble Romans.
Sadly no. Rocky’s was the old recipe and of course he’s gone. Cafe was the last of the old school ones. Nicks it is I guess.

I've never been in there, and I guess I never will. I've walked by it about a million times, though.

I'm sure this is an old wives' tale, but I had always heard that location was where Hoagy Carmichael wrote Stardust. Obviously wasn't the Cafe Pizzeria at the time, but whatever was located there in the '20's.

Reactions: ulrey
They didn't serve beer so it wasn't a place I wanted to go for pizza. Speaking of local joints closing, I was more bummed to see The Irish Lion close.
No way,the Irish Lion is closing?
My wife and I went back in May,had a great meal and service.

They didn't serve beer so it wasn't a place I wanted to go for pizza. Speaking of local joints closing, I was more bummed to see The Irish Lion close.
We used it as a late nite delivery joint to McNutt in the late 60's if you were lite on cash Swing Inn was the ticket. 2 bucks for a 16 inch salami (poor man's peperoni)

We used it as a late nite delivery joint to McNutt in the late 60's if you were lite on cash Swing Inn was the ticket. 2 bucks for a 16 inch salami (poor man's peperoni)
Swing-In was also the go-to pizza place in the late 70's when light on cash, and to McNutt Bordner

Hoagy wrote Stardust where Buffalouie's is now. The Book Nook was in that building and then moved locations and Gables opened in that space.
Yep just got that confirmed from my brother

Hoagy wrote Stardust where Buffalouie's is now. The Book Nook was in that building and then moved locations and Gables opened in that space.
I have fond memories of the Gables during the early 70’s. It was dimly lit with walls covered in IU memorabilia. We’re talking the likes of Pete Pihos, Taliaferro, and the Katzenjammer Kids, of course. Branch was still big back then with his two banners. The Gables’ two pinball machines were heavily used. From within the hidden shadows of the heavily shellacked plywood booths their pizza was decent and grilled cheese just like mom’s, plus they were open late for the munch-heads and peeping Tom’s, the careless perverts in for a rest from running. So, to say needlessly, I was thrilled…no, better delighted to find Buffalouie’s having retained the same wall hangings. It’s a very collegiate atmosphere, second only to Nick’s. Their bone-in wings are voted best in Btown. They get my vote, should I ever encounter such a survey same way said.

Reactions: 76-1
No. Cafe Pizzeria is at the end of the block that Nick’s is on. Back in the early 70s, Pizzeria supplied the pizzas and stroms to Nick’s. The pizzas were run up the block to Nicks. Obviously before the pizza ovens were installed in Nicks.

Was there a pizza place in the gables years ago? Seem to remeber getting large thick crust slice that wasn't very good but a cheap lunch. The color orange comes to mind.

Was there a pizza place in the gables years ago? Seem to remeber getting large thick crust slice that wasn't very good but a cheap lunch. The color orange comes to mind.

Bloomingpedia says it was a Garcia's Pizza from 1980-1996. I remember it being Roly Poly and then Buffalouie's moving there when I was at IU.

Bloomingpedia says it was a Garcia's Pizza from 1980-1996. I remember it being Roly Poly and then Buffalouie's moving there when I was at IU.
Garcia's was a lunch spot when I was there. A slice and a coke for a couple of bucks. You really had to be a fan of dough. Garcias was very much like a thick slice of Italian bread with sauce and toppings.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
No. Cafe Pizzeria is at the end of the block that Nick’s is on. Back in the early 70s, Pizzeria supplied the pizzas and stroms to Nick’s. The pizzas were run up the block to Nicks. Obviously before the pizza ovens were installed in Nicks.
Yep - and Ernie was the pizza runner. He worked up quite a sweat running all of the pizzas that Ruthie sold!

Yep

Gacia's that is it. Cheap bready slice but bad. I think it was an Illinois chain and a big deal at U of I
They called it “The Flying Tomato.”
Had a balloon as well that they flew in the area.

image-asset.jpeg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT