ADVERTISEMENT

BTN at IU today

Watched it last night and rewatching now. I get the sense the hosts haven’t quite seen what IU is doing so they seem impressed but taking a wait and see how it will work. Meaning, not quite the traditional Big style.

They seemed very high on Ponds at DB. Think we got a really good one in him. Yes, they talked about Tayven having a better day but also pointed out it was one day and you need to be able to stack good days. Really hope Tayven’s consistency is developing.

Depth was mentioned as a concern a few times. They talked a lot about how aggressive the D looked but the need to be able to keep the offense on the field to allow the D to stay aggressive.

Found it interesting that the player interviews were all JMU guys. Even in CCC’s interview he named all JMU guys ashen asked about culture.

OL seemed to get nice praise and especially Bostad. Think that’s going to pay off retaining him.

No mention at all about special teams so no insight into our place kicking unit.

Most reviews I’ve seen say the same thing, can you take a Group of 5 all stars and win at the Power 5 level.

This feels like the football version of the movie Moneyball.

Last edited:
Regarding the depth concerns, I wonder what positions are lacking quality players? I think they mentioned inexperience at safety but lb might also be a concern.
They never really did say, but felt like LB and Safety may be where they were focused. Think maybe QB was referenced in another show, good 1-2, but then zero experience after.

Watched it last night and rewatching now. I get the sense the hosts haven’t quite seen what IU is doing so they seem impressed but taking a wait and see how it will work. Meaning, not quite the traditional Big style.

They seemed very high on Ponds at DB. Think we got a really good one in him. Yes, they talked about Tayven having a better day but also pointed out it was one day and you need to be able to stack good days. Really hope Tayven’s consistency is developing.

Depth was mentioned as a concern a few times. They talked a lot about how aggressive the D looked but the need to be able to keep the offense on the field to allow the D to stay aggressive.

Found it interesting that the player interviews were all JMU guys. Even in CCC’s interview he named all JMU guys ashen asked about culture.

OL seemed to get nice praise and especially Bostad. Think that’s going to pay off retaining him.

No mention at all about special teams so no insight into our place kicking unit.

Most reviews I’ve seen say the same thing, can you take a Group of 5 all stars and win at the Power 5 level.

This feels like the football version of the movie Moneyball.
I only think it is interesting because spring and now when btn watches, Jackson had his good days. Rourkes good days seem to be in private.

Hopefully not another bazelak situation

I only think it is interesting because spring and now when btn watches, Jackson had his good days. Rourkes good days seem to be in private.

Hopefully not another bazelak situation
Whoever plays QB we will be in much better hands than we’ve been. These guys have a great record coaching QBs. Look at what happened to Penix when he got with the right people. Night and day.

They brought their favorites with them. When a good coach has favorites there’s a reason…they practice and play like Coach wants them to and don’t stir up drama. I would say they deserve the press until they don’t. I get the idea some of the IU holdovers need to turn it up a few notches!

I was disappointed in the Rourke showing in the spring game. Sure one was throwing against the twos but still looked talented while the other guy, our probable starter, looked OK, but his 'high end' looked pedestrian.

But you don't play as well as Rourke has played over several years if you're pedestrian. So, while I'm glad Tayven is developing, and I root for him, I'm glad we have an experienced starter too. Not worried about a Bazelak sitch. Rourke isn't him and these coaches are smarter too.

Yeah, Tayven may have to wait for a one year starter deal. But I hope he is getting a fair shake, I imagine he is. He could leave for his remaining year if he feels mistreated, or we get outbid, a small worry I have, but I have no reason to think that will be reality.

The coaches need two good QBs at least, for the dings of a season. I'm sure they are pushing Tayven and Rourke both to be ready. We have some frosh talent going for us too. Cue Bill Murray's Carl, "'which is nice".

I know the coaches are confident in the JMU lbs but re watching some of their games last year I am not so sure. They do appear to be quick but not sure about their strength at the point of attack. I hope I am eating crow in a few weeks, lol. Let’s go Hoosiers

Hate to say it but I totally agree with you. From what little I've seen (from Spring and last years tapes) our LBs appear going in to be a weakness rather than a strength... Hopefully I'm dead wrong about that... This is one of the few times I sincerely hope to be very wrong... Maybe our guys realized what was needed from them and have upped their game over the summer...

I will leave it to those more qualified to draw insights from this linked analysis of what Georgia Southern did to exploit JMU’s defense in 2022. Lessons were undoubtedly learned by the coaches from this experience and JMU seemed to have one especially weak CB, but still it is something more tangible to chew on as we consider the upcoming year

Georgia Southern
https://www.sportsinfosolutions.com...ameplan-delivered-james-madison-its-1st-loss/
It looked more like Georgia Southern had better talent at WR than JMU had in the secondary.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT