ADVERTISEMENT

Buck is back …

When he's in the groove he's both humorous and informative...

I know he has his detractors (as a radio color analyst), but when he's "on" he's good...

Hopefully he'll stay entertained (by this years team) and in turn entertain us...
I got the sense that he had a touch of burnout … which a sabbatical… and new HC may have cured.

The new AD and President may have helped too.

Isn't this his 3rd stint?

I rarely listen to the radio broadcast, so I don't care a lot either way. Buck can be funny and he used to be really informative when he was 'in' with the coaching staff, but I fear that faded a long time ago. And quite frankly, Fisch kinda sucks at football.

I’ll be one of the few to say it but Fisch is not good at play-by-play in football. He gets too excited to the point he doesn’t tell you what happened until moments later. It’s just’s an animated scream and a garble of words. You know something good happened but are left momentarily wondering what the hell the play was.

I think Buck Suhr may have been given a near lethal cocktail of LEO and is now coming out of recovery.

Need to start identifying someone for down the road. IU turns out sports media folks left and right. Gotta be 3 or 4 somewhere worth their salt. Don is damn near as old as me. Buck or Lewis making the change to play by play would be band aids.

Need to start identifying someone for down the road. IU turns out sports media folks left and right. Gotta be 3 or 4 somewhere worth their salt. Don is damn near as old as me. Buck or Lewis making the change to play by play would be band aids.
The days of 50, 30, 15 year tenures at one school like Fisher, are a thing of the past... Hosts being in one spot for much more than 5 years will be a rarity.... The business of sports broadcasting is changing as much as NIL is changing college athletics.

So, when Fish finally retires I won't be surprised to see a new host every 5 years or so and a revolving door of color guys. It's been a while since individual schools had any say, beyond stating their preference, over who hosts their broadcasts.... even in radio.

So, when Fish finally retires I won't be surprised to see a new host every 5 years or so and a revolving door of color guys. It's been a while since individual schools had any say, beyond stating their preference, over who hosts their broadcasts.... even in radio.
I think Fisch, in his broadcasted copyright statement, says the university has approval rights for the broadcast talent

Gees, tough crowd. I go to the games so I really don't know
how he performs. I do like to listen to his after game comments.
Agreed. I haven't listened to Don on football for a long, long time. I do like his post-game show, but I usually get back to the car to maybe just catch the end of it.

From what I heard of Buck, I like his honesty and I appreciate his honesty as a real IU fan.

I really like Lewis, particularly on his podcasts. I think he's got a great future on BTN and probably beyond.

It's the new indiana football...should have brought in someone fresh.

happy major league GIF by Morgan Creek

Agreed. I haven't listened to Don on football for a long, long time. I do like his post-game show, but I usually get back to the car to maybe just catch the end of it.

From what I heard of Buck, I like his honesty and I appreciate his honesty as a real IU fan.

I really like Lewis, particularly on his podcasts. I think he's got a great future on BTN and probably beyond.
He was good when he first started but became a train wreck the last few years. Fischer and Buck would have random conversations when gameplay was happening.

I could not find the entire thing but even this dude called it out.

I’ll be one of the few to say it but Fisch is not good at play-by-play in football. He gets too excited to the point he doesn’t tell you what happened until moments later. It’s just’s an animated scream and a garble of words. You know something good happened but are left momentarily wondering what the hell the play was.

I think Buck Suhr may have been given a near lethal cocktail of LEO and is now coming out of recovery.
You are being kind.

Buck totally botched the analysis on “The Reach”. . . continuously throughout the entire review process. I later posted definitive photo evidence showing that, yes, the ball hit out of bounds before it hit the pylon BUT the nose of the ball had already broken the plane of the end zone BEFORE it hit out of bounds. That is, the sequence was (1) successful 2-pt conversion, then (2) ball hits ground out of bounds, then (3) ball hits pylon. Still have the photo evidence.

I hope Buck has rejuvenated himself the past couple years and is back to the Buck of several years ago. He was slipping the last couple years of his last go-around--routinely butchering several IU players' easily pronounceable names, in addition to other less-egregious miscues.

Last edited:
Buck totally botched the analysis on “The Reach”. . . continuously throughout the entire review process. I later posted definitive photo evidence showing that, yes, the ball hit out of bounds before it hit the pylon BUT the nose of the ball had already broken the plane of the end zone BEFORE it hit out of bounds. That is, the sequence was (1) successful 2-pt conversion, then (2) ball hits ground out of bounds, then (3) ball hits pylon. Still have the photo evidence.

I hope Buck has rejuvenated himself the past couple years and is back to the Buck of several years ago. He was slipping the last couple years of his last go-around--routinely butchering several IU players' easily pronounceable names, in addition to other less-egregious miscues.
That's exactly how I saw it... the nose of the football breaking the goal line (barely) BEFORE it hit the ground and the pylon.. I don't know how Greenberg could be that blind and that stupid not to notice that. Oh wait, yes, I do know how he could be that stupid

That's exactly how I saw it... the nose of the football breaking the goal line (barely) BEFORE it hit the ground and the pylon.. I don't know how Greenberg could be that blind and that stupid not to notice that. Oh wait, yes, I do know how he could be that stupid
This is bad..... was the call a score? Or was it called a score on review? I forget.

All I know is, when the play happened, I turned away from the TV in disgust, thinking he hadn't made it in. Then, everyone else started screaming and said it was good. I was stunned. Still am, actually.

This is bad..... was the call a score? Or was it called a score on review? I forget.

All I know is, when the play happened, I turned away from the TV in disgust, thinking he hadn't made it in. Then, everyone else started screaming and said it was good. I was stunned. Still am, actually.
They called a TD on the field and confirmed it by review.... is how I remember it.

They called a TD on the field and confirmed it by review.... is how I remember it.
That's what I thought (and confirmed on watching the YouTube again). So why is Greeny saying there has to be absolute proof to overrule? I thought he was saying it was overturned but there wasn't absolute proof.

I could be wrong, but that's how I heard it.

Anyhow, It's fun to relive the memory of that game. Sometime I'm going to watch the replay of the O$U game and get sick all over again.

Reactions: 76-1 and red hornet
My big issue with Fisch calling football games is he rarely gives the score. It's radio,people aren't there and can't look up at the scoreboard. Give the score, time and quarter after each change of possession at a bare minimum. I've tuned in before and listened for 15 or more minutes before getting a score.

My big issue with Fisch calling football games is he rarely gives the score. It's radio,people aren't there and can't look up at the scoreboard. Give the score, time and quarter after each change of possession at a bare minimum. I've tuned in before and listened for 15 or more minutes before getting a score.
This would have been a good opportunity to find younger replacements that could start fresh with the new Indiana.

I agree on the lack of keeping radio listeners updated on the game details is often annoying.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT