ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest Home Game Since '87?

TDr12

Recruit
Apr 16, 2011
Hello fellow fans! I'm excited. I've been an IU football fan for nearly 40 years, and I don't think I've ever been this excited about the team. I've been pondering this, and I honestly think tomorrow's game is the biggest home game we've had since October 24th, 1987.

That day, we hosted #20 Michigan. The Hoosiers already had 1 loss vs. Kentucky in week two, but a Big Ten championship and much more was still very achievable. We had won at #9 OSU two weeks prior, and we went on to beat Michigan that day 14-10.

I know we've had some big games since then, but not this far into the season with this much hope.

Hard to top that day, for sure!! A great day and wonderful memories…Horizontal rain. IU blocked a punt early setting up a short field for our first Td, a Schnell to EJ slant. I believe the game winner was a Schnell option keeper off right tackle. Both teams struggled to throw that day due to the rain. IU was able to contain Jamie Morris runs. Bo whined on and on about crowd noise, having his qb back out from center multiple times wanting a penalty.

This is a big one. I’m not sure if it’s this specific game as much as it is the next three home matchups of Neb, UW, and UM.

Performing well and winning at least two of these would be huge to keep the momentum going. It would also build some belief with our home crowd in a way that has not happened in a long time.

I would say this is the biggest game since the Mallory good years. I thought Tom Allen had turned a huge corner after the Covid season, and the first couple of games the following season were huge. IU football hasn't really ever seen anything like this: 6-0 and 7-0 in year 1 is light years beyond my wildest expectations. I would have loved to see how Hep's career progressed.

I'll be there tomorrow cheering my ass off. If Coach Cig needs me to jump, I'll ask him how high.

Hello fellow fans! I'm excited. I've been an IU football fan for nearly 40 years, and I don't think I've ever been this excited about the team. I've been pondering this, and I honestly think tomorrow's game is the biggest home game we've had since October 24th, 1987.

That day, we hosted #20 Michigan. The Hoosiers already had 1 loss vs. Kentucky in week two, but a Big Ten championship and much more was still very achievable. We had won at #9 OSU two weeks prior, and we went on to beat Michigan that day 14-10.

I know we've had some big games since then, but not this far into the season with this much hope.
Yes, I think this is true. I was at that Michigan game in 87. As time expired, I was on the wall getting ready to jump on the field. A cop looked up at me and said, "Don't you jump." Needless to say, I had consumed mass quantities of alcohol and jumped. I immediately got put into a choke hold. He ended up letting me go because there were already hundreds on the field. But, I can't recall being this excited about a regular season game...ever. A loss here, even a close one, will be a big deflator.

Great thread topic!

I wholeheartedly agree that this is our biggest home game since the Michigan game in '87.

And if we keep winning, we'll soon be talking about the biggest home game since the biggest home game in IU football history - - November 25, 1967.

But first things first. Beat the 'Huskers!

Go Hoosiers!

That was a great game. I had two extra tickets to the game and wound up giving them to a couple of guys that lived at Wilkie with me...as I could not find one of my buddies to go in the rain.

Man that game was fun.

What beautiful weather for this homecoming.

So sitting here in our home in FL before the season started, looking over the IU football schedule, we chose to book flights to come (home) for the Maryland game and the Washington game. I'll be honest, at that time I thought Nebraska might be a step too far for the first year coach at IU and I wanted to be there to see IU compete and hopefully win two very big games. In retrospect I'm so jealous of all of the IU fans and my family who will get to be there tomorrow because this game . . . THIS GAME . . . seems very, very special. No offense to Maryland or Washington but Nebraska's football history makes the potential win tomorrow all the more tantalizing. Nevertheless, my wife and I look forward to seeing everyone next week when the 7-0 Hoosier take it to the Huskies! Meanwhile, I'll be here yelling at the tv as if I was sitting in MS tomorrow. Go HOOSIERS !!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT