ADVERTISEMENT

Building weak minds one student at a time.

Disagree. Strongly.
How did your school use it?

urwqa.jpg

This person is set to be the next president of Harvard

• Wow
Reactions: DANC

This person is set to be the next president of Harvard
Wokee. Proud day for the Haitian nation tho

Reactions: NPT

Speaking of silliness and needing shouted down. This stuff is ridiculous
The "Elimination of Harmful Language Initiative" just screams Monty Python skit.

Laughable. Of course this didn't happen til Andrew Luck registered for classes again. Coincidence? I think not.

The big academic news recently is that two more universities signed on to the University of Chicago statement about free expression. The astounding, disappointing, and bewildering issue is why hasn't every university agreed to the university of Chicago statement? The idea that students can or should be “protected” from disagreeable or even offensive speech and ideas with safe spaces and censorship is not only crazy but builds weak minds and weak people. Is it any wonder that social media, our politics, and our country is such a mess when we are producing so many supposedly educated people who lack the mental and emotional basics to deal with all ideas and speech?

The statement:

fundamental commitment is to the principle that debate or deliberation may not be suppressed because the ideas put forth are thought by some or even by most members of the University community to be offensive, unwise, immoral, or wrong-headed. It is for the individual members of the University community, not for the University as an institution, to make those judgments for themselves, and to act on those judgments not by seeking to suppress speech, but by openly and vigorously contesting the ideas that they oppose. Indeed, fostering the ability of members of the University community to engage in such debate and deliberation in an effective and responsible manner is an essential part of the University’s educational mission.” (My emphasis)​

Read the whole thing.
So if you have 2 students at a university and they disagree on issues then who is censored? How do they choose which one of the students gets the, "safe place"?

So if you have 2 students at a university and they disagree on issues then who is censored? How do they choose which one of the students gets the, "safe place"?
Science, Van, science....... lol

Don't worry though, soon we will have algorithms to make sure that you don't accidentally microagress someone. It will just replace your speech with something more palatable to all the wackos our university system is pumping out.

• Angry
Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
Research institutions do a helluva lot more than just teach students.

Plus, that student-to-faculty ratio needs to be read in the context of most students taking five or six classes per semester.
I'm OK with the student/faculty ratio. Almost one admin position per student seems a bit high.

I'm OK with the student/faculty ratio. Almost one admin position per student seems a bit high.
A lot of those admin positions are actually research staff. For example, 10% of their staff is made up of workers at the National Accelerator Laboratory.

I have no idea if there is or is not bloat. I'm just saying looking at those numbers without context doesn't demonstrate that there is, and it's quite misleading for someone to compare the staff size to the size of the student body, without reminding readers that the University does a whole host of things that don't involve students.

Reactions: UncleMark

A lot of those admin positions are actually research staff. For example, 10% of their staff is made up of workers at the National Accelerator Laboratory.

Thanks Goat. Like IUINSB, that admin staff number made be wonder WTF they were all doing. And I'm quite aware of all the "hidden" employment that is involved in running a major university. It's like running a city in may respects.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT