ADVERTISEMENT

Big Nebraska Fan

YOTHN

All-American
Jun 20, 2014
We should all be big Nebraska fans going forward. The national perspective of this IU team has started to shift but if they were to win on Saturday vs. Ohio State, I would venture to guess it would be jarring for most across the country. I know that isn't very likely, but I will have my 'Go Big Red' hat on no matter the case.

I think the largest reason the nation is having a hard time coming to grips with this is because it's not really been done to this level before. Yes, coaches have come in and turned teams around. Bad teams have also gone from awful to good in a year. You don't take an awful team last year at a program with the most losses in CFB history and turn them in a genuine title contender of the superpower two conferences, in year one. The only way it happens is because of the current open portal situation that didn't exist until more recently. I expect we may see things like this happen to other programs periodically in the future but it sure is fun (possibly) watching this team be the first one.

It's been a wild ride so far. In Tayven We Trust.

We should all be big Nebraska fans going forward. The national perspective of this IU team has started to shift but if they were to win on Saturday vs. Ohio State, I would venture to guess it would be jarring for most across the country. I know that isn't very likely, but I will have my 'Go Big Red' hat on no matter the case.

I think the largest reason the nation is having a hard time coming to grips with this is because it's not really been done to this level before. Yes, coaches have come in and turned teams around. Bad teams have also gone from awful to good in a year. You don't take an awful team last year at a program with the most losses in CFB history and turn them in a genuine title contender of the superpower two conferences, in year one. The only way it happens is because of the current open portal situation that didn't exist until more recently. I expect we may see things like this happen to other programs periodically in the future but it sure is fun (possibly) watching this team be the first one.

Yeah, that makes sense, especially because if OSU takes a second loss in conference, it gives us cushion in the standings.

Also, I checked up on this yesterday...if Northwestern loses 7 or 8 more games, they pass us on the losingest football team list. That would be nice. I think the earliest they can catch us is next year.

Yeah, that makes sense, especially because if OSU takes a second loss in conference, it gives us cushion in the standings.

Also, I checked up on this yesterday...if Northwestern loses 7 or 8 more games, they pass us on the losingest football team list. That would be nice. I think the earliest they can catch us is next year.
To.me it has always been apples and oranges. How could our schedule be compared with a MAC or a Mountain West invo!vement?

The results speak for themselves: other teams can either recognize it or not. It behoves them to recognize IU's results, so I hope they don't. Either way, they are going to have to score 50 or even 60 to beat us: good luck.

The results speak for themselves: other teams can either recognize it or not. It behoves them to recognize IU's results, so I hope they don't. Either way, they are going to have to score 50 or even 60 to beat us: good luck.
No team in the B1G wants to get into a shootout with us. Matter of fact a few media types have said if the Ohio state game ends up that way they give Cig the advantage. Not sure I totally agree but….

I think Wake Forest is closer. They’re only 5 losses away from us I believe

I looked into this as well. Can you post your source because I looked it up as well, but maybe it wasn't up to date.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/

This site shows Northwestern with 699 losses and IU with 690. Also UTEP has a much worse winning percentage than us.

Reactions: red hornet
I want every team we play to win every game they play that isn't against us...even Purdue...unless they're going undefeated (might root for them to lose a couple in that instance).

The Bucket game will never get any national recognition unless it features two ranked teams. I mean, the closest we've been to even two respectable teams was what, in 2007? Weren't both 6-5 entering the game?

Yes, coaches have come in and turned teams around. Bad teams have also gone from awful to good in a year. You don't take an awful team last year at a program with the most losses in CFB history and turn them in a genuine title contender of the superpower two conferences, in year one.

I've made the same point many times -- the magnitude of this turnaround from one year to another is unprecedented. I've never seen anyone go from worst to first like this team has, ever, in any sport.

Last edited:
Looks like sports reference isn't counting seasons between 1880's and 1898.
Who decides what is included? I found this on the Wiki page that you posted. Not sure it mattered as we only won one game and it was non-conference.

That same year construction began on the new Memorial Stadium, which is still the home of the football team today.[10] In the fall of 1960 the Indiana football program was hit with devastating NCAA sanctions.[19] The sanctions resulted from violations that included the offering of free plane tickets to several athletes along with financial stipends, according to an NCAA report, while other recruits were delivered envelopes filled with cash.[19][20] Indiana denied the charges, arguing that possible recruiting violations were just the work of overzealous alumni.[19] The NCAA, however, didn't buy the claims and saddled Indiana with four years of probation.[19] During this time all Hoosier varsity sports were barred from postseason play.[19][20] The NCAA also disallowed any Indiana win during the 1960 Big Ten season because of Indiana's improper recruiting practices

I've made the same point many time -- the magnitude of this turnaround from one year or another is unprecedented. I've never seen anyone go from worst to first like this team has, ever, in any sport.
ha Its the reason the nation is having a hard time coming to grips with it. It's hard for us and we have sort of been marinating in this logic for a bit.

Who decides what is included? I found this on the Wiki page that you posted. Not sure it mattered as we only won one game and it was non-conference.

That same year construction began on the new Memorial Stadium, which is still the home of the football team today.[10] In the fall of 1960 the Indiana football program was hit with devastating NCAA sanctions.[19] The sanctions resulted from violations that included the offering of free plane tickets to several athletes along with financial stipends, according to an NCAA report, while other recruits were delivered envelopes filled with cash.[19][20] Indiana denied the charges, arguing that possible recruiting violations were just the work of overzealous alumni.[19] The NCAA, however, didn't buy the claims and saddled Indiana with four years of probation.[19] During this time all Hoosier varsity sports were barred from postseason play.[19][20] The NCAA also disallowed any Indiana win during the 1960 Big Ten season because of Indiana's improper recruiting practices
I dunno. Our first loss was apparently to Wabash. I think we should go get revenge.

Reactions: Tony Warwick
Hope you are right, but jmo the loss of Rourke is huge loss to overcome.

The only way it happens is because of the current open portal situation that didn't exist until more recently. I expect we may see things like this happen to other programs periodically in the future but it sure is fun (possibly) watching this team be the first one.

The portal is definitely a huge factor in doing something like this so quickly.

Him keeping a majority of his staff together is likely huge, too.

But as others have mentioned, is how they’re doing it so well. (Side note: I do still find myself hesitating to heap too much praise on what we’re seeing, guarding, of course, against the thing we like to call jinxing it. Or something like that.🙄)

I do think other programs will consider hiring a very successful coach from the lower levels, that can bring most of their staff and possibly players, with them.

All that being said, to do what’s being done here, the coach needs to be very special, right? I think that’s the case with Cig.

Last edited:
The portal is definitely a huge factor in doing something like this so quickly.

Him keeping a majority of his staff together is likely huge, too.

But as others have mentioned, is how they’re doing it so well. (Side note: I do still find myself hesitating to heap too much praise on what we’re seeing, guarding, of course, against the thing we like to call jinxing it. Or something like that.🙄)

I do think other programs will consider hiring a very successful coach from the lower levels, that can bring most of their staff and possibly players, with them.

All that being said, the coach needs to be very special, right? I think that’s the case with Cig.
No of course, it takes good coaching and Cig (at least so far) has proven to be incredibly special. I am implying what we are witnessing has never been done. A rebuild in the pre-portal version of college football required time. You could turn a team around in the early years and even have a decent team in year one, but nothing like this.

Let me put it this way....if Coach Wilson would've come in and taken IU to a bowl game in year 1, we would've put a statue up. Hep merely gave hope to a team that everyone thought was hopeless and that was enough for us to enshrine him into the lure of IU football. No team has ever been gawd awful, had what we thought was the better half of their gawd awful team enter the portal and yet 10 1/2 months later be 7 games into the first season of a super conference and not trailed ONE SECOND of a game! That simply doesn't happen if a coach doesn't bring along his entire staff, players and bring in other talented players, which wasn't possible until the last few years with the portal. That is why I say this is different from anything else we have seen but I can see other programs replicating this as time goes on. Will it be as successful or become commonplace? I doubt it but only time will tell.

All I know is this.....take yourself back to the night of Saturday November 25th of last year. Purdue just carried the bucket off the field. Our coach had a massive buyout attached to his contract that made it feel like a real possibility we were going to be stuck with him for at least another season. We knew players were going to be going into the portal and our recruiting class was not going to change our fortunes. There wasn't one thing positive to look at. On Nov 26th we fired CTA and the days after were just players jumping ship, as to be expected. We hired Cig on Nov 30th but on Nov 29th, there is NO WAY any of us could remotely envision what we are seeing less than a year away. Like our fearless leader, it's completely insane.

No of course, it takes good coaching and Cig (at least so far) has proven to be incredibly special. I am implying what we are witnessing has never been done. A rebuild in the pre-portal version of college football required time. You could turn a team around in the early years and even have a decent team in year one, but nothing like this.

Let me put it this way....if Coach Wilson would've come in and taken IU to a bowl game in year 1, we would've put a statue up. Hep merely gave hope to a team that everyone thought was hopeless and that was enough for us to enshrine him into the lure of IU football. No team has ever been gawd awful, had what we thought was the better half of their gawd awful team enter the portal and yet 10 1/2 months later be 7 games into the first season of a super conference and not trailed ONE SECOND of a game! That simply doesn't happen if a coach doesn't bring along his entire staff, players and bring in other talented players, which wasn't possible until the last few years with the portal. That is why I say this is different from anything else we have seen but I can see other programs replicating this as time goes on. Will it be as successful or become commonplace? I doubt it but only time will tell.

All I know is this.....take yourself back to the night of Saturday November 25th of last year. Purdue just carried the bucket off the field. Our coach had a massive buyout attached to his contract that made it feel like a real possibility we were going to be stuck with him for at least another season. We knew players were going to be going into the portal and our recruiting class was not going to change our fortunes. There wasn't one thing positive to look at. On Nov 26th we fired CTA and the days after were just players jumping ship, as to be expected. We hired Cig on Nov 30th but on Nov 29th, there is NO WAY any of us could remotely envision what we are seeing less than a year away. Like our fearless leader, it's completely insane.
Scott Dolson needs a raise. The man made the best hire since Bill Orwig

Keep in mind, the portal is open for every staff to exploit. Indiana's success appears to have it's basis in CCC's approach, to recruit based on experience and productivity, rather than potential. The guys from Wake, TT, Ohio, JMU etc. Had played a lot of snaps. I'd wager IU has one of, if not the oldest teams in the country.

Keep in mind, the portal is open for every staff to exploit. Indiana's success appears to have it's basis in CCC's approach, to recruit based on experience and productivity, rather than potential. The guys from Wake, TT, Ohio, JMU etc. Had played a lot of snaps. I'd wager IU has one of, if not the oldest teams in the country.
Teams like OSU have veteran depth and talent so I get why they go after potential vs. backfilling with production. If their coaching is great, their potential will be highly productive. We didn't have that luxury and its clear this is/was the right approach.

No matter the case, I trust whatever Cig says I should trust. If he were to call late at night and say, "I need help burying a body..." he wouldn't even need to finish his sentence, I'd already be....

Digging Organized Crime GIF by Law & Order

Those charges were brought to the NCAA by Ohio State

I think we can agree it takes both, proper coach taking advantage of the portal (etc.). I wasn’t meaning to undercut your post.

The things you mentioned here regarding what IU is doing, how they’re doing it, hardly any (some cases, none) other program is doing.

Any program. Not ones with a first year head coach, any program. They all have the same portal available to them.

Plenty of people questioned the players he was bringing in, are they good enough? He got players he felt would be successful in his system. He’s succeeded phenomenally there.

You need to know how to find what you’re looking for. Then putting it on the field. That’s special, and yes, the portal allowed it to happen in such a short time. 🙂

Reactions: YOTHN

ALL IU sports barred from post season play for four years over football infractions…that’s absurd.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT