ADVERTISEMENT

Blidi in portal

Hmm. Let me see...

For us (Indiana), a learning experience obviously. We don't have the NIL funds of the Ohio State's of the world, so we can't endure many (if any) "take-the-money-and-runs". Not wrong about this.

Unfortunately, to be competitive, you have to "front" money in certain occasions on sought after players. Also true, not wrong about this. "Unsecured" upfront money is a risk you might have to take on occasion to be competitive in the marketplace...like a "signing bonus".

We've never "fronted", and then had a player split, until now. Not wrong, this was our first "walk".
Two payment deal agreed upon for this year, wasn't a month by month deal. First half was recently paid as good faith, the rest to be paid after the season.

I have no idea the amount of payments…not my business. But 100% there are monthly payments. That I know.

The two statements above are in direct opposition to one another.

Believe who you want.

Other than not having my NIL contributions wasted, and wanting to have a solid football program, I have no reason to lie here.
DThompson has built up a pretty good reputation on here. One of you is flat out wrong, apparently, the questions are which one and is it intentional or mistaken.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I don't know who he is, sorry.

Does he have a vested interest in protecting Blidi's reputation in this interest?
It's his father, so yeah. But he's also been pretty upfront about the whole situation, if he's to be believed, and, again, he's built up a pretty forthright reputation on here about being honest.

It's his father, so yeah. But he's also been pretty upfront about the whole situation, if he's to be believed, and, again, he's built up a pretty forthright reputation on here about being honest.
OK, well, that makes sense. I'd say he has a VERY vested interest in protecting Blidi's reputation here.

If he's saying Blidi honored all assumed requirements of his NIL "agreement", I can simply say that those who raise and distribute those funds within the Indiana Athletic Department, the Indiana Football program, and the heads of the NIL collectives disagree strongly.

OK, well, that makes sense. I'd say he has a VERY vested interest in protecting Blidi's reputation here.

If he's saying Blidi honored all assumed requirements of his NIL "agreement", I can simply say that those who raise and distribute those funds within the Indiana Athletic Department, the Indiana Football program, and the heads of the NIL collectives disagree strongly.
I'm currently focused on you saying it isn't a monthly payment and him saying it absolutely 100% is a monthly payment.

For us (Indiana), a learning experience obviously. We don't have the NIL funds of the Ohio State's of the world, so we can't endure many (if any) "take-the-money-and-runs".

Unfortunately, to be competitive, you have to "front" money in certain occasions on sought after players.

We've never "fronted", and then had a player split, until now.
So you are standing by your story that this NIL deal was month by month?

Lets be specific in our comments. I don't care how someone "feels" if they got screwed or not. Do you know without a doubt that we paid him a lump sum and were not paying him monthly? If he is getting paid monthly he did not screw anybody. If he got paid a lump sum and then walked then that is trashy as hell.

So do you know?

I'm currently focused on you saying it isn't a monthly payment and him saying it absolutely 100% is a monthly payment.
I was told 1/2 of the "payment" was made when he announced he'd stay (either end of last season or sometime earlier this year). The rest was to be paid at the end of the season. Two payments.

I trust you'll believe my source has intimate access to this information, and has confirmed the payment schedule I laid out.

This was the first, and hopefully the last, NIL agreement that was acted in bad faith. We went the risky cash upfront with 1/2 because we valued him.

Reactions: td75 and vesuvius13
The bottom line is we don’t know what really happened…both sides are strongly hinting that the other is wrong but what is really underscored here is how screwy the NIL rules are.

NIL is supposedly not directly for on field play, so if it’s ostensibly (legally) to sign a poster for a donor or text hi to their kid, etc. and he did that, he technically met his end of the deal. To front six figures with no repercussions if the player walks is 100% foreseeable and you must not be allowed to have a contract with any basic rules at all (even a company sign on bonus can be retroactively pro-rated if an employee bails). People who have a lot of money for this type of stuff are generally too smart (and paranoid) to just float money out there with no gaurantee of a return, so NIL must be even more screwed up than I realized!

The bottom line is we don’t know what really happened…both sides are strongly hinting that the other is wrong but what is really underscored here is how screwy the NIL rules are.

NIL is supposedly not directly for on field play, so if it’s ostensibly (legally) to sign a poster for a donor or text hi to their kid, etc. and he did that, he technically met his end of the deal. To front six figures with no repercussions if the player walks is 100% foreseeable and you must not be allowed to have a contract with any basic rules at all (even a company sign on bonus can be retroactively pro-rated if an employee bails). People who have a lot of money for this type of stuff are generally too smart (and paranoid) to just float money out there with no gaurantee of a return, so NIL must be even more screwed up than I realized!
It's a joke, in its current form.

No one wants to float money out there unprotected, but you have to do it for the prized recruits. Just the way the game is played.

Not sure how many times we've done that, but this is the first time we've had fronted money taken (and run) without a game played.

I was told 1/2 of the "payment" was made when he announced he'd stay (either end of last season or sometime earlier this year). The rest was to be paid at the end of the season. Two payments.

I trust you'll believe my source has intimate access to this information, and has confirmed the payment schedule I laid out.

This was the first, and hopefully the last, NIL agreement that was acted in bad faith. We went the risky cash upfront with 1/2 because we valued him.
I thought Indiana had a top-flight business school, who creates
a contract like that? lol.

• Love
Reactions: td75 and vesuvius13
No one wants to float money out there unprotected, but you have to do it for the prized recruits. Just the way the game is played.

Not sure how many times we've done that, but this is the first time we've had fronted money taken (and run) without a game played.
I know of a particular coach (not with the football program) that was floated $1 million dollars for doing essentially nothing, like it was pocket change, and it was spent on wine and cigars.
The biggest downside was he didn’t enter a portal and leave!

I know of a particular coach (not with the football program) that was floated $1 million dollars for doing essentially nothing, like it was pocket change, and it was spent on wine and cigars.
The biggest downside was he didn’t enter a portal and leave!
I thought we were paying Woodson 4 million a year.

The only way both could be right is there was a middleman/agent (his dad?) who took the 1/2 payment up front and turned around and paid Blidi by the month.

Well, sounds possible to be a little two-faced to me, but I have nothing to back it up.
Saying somebody's been forthright on here isn't really true. Nobody close to it has said anything - on here. Other than 'things this' and 'things that' without anything about what things were .
But I don't expect the laundry to be aired on here.
And maybe things were clear between Blidi and the coaches, but they seemed a little miffed.
Sometimes a man that young can have one intention one month and another a few months later, without it being shady.

It's over. Hope Blidi does OK. Hope our team does OK.

Hope the coaches find some line help. We're not bare. More is better!

Last edited:
Reactions: iueyedoc99
I want to be VERY clear...this had ZERO to do with NIL. Absolutely nothing, and anyone who says differently is incorrect or intentionally misleading a narrative.

My statement above is 100% accurate. You have my word.
As a parting gift, would your son be willing to give his current assessment of this team's strengths and weaknesses as he sees them?

I think we'd all be very interested in a bit of an inside look at things..., and it's not like he's going to alienate the coaching staff anymore than he already has...

Speaking of which..., is there even the remote, outside chance that he simply renegotiates his NIL deal(s) and comes back in time for Fall Camp???

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Brockway

So this has been repeated by a couple of other sources very tight inside the program. And it is also the exact some story I heard. He got half his NIL money and then immediately announced he was gone.

When someone tells you it isn't about the money, then you know it is.....

So this has been repeated by a couple of other sources very tight inside the program. And it is also the exact some story I heard. He got half his NIL money and then immediately announced he was gone.

When someone tells you it isn't about the money, then you know it is.....

I have zero inside info here, but just questioning the timing here.

Matt said he got paid either late last year or when he announced he was coming back. You say he got his money and immediately left.

That's two entirely different stories.

I have zero inside info here, but just questioning the timing here.

Matt said he got paid either late last year or when he announced he was coming back. You say he got his money and immediately left.

That's two entirely different stories.
There are two groupings of NIL payments--the 2023 season and the 2024 season. I'm not going down this road with you again on this issue. Believe it, don't believe, I don't care

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
So you guys are saying he either basically stole the money, or viewed it as owed for past performance since it was already paid.

I hope you're wrong.

If that's the way the team looks at it, nobody can be paid until after the season. Which wouldn't work .

Handshakes don't mean anything, anymore. To many.

So you guys are saying he either basically stole the money, or viewed it as owed for past performance since it was already paid.

I hope you're wrong.

If that's the way the team looks at it, nobody can be paid until after the season. Which wouldn't work .

Handshakes don't mean anything, anymore. To many.
It isn't stealing--nobody said that. That being said, as far as I am aware, the injunction on NCAA rules as to NIL is still in place. If so, a collective can now make the payments conditioned on staying at the university and playing or those monies would have to be repaid. All these players want NIL down payments. If they leave, they get to keep the money and not worry about it. I just saw an NIL contract--many collectives are moving to staggered payments that are back end loaded.....

It isn't stealing--nobody said that.
Good.
What I was hearing was the 2024 down payment was expected to be for a player who was staying.
Hence why I said 'basically stole' meaning reneging on his word.
Bad choice of a word because I understand it wasn't a direct contract violation, or at least that's what I'm gathering from your comments.

If I understand this correctly a group of anonymous individuals on the internet are confused and getting worked up about who did which to whom and when regarding payments to “student athletes “ within a financial arrangement that is essentially without rules.
I do understand that an amateur athlete will not be playing at IU in 2024, but rather at an as yet undetermined institution of higher learning.

If I understand this correctly a group of anonymous individuals on the internet are confused and getting worked up about who did which to whom and when regarding payments to “student athletes “ within a financial arrangement that is essentially without rules.
I do understand that an amateur athlete will not be playing at IU in 2024, but rather at an as yet undetermined institution of higher learning.
Seems like a good summary to me

And I think concerns over any effect on the relatively unregulated NIL efforts in support of the Hoosiers, toward current and future players based on what may or may not have occurred toward whoever may or may not have been involved.

Every college team has to play by the same NIL rules.

Good.
What I was hearing was the 2024 down payment was expected to be for a player who was staying.
Hence why I said 'basically stole' meaning reneging on his word.
Bad choice of a word because I understand it wasn't a direct contract violation, or at least that's what I'm gathering from your comments.
All good by me. I knew what you meant. Wherever this young man goes, he will need some luck. Uprooting and moving potentially across country with two young kids and a wife can't possibly be fun.

Reactions: Rags to Roses
Damn and I thought the shoe and apparel boys caused problems using unscupulous coaches. This NIL trying to find its center is an effing mess. But I believe in capitalism. Remember how long it took to go from mobile phones to handheld cell devices?

"amateur" athlete???

I think that ship has sailed!

And what rules are those?

First rule is no one talks about NIL :)

Badass Anarchy GIF by Adult Swim

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT